Bertrand Russell on religion (1959)

Bertrand Russell on religion (1959)

November 30th, 2011, 7:56 pm #1

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-----------------------------------------------
"Not one man in a thousand has the strength of mind or the goodness of heart to be an atheist." -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

December 1st, 2011, 4:25 am #2

Is there any benefit to belief. None that he could think of!~

These guys don't think too deeply because EVERYTHING we enjoy in life is predicated in our belief about what we are enjoying.

You enjoy a wonderful moment in nature? Well, someone nearby, in a grouchy mood will NOT see or comprehend YOUR "reality."

You enjoy a wonderful relationship with a significant other? That's predicated in your belief that your partner is of the same opinion and not cheating on you, LOL. You find out that you've been mistaken and your partner is secretly having an affair with someone else and then see just how much of the same experience is enjoyed as before -as being fact-based.

Everything meaningful to us is rooted in our imagination and belief about what is happening.

So if a person has a deep religious belief about God and it's helpful and liberating to that person ... then it's a beneficial thing for that person.

Where religion is detrimental is where the believer feels limited and shackled by his own belief.

-Vince

Iceman
Iceman

December 1st, 2011, 5:04 am #3

Religion does not enjoy. It judges. It's benefits are to those who benefit, but sucks from them who are less fortunate.

Religion has stolen democracy, and the basic freedom of all simple people for God's wealth. Which is also a sham.

The wealth of religion, churches and ministers, invested in stealing everything available without being caught. Raping and pillage in a hidden form portraying love and forgiveness.

If there were a God I would hope he could get mesothelomia and spend a eterinty in pain and death.

Tim
Tim

December 1st, 2011, 5:47 am #4

Iceman you need to stop thinking like that, like you posted.
But thanks for being honest.

Your view is of churches, not the Bible.

If I didn't understand the error of the churches and dogma, I would love to burn them all down. But lucky for them, I studied the Bible for myself. And I understand their confusion and greed and historic brutality. And its all Babylonian based.

If I had been in Vietnam with you, you would have wanted to be my friend, and I would have been a friend to you. But I was born in 1962.

The Bible explains the Babylonians Iceman, and how their religious beliefs got here today.

Bro Tim

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

December 1st, 2011, 11:05 am #5

That depends on which bible you read/ get lectured from.
As always, its dont question lack of evidence, just listen and absorb - or our god will be angry!

December 1st, 2011, 1:27 pm #6

Is there any benefit to belief. None that he could think of!~

These guys don't think too deeply because EVERYTHING we enjoy in life is predicated in our belief about what we are enjoying.

You enjoy a wonderful moment in nature? Well, someone nearby, in a grouchy mood will NOT see or comprehend YOUR "reality."

You enjoy a wonderful relationship with a significant other? That's predicated in your belief that your partner is of the same opinion and not cheating on you, LOL. You find out that you've been mistaken and your partner is secretly having an affair with someone else and then see just how much of the same experience is enjoyed as before -as being fact-based.

Everything meaningful to us is rooted in our imagination and belief about what is happening.

So if a person has a deep religious belief about God and it's helpful and liberating to that person ... then it's a beneficial thing for that person.

Where religion is detrimental is where the believer feels limited and shackled by his own belief.

-Vince
Vince said: So if a person has a deep religious belief about God and it's helpful and liberating to that person ... then it's a beneficial thing for that person.

Yes, and if a person has a deep belief about an invisible friend named George, and it's helpful and liberating to that person... they lock him up in an insane asylum.

Invisible friend named George = CRAZY
Invisible friend named God = SANE

Funny how that works...

"Not one man in a thousand has the strength of mind or the goodness of heart to be an atheist." -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Last edited by edstrange13 on December 1st, 2011, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Tim

December 1st, 2011, 10:53 pm #7

That depends on which bible you read/ get lectured from.
As always, its dont question lack of evidence, just listen and absorb - or our god will be angry!
-------------------------

Your just plain stubborn, Seoc.
Ya I can see that

The Bible has more visionary evidence in it then you realize, things men couldn't have known.

Tim
Tim

December 1st, 2011, 10:57 pm #8

Vince said: So if a person has a deep religious belief about God and it's helpful and liberating to that person ... then it's a beneficial thing for that person.

Yes, and if a person has a deep belief about an invisible friend named George, and it's helpful and liberating to that person... they lock him up in an insane asylum.

Funny how that works...

------------------------------------

So you don't believe in ghosts ether do you Doc?

December 2nd, 2011, 12:10 am #9

do you see the electricity going into your TV.......better check that system

do you see the LOVE you feel for your spouse or "signifigant other"??

how does it look???

do you see your BREATH (not on a cold day but every other time lol)??? Better get that checked out too lol

do you see how your hair grows, your children grow inches taller every day, your nails grow, teeth grow? can you really see that?

do you see how a seed (of anything) becomes what it becomes (tree, person, whatever)

do you see the PHYSICS OF THE UNIVERSE?? I mean, Mondo was just reporting on the "SEEMING" nothingness that is impossible........what about that science?/

do you see how rain goes back up to become clouds? what makes lightening strike where it does?

I could name more things YOU CANT see about life than things you can see

even the whole concept of "concepts, thoughts", can you see them?? only in letter form, in written form and speech

why aren't these very same FORMS expressed about God as valid as any other?
every day is a new day to die to the old and live to the newness of life

Tim
Tim

December 2nd, 2011, 1:50 am #10

Excellent response Yvonne.
I didn't think of that.
I do believe in ghosts, but I wonder if Doc does?
Do you believe in ghosts Yvonne?

Ghosts Angles, God the Holy Ghost.