8-tracks, Reel-to-Reel and... Quadraphonic Sound...?

8-tracks, Reel-to-Reel and... Quadraphonic Sound...?

March 27th, 2012, 12:33 pm #1

Aaaahhh Yeessss...
The "good ole" days...!

So...
Do any of you remember...
Your Very First...
-- Home Computer...?

Mine was the Bally Astrocade...
-- 4K RAM...!
That phase didn't last very long.
We moved UP to the Apple IIe...
With a Whompin' RAM of 64K...!

Oh yeah...
State of the Art Technology...!
And...
We were Living on the Edge...!

-PRev1-

President Barrack Hussein Obama

-- Nobel Peace Prize, 2009 --
"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
-- George Orwell, "1984" --

"If you suddenly think Stephen Colbert is truly right wing, that's when I would worry."
-- Neuropsychologist Katherine Rankin.

March 27th, 2012, 2:07 pm #2

My first computer was an IBM-XT Clone with a 20 Meg hard Drive and no mouse.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

<p align="left">

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone"
Thanks Kristy

March 27th, 2012, 3:55 pm #3

Aaaahhh Yeessss...
The "good ole" days...!

So...
Your Very First...
-- Home Computer...?

-- 4K RAM...!

Oh yeah...
And...

-PRev1-

"If you suddenly think Stephen Colbert is truly right wing, that's when I would worry."
Yes, I was late to the game.

I remember my brother had a Commodore 64. It was so complicated. Some kind of tape drive to read the games into memory. Fort Apocalypse .. remember playing that. And some Decathlon game.

March 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm #4

Do you remember Leisure Suit Larry and the Lounge Lizards?

Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places - it was a great game.

<p align="left">

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone"
Thanks Kristy

March 27th, 2012, 4:30 pm #5

Oh yeah. How could I forget? Maybe the first game on a computer than I ever played. That and one on one, Larry Bird and Julius Erving.

March 27th, 2012, 5:23 pm #6

Yes, I was late to the game.

I remember my brother had a Commodore 64. It was so complicated. Some kind of tape drive to read the games into memory. Fort Apocalypse .. remember playing that. And some Decathlon game.

Got it in 1978, it was serial #8192 (easy to remember for a lifetime for us techno-geeks.)

Had the tape-loader, 8K of memory, and displayed on a little tv.

Those were the cool days... For us luddite dinosaurs, anyway.

March 27th, 2012, 6:21 pm #7

Do you remember Leisure Suit Larry and the Lounge Lizards?

Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places - it was a great game.

<p align="left">

Thanks Kristy
Leisure Suit Larry...
From Ken and Roberta Williams...
And, the other good people at...
-- Sierra Entertainment.

Yes, Larry was fun...
But...
My personal favorite was...
-- The King's Quest Series.
Had me hooked from the get-go.

-PRev1-

March 27th, 2012, 6:29 pm #8

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

<p align="left">

Thanks Kristy
THAT would have been Pure Decadence...!

Heck...
I thought we were stepping over the edge...
When we got our Techno-Geek buddy...
To build us a 128K card.

With THAT Much Memory to play with...?
It just seemed like...
-- "cheating".
There'd be No "Spaghetti" Code...
Coming From THIS Boy...!

-PRev1-

March 27th, 2012, 11:43 pm #9

Aaaahhh Yeessss...
The "good ole" days...!

So...
Your Very First...
-- Home Computer...?

-- 4K RAM...!

Oh yeah...
And...

-PRev1-

... moving too fast. It's just insane. The problem is that problems aren't sorted out before the next set of problems get developed. There's hardly a state of enjoyment to be had because by the time things are sorted out and it all "works" .... you're running on an "antiquated" system.

I think of my brother's first computer .... which ALWAYS worked like a piece of excrement for him. It was state of the art at the time ... but "too advanced" for the available programs of that time. Yeah sure. 98 worked crappy for him and he moved up to ME ... which he thought, worked so much BETTER.

When he finally dumped it, I took it home and installed XP ... which worked FLAWLESSLY. Just a rock-solid machine running XP ... but much too slow now to keep up with internet "advancement".

And now I built me a new computer so that I can work with the pictures of my new camera without needing to have a coffee in between renderings.

I got W7 on it and it should be super-fast for everything ... but is it? Nope. Some things take longer to fire up than they did on my old 2001 1 ghz machine running XP.

Is W7 a superior system to XP. No, it's a lot worse, actually. They introduced a lot of bugs and wrinkles and dumbed it down so severely that many things (like search) are virtually useless in W7.

But ...

It CAN utilize memory over 4 gb ... and it CAN play the videos from my camera without needing to convert to another format.

So I paid a big price for getting very little more and/+ getting a lot of new irritating problems. That's "progress"!~

-Vince

March 27th, 2012, 11:49 pm #10

<p align="left">

Thanks Kristy
It still runs ... and you still know how to run it!

Gad ... that looks so Star-treckish. Reminds me of the old shows where computers were revered and technicians walked around in white lab-coats doing their "doctor" stuff to make those kind of results spit out.

I bet it cost you a pretty penny too?

-Vince