Does Hell Make Sense?

Does Hell Make Sense?

April 12th, 2010, 8:38 pm #1

Does Hell Make Sense?

Hell, in the traditional Christian sense, is a place of eternal torment where unrepentant and unredeemed sinners are punished until the end of time. Does a Hell of this kind make sense, given that it was supposedly created by an infinitely just and loving God?

The first thing we have to decide is what kind of crime is so severe that justice demands eternal punishment in payment. In those versions of Christianity that hold with this image of Hell, being born human and not accepting Jesus as your savior may be considered sufficient to earn you damnation. They might say that all the little sins over the course of one's lifetime, particularly when added to the "original sin" of Adam and Eve, earn one an eternity of torment.

This essentially makes being tortured forever humanity's default state, something you have to get out of instead of something that you are given as punishment for a specific act.

Others might say that the sin of rebelling against God - either by refusing to recognize him or breaking his laws - is such a large sin that eternal punishment is completely just. But isn't the magnitude of a crime in part determined by how much damage it does or could do? And isn't it true that a mere human could not possibly do any damage to this crime's victim - God? That leaves us with eternal punishment for doing something that caused no damage. Not exactly just.

Perhaps sinful humanity is so dirty and repulsive that we can't be allowed into Heaven without first being cleaned by Jesus. Okay, maybe that's the case. But then why is the only alternative to Heaven endless torture? Why couldn't God create a place that isn't Heaven, but that the only thing horrible about it is its distance from God? Wouldn't that be more loving and just?

Some argue that God doesn't send anyone to Hell. Rather, people choose to go to Hell by rejecting God. If that's the case, don't you think these people would change their mind as soon as they experienced Hell? Wouldn't they immediately repent of their sins and accept God? If they didn't, could they in any sense be said to be in their right mind, and might not it be unjust for God to be punishing crazy people so severely?

Some religious people say that it is too late to change your mind once you are in Hell. You had your chance to repent, but didn't take it. This makes as much sense as a parent whose child wants to eat a cactus forcing the child to eat the whole thing after it pricked its tongue and found that cactus-eating is a bad idea. And to make the analogy more exact, the parent wouldn't just make the child eat the cactus, it would make the child eat cactus after cactus for all eternity.

This doesn't sound like justice.

In fact, nothing about Hell sounds like justice.

Could an infinitely loving, good, and just being really have created such a system?

###

April 12th, 2010, 9:02 pm #2

If I create a place for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me, am I obligated to allow those whose intention it is to spoil what I've created for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me by telling me how to run what I've created? I'm being just in creating a place for them where they can enjoy their misery forever. Hell makes A LOT OF SENSE.

Unless we LOVE the truth, we cannot know it ~~ Pascal

Iceman
Iceman

April 12th, 2010, 10:02 pm #3

Does Hell Make Sense?

Hell, in the traditional Christian sense, is a place of eternal torment where unrepentant and unredeemed sinners are punished until the end of time. Does a Hell of this kind make sense, given that it was supposedly created by an infinitely just and loving God?

The first thing we have to decide is what kind of crime is so severe that justice demands eternal punishment in payment. In those versions of Christianity that hold with this image of Hell, being born human and not accepting Jesus as your savior may be considered sufficient to earn you damnation. They might say that all the little sins over the course of one's lifetime, particularly when added to the "original sin" of Adam and Eve, earn one an eternity of torment.

This essentially makes being tortured forever humanity's default state, something you have to get out of instead of something that you are given as punishment for a specific act.

Others might say that the sin of rebelling against God - either by refusing to recognize him or breaking his laws - is such a large sin that eternal punishment is completely just. But isn't the magnitude of a crime in part determined by how much damage it does or could do? And isn't it true that a mere human could not possibly do any damage to this crime's victim - God? That leaves us with eternal punishment for doing something that caused no damage. Not exactly just.

Perhaps sinful humanity is so dirty and repulsive that we can't be allowed into Heaven without first being cleaned by Jesus. Okay, maybe that's the case. But then why is the only alternative to Heaven endless torture? Why couldn't God create a place that isn't Heaven, but that the only thing horrible about it is its distance from God? Wouldn't that be more loving and just?

Some argue that God doesn't send anyone to Hell. Rather, people choose to go to Hell by rejecting God. If that's the case, don't you think these people would change their mind as soon as they experienced Hell? Wouldn't they immediately repent of their sins and accept God? If they didn't, could they in any sense be said to be in their right mind, and might not it be unjust for God to be punishing crazy people so severely?

