Jesus Christ of Nazareth

Jesus Christ of Nazareth

lox
lox

November 22nd, 2010, 5:03 pm #1

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the

corner.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given

among men, whereby we must be saved.

November 22nd, 2010, 5:16 pm #2

Some question about that.

Just sayin'.

-30 windchills brrr .. hope you are well Loxoco.

November 22nd, 2010, 5:19 pm #3

From an atheist site .. but truth is truth, right?

http://mwillett.org/atheism/Jesus-the-Nazarene.htm
Jesus the Nazarene
By Keith Prosser

The followers of Jesus during his lifetime were known as Nazarenes, not Christians. They were extremely devout Judaists and scrupulous in their observance of Mosaic law. They believed Jesus was a Messiah, that is a man (i.e. not a god) who was chosen by God for some great purpose, in this case to rid Palestine of Roman rule and establish an ideal Judaic state. (you can get this from Josphus and other ancient sources - I'm not making it up!).

This put the Nazarenes in direct conflict with the official Judaic establishment of Pharisees and Sadducees who had by this time become corrupt and uninterested in religion beyond the prestige and income that accrued from it. The Nazarenes threatened nothing less that revolution, and the priests attempted to destroy the cult, executing its leader (Jesus) and oppressing the Nazarene rank and file, using mercenary agents such as Saul/Paul.

Step 1 then is the historical reality of a Jesus being considered by his followers to be a human, albeit specially one chosen by God. The latter part of that is wrong, but the former is surely true enough!

The oppressor Saul became the follower Paul. There is no reason to doubt that this was the result of what Saul/Paul took to be a vision and revelation - it was a superstitious age. As a result of this 'vision' Paul got the idea that Jesus was the actual Son of God and a god in his own right, quite a very different 'Christology' from the 'human Jesus' beliefs of the existing followers of Jesus, the Nazarenes.

According to Acts, Paul contacted the Nazarenes and preached alongside them. This is unlikely - Paul's divine Jesus was incompatible with the Nazarene's ideas and would probably have been considered blasphemous by such pious Judaists. In Galatians Paul writes that after his conversion he went to the Gentiles independently - this is probably true, or at least truer that the Acts version! Presumably the writers of Acts (Luke?) wanted to conceal the radical divergence between Nazarene and Pauline Christologies.

So Step 2 is that Paul successfully promotes the notion of Jesus as the Son of God across the Mediterranean while the Nazarenes (with their 'Human Jesus' meme) are isolated in Palestine and under constant harassment from their own priests. Small wonder then that it is the Pauline version of Jesus that became dominant, so Jesus became - in effect if not in fact - the Son of God.

It may be worth pointing out that Messiah and Christ are supposed to be equivalent, both meaning 'anointed'. However the Paulines use 'Christ' to mean 'Son of God'.

Step 3 occurred when a follower of Paul decided to make Jesus more accessible to the common man.

Paul's epistles are hardly exciting, being basically theological treatises. The Gospel writers did not bother with philosophical arguments. To show Jesus was the son of god (an idea they took from Paul) Jesus was depicted as the performer of great miracles and healings. Whether the gospel writers made up most of the episodes themselves or took them from rumour and oral legend is neither here nor there. The point is that the miraculous elements of the Gospels are clearly fictitious. It is a separate step in the development of the 'Jesus legend' because Paul knows nothing about Jesus' miracles - he mentions no miracle performed by Jesus, other than the special case of the resurrection.

So Jesus became in the hands of the Gospel writers a powerful magician. Soon he was given the conventional attributes of Mediterranean gods and heroes, such a a virgin birth. Jesus - in reality a deluded Judaic zealot - had become as we know Him today.

So a Christian is someone who believes in a inflated legend that is well divorced from historical reality.
Keith Prosser March 2007

November 22nd, 2010, 6:01 pm #4

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the

corner.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given

God did not create so he could dominate.
The Source created because IT wanted to Know Itself.

That means go explore and Think for yourself and evolve...

Love
Jackie

Hope this day is finding you well and happy and in a Loving Way, Lox my dear.

lox
lox

November 22nd, 2010, 7:57 pm #5

you have a lame source if it has to go find itself to know itself. Sad!

My post stands and Mondo what do you have to say for yourself as compared to a copy and paste?

November 22nd, 2010, 8:24 pm #6

To stagnate means to wither then fade....

And IT is not MY Source, IT is The Source...

Your god is an incarnation of The Source. As is Yeshua. And you believe these 'both' to be stagnant? That is sad, imo. Everything evolves and changes
Is not evolution infinite?

If God is already all It can be,, what do you think our existence is all about?
To do what exactly?

ALL that we do should be as a contribution to the Evolving Consciousness.
You think to Know Yourself is sad as well?

Listen for the Guiding Intelligence and dance towards It's higher frequencies. Breathe with the Divine Breath, this gift to us. Realise this LIFE, this physical experience is a gift and we experience for The Source and we help evolve the I AM...

What about the standing on your own two feet? Instead of needing Yeshua as a crutch? Any thoughts?

Thks

Love
Jackie

November 22nd, 2010, 8:42 pm #7

corner.

Lox said: Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

And for the thousandth time, how do you know this?

Let me guess... some old book of fairy tales said so. Right?

-----------------------------------------------
"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church." -- Ferdinand Magellan

November 22nd, 2010, 8:46 pm #8

My post stands and Mondo what do you have to say for yourself as compared to a copy and paste?
The dude that runs at the first sign of an uncomfortable question, and what answers are given, are not his original thoughts but merely copied and pasted from a book of fables...

... is demanding that someone else says something for themselves?

Oh, that's rich.

How about YOU answer for yourself instead of hiding behind fairy tales?

Answer my questions without falling back on unsubstantiated magic, for a change. Or JVH's questions.

They're very simple questions.

Seems if you have nothing to hide, you wouldn't punish inquiry.

-----------------------------------------------
"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church." -- Ferdinand Magellan

November 22nd, 2010, 9:48 pm #9

Well, I was just pondering on the Nazareth versus Nazarene thing, and provided a copy/paste on that.

As regards your post, if that is the message God gave you then "cool". I do believe that God gives us messages, but that these are meant for us only. S/he doesn't depend on humans to pass messages on to others .. that's how the Priesthood got started in the first place.

peace

November 22nd, 2010, 9:55 pm #10

In matters spiritually, Lox should mind HIS business, you mind YOURS, I will mind MINE, and God will mind all the rest!

Love
Jackie
X