Philosophy studies for children beneficial.: School

Philosophy studies for children beneficial.: School

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

December 31st, 2011, 8:42 pm #1

Children show IQ improvements after short course in philosophy.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/educ ... s.15919621

Iceman
Iceman

December 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm #2

Perhaps if this model works so well with the young that it may even apply to older folks - like some that often visit this site.

Iceman
Iceman

December 31st, 2011, 11:51 pm #3

Was watching the news this morning and they showed a huge parade of people dressed as Vikings. They didn't explain what it was about. I'm somewhat curious as I understand Vikings weren't really welcome by Celts in early years. Might you enlighten me just a TAD.

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

January 1st, 2012, 8:07 am #4

Hi, Ice. that would be in the Orkney and Shetland Islands, which were Norse for centuries. The DNA of the people is predominantly Norse and Norse culture and thinking, language, surnames are everywhere.

The ceremony would culminate in the burning of a token Viking longboat? This is called "Up Hella A'" and symbolises their 'no turning back' outlook - a very tough people. The actually landed in Canada/ America some two centuries before Columbus (as did Irish Monks) Their very manoeverable long boats dominated all of the Northern waters as far south as the Mediterranean - all of seaboard Europe, Scotland, Ireland, both east and West coasts of England.
It goes without saying that they are superb seamen and physically very strong and hardy.
They are great people, very friendly, open and hospitable.

Further down the East coast of Scotland where they have long been established, they have fire festivals in the dead of winter. Remember the long dark winters of Scandinavia? In summer it is possible to read a newspaper at midnight out of doors, but in winter the opposite applies.

Iceman
Iceman

January 1st, 2012, 6:21 pm #5

I very much appreciate you taking the time for a thoughtful response. I knew about the Vikings coming to North America. They actually went into the Great Lakes and as far west to Wisconsin. There is a town where some stayed and settled. I got to check out the Irish Monks. Sounds very interesting.

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

January 1st, 2012, 7:33 pm #6

The ocean-going long ships were quite small and the Vikings had a strategy in sailing to the head of a sea loch, dragging the boats across a suitable bit of ground to a nearby fresh water loch - then attacking the unwary settlements from the rear.

This low lying strip of land is called Tarbet/ Tarbert and they are to be found in several locations in Scotland.

Not sure if the name is from gaidhlig or Norse but in effect, this tactic rendered the longships similar to todays 4 wheel drives. Longships were the only means of returning home - usually in October - and losing the boat would mean a slow death in a hostile country.