Just a little snippet out of the paper this morning... shows how places differ

Just a little snippet out of the paper this morning... shows how places differ

July 24th, 2010, 11:05 pm #1

I dont assume that forums readers know or care what is going on in Australia, but it does highlight that what happens in the US isnt necessarily happening anywhere else in the world.

We are about a month out of a federal election where we vote in a new federal government (house of representatives, congress) Many new senators will be elected. The incumbent non conservative government will probably get re-elected after having a sudden drop in popularity earlier this year and replacing the RC Prime Minister Kevin Rudd with the Atheist Julia Gillard (The government can, but doesnt normally do this).

The Liberal Party are our conservatives, currently out of power at a federal level.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 10q12.html
AAP

A Liberal candidate in western Sydney has reportedly posted anti-Islamic entries on Facebook and written to church leaders asking for their support against his Muslim Labor opponent.

David Barker, candidate for the seat of Chifley, has been forced to shut down his Facebook account by Liberal Party officials, the Sunday Telegraph reports.

The paper says the candidate, who calls himself a "man of strong Christian faith", has accused Labor of moving the nation closer to being a Muslim country.

"I am going to win this seat. I will claim it as mine and when I get in I will give my votes all of them to God who is on the side of the Liberal Right," Mr Barker reportedly wrote on Facebook.

Meanwhile, in a letter to Christian leaders in his electorate, Mr Barker asked for their support, pointing out Julia Gillard is an "atheist" and his opponent in Chifley, Ed Husic, a "strong Moslem", the paper reports.

Mr Barker's extreme views will put pressure on the Liberals to reconsider his endorsement as the party candidate, the paper says.

From a point of a strong conservative right wing christian, Mr Barker has only said the truth, a strong believer saying what he believes by biblical methods to be obviously right.
Julia Gillard would have no reason to help him of course, for many reasons. In the meantime his party has the dilemma (delimma for Nucc and Jack) of replacing an unelectable candidate only 4 weeks out from the election. This guys comments might actually be acceptable in the US? Should they tone him down (probably not possible) and leave him or replace him with some one a little more acceptable?

I just thought it was ominously weird that these sort of people are starting to pop up in australia. They certainly arent mainstream, but we are getting culturally invaded by the lunatic right and their influence is rising. So from now on the danger rises that people wont flow backwards and forwards between the main two parties based upon policies, but there will be more people at the extremes who will never budge because the other side is totally acceptable. More people permanently disenfranchised. Will lead to the way it is in the US now.

Just an observation. It will be interesting to see how Australia responds to Barkers comments. It could be ugly.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzq0p ... o1_500.jpg

Zombie Jesus who sort of came back from the dead...

<i>Away in a graveyard, a stone overhead
The zombie lord Jesus is raised from the dead
The bones and the corpses are at his command
And rise like their master to swarm o'er the land!
The women are screaming, then running away
Poor Mary and Martha are gnawed where they lay
I fear thee, lord Jesus, your curséd undeath
With worms in your bowels and rot on your breath.
Have mercy, lord Jesus, don't eat me today
Next year I'll be bigger, I promise! I pray
Some shaman or rabbi or priestess or such
Will stake you and save us from your deadly touch.</i>

I know Bible literalists apologists have their explanations, but they are ultimately just <b><i>band aids over bull sh!t.</b></i>

Biblical Pitfalls .http://www.network54.com/Forum/660399/

July 24th, 2010, 11:19 pm #2

hey Art

This is not a knock - just an observation. On my visits to Oz, I did notice more racism there than I see in Canada, particularly toward the Muslims. Gotta watch those christian fanatics - they are inclined to be violent and dangerous.

I also noted a lot of anti-USA sentiment, despite the fact that the then PM (Howard) was a Bush worshipping worm (just my opinion). Here is a picture I took near Margaret River.

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)

Arthur Dent
Arthur Dent

July 25th, 2010, 2:13 am #3

from there,he rode the 911 wave, until it broke from world wide anti bush Sentiment. He hitched his horse to Bushs post and went out with Bush.

In one sense I can empathise with Howard, he was blocks away from the WTC's (visiting his mate Dubya, I think) when it went down. He's never wavered from the Dubya doctrine since.

You were over in the west? Very conservative country. We do suffer from a certain cultural cringe, and a dominating influence of US TV, corporate and churchianity working hard on us, its generally not appreciated.

July 25th, 2010, 2:28 am #4

We went to WA on our second visit. First visit we rented a car and took our time driving and swimming our way to Brisbane. We parked the car and flew to Airlie Beach and went over to The Reef. Fantastic fun.

I want to come back again - there is so much to see. I have a friend in Alice Springs that I would like to visit. We may get back next January or February because we are planning to go somewheres in Asia. If we get to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, we may be able to swing it.

Nice talking to you Art.

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)

Arthur Dent
Arthur Dent

July 25th, 2010, 7:33 am #5

You'd probably find that Australia which is roughly about the size of the USA, also is a land of many contrasts. deserts, virgin rain forests, snowy peaks, vast farmlands, tourist meccas, industrial parks. Australia is sought out often because it is like an Island out of time, dinosaurs roam across the northern end of Australia still, and the landscape is harsh and beautiful too. The west as you will know is a resources boom mecca which is keeping our economy percolating well through all the worlds issues.

We are also blessed by a lack of irrational thought from irrational people posing as "real" Christians, which tends to damage any country. Look what "real Moslems" did to Iran and Afganistan.

Look what Jack is doing to the boards he frequents. With guys like him, I dont need to delve any deeper, which is a sort of shame, I did sort of want to discuss the bible for its merits, not its errors, but guys like him wont let others get off his doctrinal tightrope.

Anyone else noticed that?