WHL announces lengths of suspensions

WHL announces lengths of suspensions

November 30th, 2011, 1:11 am #1

http://www.whl.ca/page/WHL-discipline

11/28/11
Kale Kessy Medicine Hat Four games for checking to the head major and g.m. at Red Deer on November 26

11/28/11
Cason Machacek Seattle Three games for checking to the head major and g.m. at Kamloops on November 26

11/26/11
Turner Elson Red Deer Six games under supplemental discipline versus Lethbridge on November 25
The player followed the opponent for a considerable distance with significant speed.
He hit the opponent, who was in a vulnerable position, resulting in an injury to the opponent.

November 30th, 2011, 1:13 am #2

What exactly does that entail?

November 30th, 2011, 1:23 am #3

11/28/11
Kale Kessy Medicine Hat Four games for checking to the head major and g.m. at Red Deer on November 26

11/28/11
Cason Machacek Seattle Three games for checking to the head major and g.m. at Kamloops on November 26

11/26/11
Turner Elson Red Deer Six games under supplemental discipline versus Lethbridge on November 25
The player followed the opponent for a considerable distance with significant speed.
He hit the opponent, who was in a vulnerable position, resulting in an injury to the opponent.
whl.ca is no longer my homepage because I find all the ads on that site at times brings my browser to a screeching halt.

It certainly is a tough time to be a physical player. Kessy has been compared to lucic, personally I find their style of play similar although in the talent department they are completely different. I have to wonder how Lucic would have developed under these types of rules.

-----------

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"

November 30th, 2011, 1:30 am #4

And God knows no one can understand how the hell this league doles out discipline, "supplemental discipline" is a punishment, usually for repeat offenders...

Players who have been disciplined in the past for certain penalties and situations can be supended based on past actions as well as the incident that spawns the disciplinary review... does that make sense?

For example, a player recieves a checking-from-behind major; the league reviews it, decides that the check itself is not suspendable; however, this is the fourth CFB that the player has recieved this season, so they pop him under "supplemental discipline". Also, there is a limit to how many game misconducts a player can recieve without suspension; I think this qualifies under "supplemental discipline" as well.

Again, I dont know this for fact, this is just based on what I've seen/read, and past experience.

November 30th, 2011, 1:58 am #5

11/28/11

11/28/11

11/26/11
I lose respect for explanations that include statements like "

The player Elson hit, Erkamps, was injured so badly that he jumped up and INSTIGATED a fight he lost, got taken down, and got injured?? Six games ... ridiculous.

November 30th, 2011, 2:19 am #6

And God knows no one can understand how the hell this league doles out discipline, "supplemental discipline" is a punishment, usually for repeat offenders...

Players who have been disciplined in the past for certain penalties and situations can be supended based on past actions as well as the incident that spawns the disciplinary review... does that make sense?

For example, a player recieves a checking-from-behind major; the league reviews it, decides that the check itself is not suspendable; however, this is the fourth CFB that the player has recieved this season, so they pop him under "supplemental discipline". Also, there is a limit to how many game misconducts a player can recieve without suspension; I think this qualifies under "supplemental discipline" as well.

Again, I dont know this for fact, this is just based on what I've seen/read, and past experience.
That does make sense if its indeed the rule. Ill take your word for it, thanks!

November 30th, 2011, 2:20 am #7

I lose respect for explanations that include statements like "

The player Elson hit, Erkamps, was injured so badly that he jumped up and INSTIGATED a fight he lost, got taken down, and got injured?? Six games ... ridiculous.
WTF does that even mean? I thought that was called back checking. Some of the reasoning behind these suspensions just boggles the mind.

Hockey is so awesome right now.

November 30th, 2011, 2:21 am #8

Pushups. nm

November 30th, 2011, 2:32 am #9

WTF does that even mean? I thought that was called back checking. Some of the reasoning behind these suspensions just boggles the mind.

But really, should we expect anything else?

After screwing with the rules so much there is such a big grey zone that even the players don't know what constitutes a penalty.

I miss the good old days.

November 30th, 2011, 2:35 am #10

-----------

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"