Revisiting Christian behaviour

Revisiting Christian behaviour

July 8th, 2010, 2:28 am #1

Art asked:
Does anyone have a problem with atheists being christians?
July 6 2010 at 10:12 AM Arthur Dent (no login)
you know, follow christs wisdom, love one another, stay rational, ignore the magic stuff.

Any reason why it couldnt work? Obviously we dont go to heaven, but at least we dont live in hell like the evil magic crusaders.

Seems good to me. We just read more allegories into the book than the fundies do.
What I read above is Art is wondering about whether following Christ's commandments, to love one another, the beatitudes perhaps -- would be a good thing even if you can't accept the "supernatural" magical stuff like his mom was impregnated by god, and he walked on water, and he really was god incarnate.

Gotta admit, I've often though that it seems that how we treat each other is more important than what we believe. As time goes on, this view is reinforced.

Is it more important to believe doctrine, or to accept and follow the message?

As doctrine is man made, the bible refers to them as "doctrines of devils" -- I think the answer from the Bible is clear. The message, of love and forgiveness and doing unto others, is key.

So yeah, if that is what some think it is to be Christian, but can't accept the trappings and doctrines, seems to me they are pretty close to Jesus heart. Much closer than those that honour Jesus with their lips, but betray him with their actions.

House of Free Speech

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

July 8th, 2010, 2:34 am #2

The second one is to love thy neigbour. Does it matter that a person does not believe in God. I would say no, they just have less superannuation when they retire. JB

July 8th, 2010, 2:37 am #3

Art asked:
Does anyone have a problem with atheists being christians?
July 6 2010 at 10:12 AM Arthur Dent (no login)
you know, follow christs wisdom, love one another, stay rational, ignore the magic stuff.

Any reason why it couldnt work? Obviously we dont go to heaven, but at least we dont live in hell like the evil magic crusaders.

Seems good to me. We just read more allegories into the book than the fundies do.
What I read above is Art is wondering about whether following Christ's commandments, to love one another, the beatitudes perhaps -- would be a good thing even if you can't accept the "supernatural" magical stuff like his mom was impregnated by god, and he walked on water, and he really was god incarnate.

Gotta admit, I've often though that it seems that how we treat each other is more important than what we believe. As time goes on, this view is reinforced.

Is it more important to believe doctrine, or to accept and follow the message?

As doctrine is man made, the bible refers to them as "doctrines of devils" -- I think the answer from the Bible is clear. The message, of love and forgiveness and doing unto others, is key.

So yeah, if that is what some think it is to be Christian, but can't accept the trappings and doctrines, seems to me they are pretty close to Jesus heart. Much closer than those that honour Jesus with their lips, but betray him with their actions.

House of Free Speech

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

It's like arguing against the Boy Scout oath.

Salvation and one's "Spiritual Relationship with God" is personal, and between an individual and God. No one else has any business getting in the middle of that. It is as sacred as a marriage, and maybe even moreso, imho.

So regardless of where people are at with their relationship with God, it is a good thing to have people follow the teachings of Christ, the more the better. God will sort out the personal relationships with every individual in His own way and in His own time.

Dumbasses seem to think otherwise and want to force everyone into their religious views and force their relationship with God onto others. Which is an abomination, actually - like the Whore of Babylon, or "spiritual rape" so to speak. Folks can look up all the passages on their own.
Last edited by ever-a-newbie on July 8th, 2010, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2010, 2:40 am #4

why some leave the church. It is not the assembling together that is the problem it is the restrictions imposed by man made doctrines. God is quite capable of being a father to his children. He does not need foster fathers. JB
Last edited by daat on July 8th, 2010, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2010, 2:51 am #5

The second one is to love thy neigbour. Does it matter that a person does not believe in God. I would say no, they just have less superannuation when they retire. JB
I realize you are speaking tongue in cheek, perhaps. But I can see how all rewards and corrections are not the same. Why would they be? And corrections truly too are rewards, in the long run.

We'll all be chastened.

And I believe we'll return, hopefully getting things more right ..

House of Free Speech

~Bertrand Russell

July 8th, 2010, 2:57 am #6

can be simplified by saying that he uses this world to <strong>form a soul</strong> in a person that he can dwell through. God's system of rewards and punishments are more aligned to sculpturing that soul. Sons are chastened. Sounds bad but is really a good thing. JB

July 8th, 2010, 3:57 am #7

Less superannuation - sounds like a threat

Your post reminded me of this poem - it is about that second commandment (which is just like the first)

ABOU BEN ADHEM

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An Angel writing in a book of gold:
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said,
"What writest thou?" The Vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord
Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the Angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerily still; and said, "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The Angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And, lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest!

JAMES HENRY LEIGH HUNT

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)

JB
JB

July 8th, 2010, 4:06 am #8

They may have to work another six days. God is an economist. JB

July 8th, 2010, 4:14 am #9

All workers get the same pay at the end of the shift. - makes no difference whether thay work the whole day, or just the last few minutes.

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)

JB
JB

July 8th, 2010, 4:21 am #10

some take longer than others. Remembering, that God has all the time he wants. JB