Charles Darwin had a friend who was breeding dragons

Charles Darwin had a friend who was breeding dragons

Tim
Tim

January 31st, 2012, 6:26 am #1

to see what color variations he could get. Breeding pterodactyls in 1874 AD.
Blue males and silver females.

On the other hand, if one or two males were to vary ever so slightly in paleness, and the variations were from the first limited in their transmission to the male sex, the task of making a new breed of the desired kind would be easy, for such males would simply have to be selected and matched with ordinary females. An analogous case has actually occurred, for there are breeds of the pigeon in Belgium ^896 in which the males alone are marked with black striae. So again Mr. Tegetmeier has recently shown ^897 that dragons not rarely produce silver-colored birds, which are almost always hens; and he himself has bred ten such females. It is on the other hand a very unusual event when a silver male is produced; so that nothing would be easier, if desired, than to make a breed of dragons with blue males and silver females. This tendency is indeed so strong that when Mr. Tegetmeier at last got a silver male and matched him with one of the silver females he expected to get a breed with both sexes thus colored; he was, however, disappointed, for the young male reverted to the blue color of his grandfather, the young female alone being silver. No doubt with patience this tendency to reversion in the males, reared from an occasional silver male matched with a silver hen, might be eliminated, and then both sexes would be colored alike; and this very process has been followed with success by Mr. Esquilant in the case of silver turbits.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iArG1d ... &q&f=false

Calling it a bird and a dragon, would be a pterodactyl.
In the next paragraph Darwin talks about fowls, birds with feathers, not dragons or pterodactyls.

Interesting!

Tim
Tim

January 31st, 2012, 7:06 am #2

hehehe
What can I say?

You can delete this if you want Mondo.
Thanks.

January 31st, 2012, 4:22 pm #3

How about be honest for once and admit that you were wrong?

-----------------------------------------------
"Atheism is an effect of knowledge about religion, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That's how you make atheists." -- Dave Silverman, President of American Atheists

Tim
Tim

January 31st, 2012, 8:52 pm #4

How about be honest for once and admit that you were wrong?
--------------------------------------

Go ahead, rub it in Doc

My replying to myself was to say I think I was wrong. I didn't know Charles called pigeons dragons. Charles is very confused. Cows are not monkeys and pigeons are not dragons.

Making up definitions of words is against the rules of reason and discussion.

Charles says;
Hay did you see that turtle gallop and jump over the fence?

Tim says;
Are you sure it was a turtle?!?!?!

Charles says;
Well it was a horse, but horses can be called turtles, didn't you know that?

Tim says;
Ahhhh.... OK what ever you say Charles.

February 1st, 2012, 4:16 pm #5

Tim said: I didn't know Charles called pigeons dragons. Charles is very confused. Cows are not monkeys and pigeons are not dragons.

Sweet Jeebus, it still went over your head, didn't it? It gets very tiresome correcting you all the time.

During the 19th century, pigeon breeders had a specific species of pigeons that they called dragons.

Here is an Australian newspaper article from 1890 talking about Blue Dragon pigeons.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 09,1791678

And, here is a book from the same breeder mentioned by Darwin (William Bernhard Tegetmeier) that describes this species of pigeon called "dragons".

http://books.google.com/books?id=N9RbAA ... ns&f=false

Don't you hate being wrong ALL the time?

Please... stick with your fairy tales. Biology will only confuse you more than you already are.

"Atheism is an effect of knowledge about religion, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That's how you make atheists." -- Dave Silverman, President of American Atheists
Last edited by edstrange13 on February 1st, 2012, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Tim

February 1st, 2012, 9:42 pm #6

I understand Doc.

I had a Mustang and a Cougar, and they were both Fords.

It didn't go over my head

Charles should have specified they were Dragon Pigeons, not just dragons.
My lack of knowledge.

Thanks for your help
Like I didn't admit to my mistake right away.

Peace

February 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm #7

You "sorta" admitted your mistake, but then it seemed you were trying to wiggle out of your mistake by attempting to blame Charles Darwin for your lack of knowledge of pigeons.

However, let's give credit where credit is due.

Your sorta, kinda admitted mistake is noted.

Tim
Tim

February 2nd, 2012, 7:21 pm #8

You "sorta" admitted your mistake, but then it seemed you were trying to wiggle out of your mistake by attempting to blame Charles Darwin for your lack of knowledge of pigeons.
However, let's give credit where credit is due.
Your sorta, kinda admitted mistake is noted. happy.gif
---------------------------------

You just wanted to make a Circus out of it
Me no dumby

February 3rd, 2012, 1:53 pm #9

Tim said: You just wanted to make a Circus out of it

You're the one who made the scene. I merely pointed out your ignorance about a particular species of bird that you were criticizing a biologist about. As usual, it turns out the biologist was correct... and you were incorrect.

As usual.

Tim said: Me no dumby(sic)

No, you're not dumb. Just ignorant of a great many things, and have a tendency to engage your mouth before your brain.

Darwin was talking about the breeding of blue dragons, and you scoffed at him, without taking the time to really discover what he was actually talking about. You should have realized that real biologists (as opposed to religious "biologists") don't really believe in dragons (ie: the mythical, fire-breathing variety). Instead of trying to figure out what Darwin was talking about, you decided you knew enough and ran with it.

You were presumptuous. You started talking before actually trying to learn the whole story and take everything into context.

Such is the hallmark of ignorant, uneducated people.

I'd like to help you with the learning disability you apparently have, but it will require you to put your superstitions and fairy tales in the proverbial back seat so that your brain actually has a chance to work unhindered.

But I think we both know your attitude to that proposition.

Ignorance is bliss, eh, my deluded friend?

Last edited by edstrange13 on February 3rd, 2012, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Tim

February 3rd, 2012, 11:40 pm #10

""Instead of trying to figure out what Darwin was talking about, you decided you knew enough and ran with it.""

Your exactly right Doc.

""You were presumptuous. You started talking before actually trying to learn the whole story and take everything into context.""

That's true Doc.

""Such is the hallmark of ignorant, uneducated people.""

In the context of how you put it that's true.
But there is a deeper truer truth to ignorance.
It stems from insecurity and pride and ego if you want to know the truth.
Like you living in your bubble telling yourself; "all is well and orderly in my bubble".. Not realizing anything but the physical aspect of the universe.
When there is electrical spiritual radio phenomenon all around us which is actually what you are. You are not those cells that make up your brain, you control those cells and regulate the. They change positions and duties at your will, physically. That's just basic scientific fact, but it doesn't fit into your bubble.

""I'd like to help you with the learning disability you apparently have, but it will require you to put your superstitions and fairy tales in the proverbial back seat so that your brain actually has a chance to work unhindered. But I think we both know your attitude to that proposition.""

I perfectly understand your position and view of the universe Doc.
Now we need to take a sharp needle and pop your bubble, but that has to be done by you. I'm simply offering you the needle, in a spiritual way. But then you don't really believe in spirituality. Ironic isn't it?.. Therefor your ignorance prevails. But that's your decision, kind of like "Buckle down the hatches there a spiritual storm coming."
But wait a minute, there is no such thing, because I can't see it or feel its texture. When in reality you do feel it, spiritually, because you are a spiritual being living in a flesh body.