Some religious people say that it is too late to change your mind once you are in Hell. You had your chance to repent, but didn't take it. This makes as much sense as a parent whose child wants to eat a cactus forcing the child to eat the whole thing after it pricked its tongue and found that cactus-eating is a bad idea. And to make the analogy more exact, the parent wouldn't just make the child eat the cactus, it would make the child eat cactus after cactus for all eternity.

Could an infinitely loving, good, and just being really have created such a system?

###
N/M

JVH

April 12th, 2010, 10:15 pm #4

Does Hell Make Sense?

###

Improved!! Now With T-Formula!!

People are intrinsically intelligent

When people are put together, they could become a herd
When people turn a herd, they could become sheeple
When people turn sheeple, they could become dumb animals
When people turn dumb animals, they become treated as such

April 12th, 2010, 10:28 pm #5

Does Hell Make Sense?

###
If "God" lost so much as one "soul" to "Hell"...
Then, quite simply...
-- "God" has Lost.

-PRev1-

President Barrack Hussein Obama

-- Nobel Peace Prize, 2009 --
"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
-- George Orwell, "1984" --

JVH

April 12th, 2010, 10:41 pm #6

If I create a place for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me, am I obligated to allow those whose intention it is to spoil what I've created for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me by telling me how to run what I've created? I'm being just in creating a place for them where they can enjoy their misery forever. Hell makes A LOT OF SENSE.

Unless we LOVE the truth, we cannot know it ~~ Pascal
--If I create a place for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me, am I obligated to allow those whose intention it is to spoil what I've created for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me by telling me how to run what I've created?--

It shouldn't be a problem since a) you made it that way b) you are all-powerful.

--I'm being just in creating a place for them where they can enjoy their misery forever.--

You are not being just, you are being illogical.

--Hell makes A LOT OF SENSE.--

It doesn't, since you are being illogical.

April 12th, 2010, 11:04 pm #7

who knew no sin. He touched me... He told me He was preparing a place for me. His name is Holy.
I am unclean. A Holy God touched me! I don't know about all that other business. I was never scared of hell anyway.
His touch was so different. I fell at His feet and cried, "I am unclean!" This feeling was so different.
This man, set me upright, wahsed me. I felt clean... HEll? Whats that? I do know this, there will nothing unclean enter there. Louis

April 13th, 2010, 5:49 am #8

--If I create a place for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me, am I obligated to allow those whose intention it is to spoil what I've created for my pleasure and for the good of all who want to enjoy my pleasure with me by telling me how to run what I've created?--

It shouldn't be a problem since a) you made it that way b) you are all-powerful.

--I'm being just in creating a place for them where they can enjoy their misery forever.--

You are not being just, you are being illogical.

--Hell makes A LOT OF SENSE.--

It doesn't, since you are being illogical.

God is the one who's going to seperate the tares from the wheat? The wheat is said to be going to be cast into the fire. In another place it is called outter darkness. I don't know which is worse. At least in hell you'ed get you mind off the total darlness you'ed be in.
And, did you know that the Bible teaches that there a vessals that are fit for destruction? Heaven or hell is a two sided question. It is not just a yes or no question. Louis

Louis Shammah
Louis Shammah

April 13th, 2010, 2:56 pm #9

If "God" lost so much as one "soul" to "Hell"...
Then, quite simply...
-- "God" has Lost.

-PRev1-

President Barrack Hussein Obama

-- Nobel Peace Prize, 2009 --
"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
-- George Orwell, "1984" --
And righteousness will not mix with sin. If you think you are going to be a part of the Holy with that big baggage of sin in your life you are just blowing in the wind. Remember that song by Peter, Paul and Mary? That answer is not blowing in the wind. Its set in stone. And, self righteousnes ia as filthy rags in His presence. Louis

lox
lox

April 13th, 2010, 3:17 pm #10

It must be made Heaven, othewise you wont get out of it.

I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven.

Hell is the emptiness within and a great darkness that must be filled with light.

The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

Ask the Lord to have mercy on you, religious or otherwise....dont matter.

Its about getting out!
Its about the abomination in the holy place where hell abides, even if you are religious and can quote bible.

The man of sin..............who is religious....the great ego that God hates and is after it! Until Christ comes how can one get out?

The House of God must be cleaned out!

The man of sin lives in the heart, thus where hell is!