Question re strange popup

March 30th, 2010, 5:26 am #1

This screen has popped up twice in the past few days. It was accompanied by a message from Norton saying that a recent attempt to attack my computer was blocked.

Here is the screen message - no I did not click the link.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!" <i>
(Thanks Kristy)
</i>

March 30th, 2010, 6:07 am #2

It was malware. I downloaded and installed a program which removed it.

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!" <i>
(Thanks Kristy)
</i>

March 30th, 2010, 1:30 pm #3

Slip by Norton, isn't it?

I get the feeling that Norton is pretty "asleep at the wheel."

-Vince

March 30th, 2010, 2:01 pm #4

Norton did notify me that "A recent attempt tp attack your computer was blocked", but I had to use the Anti-Malware program to get rid of it.

(Thanks Kristy)
</i>

March 30th, 2010, 6:43 pm #5

What that's all about. The message sounds like a Norton message but there's so much spy vs spy stuff going on now -where malware is POSING as anti-virus programs- you can't be sure from a distance, exactly what is transpiring.

The good thing is that you actually found something to get rid of whatever it was.

The thing with malware too, is that the people who are creating the stuff HAVE full access to all the AV programs around and so they craft their applications to prevent detection by the most popular AV programs. (They test to make sure). Thus, you might find that some obscure cheap/free AV program will identify the stuff whereas the front line AV programs will then miss it.

-Vince