Should Hockey Adopt the Rooney Rule?

Should Hockey Adopt the Rooney Rule?

May 25th, 2012, 9:46 am #1

In 2003 the NFL created the Rooney Rule that required the NFL teams to interview qualified minority applicants for head coaching positions. If the NHL and the sport of hockey wants to grow and reach out to other groups of people should they consider their own rule of requiring qualified minorities a chance of interviewing for open coaching positions? I think it is sad that every head coach I have seen in many levels of hockey all have been white. Is there not even one person of any color or ethnicity other than white that is qualified to mind a hockey bench?

May 25th, 2012, 3:09 pm #2

Ted Nolan coached in the NHL and the OHL and he's not white (he's native). There are probably a few others as well, but it does only strengthen your point when people can actually name all the non-white coaches since it proves there's so few of them.

May 25th, 2012, 4:00 pm #3

In 2003 the NFL created the Rooney Rule that required the NFL teams to interview qualified minority applicants for head coaching positions. If the NHL and the sport of hockey wants to grow and reach out to other groups of people should they consider their own rule of requiring qualified minorities a chance of interviewing for open coaching positions? I think it is sad that every head coach I have seen in many levels of hockey all have been white. Is there not even one person of any color or ethnicity other than white that is qualified to mind a hockey bench?
If a coach is good enough and wins at the lower levels of hockey he could be black, white, purple or green and he would get a job. It's not the NHL, or any other league's fault that there are less minority coaches, it is something called demographics. You cannot compare hockey to football, basketball or other sports where the majority of the players actually come from minority communities. It just isn't that way in hockey, however, that is changing fast. You see more and more of them playing hockey making it to the pro ranks, and becoming stars. As everything, it takes time, you will see a black or east indian or asian head coach in time. And that is a good thing, but only if they are hired because they can coach, handle players right and win. Why in the hell would we implement a rule like that in hockey? It's ridiculous to even consider. Let's force some teams to hire unqualified coaches to fill a quota and make some liberals happy. Give me a break. If they're good, they'll get hired. It's not government, it's pro hockey.

May 25th, 2012, 7:22 pm #4

whats sad is that a rule like that exists already.

the reverse racism attitude is a main part of whats wrong with the world today. These dill holes already have enough help as it is.

May 25th, 2012, 8:54 pm #5

nm

May 26th, 2012, 1:07 am #6

How many minorities are involved in hockey anyway? I can't speak for the demographics in the U.S., but in Canada, outside of a handful of small pockets in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver where East Asians, Arabs, and Africans usually emigrate to, hockey is pretty much exclusively the domain of white Anglophones and Francophones. First Nations, Metis, and Inuit are other groups that have even less representation.

Given the fact that few minorities actually play hockey in Canada, you don't need to be a genius to see why there aren't many minorities involved in high level coaching. You can't expect an apple tree to give you fruit if you planted the seeds yesterday. The fact is that minorities historically haven't been interested in playing hockey in Canada as most parents had their kids playing the sports of the country they came from. This is why there aren't qualified minority coaches in the NHL. They simply don't exist.

Aside from Ted Nolan, who would you say deserves to be there? You probably can't even name one (and whether or not Ted Nolan deserves to be a coach in the NHL is debatable).

Like I said, this idea is moronic. If a coach knows the game and is good with players he'll be there. His skin colour won't matter.

Stupid idea.

May 26th, 2012, 6:49 am #7

There is no need for affirmative action here. It's not like the NFL, MLB or the NBA where most of the players are visible minorities and most of the coaches are white.

However hockey is right now the biggest rich kid sport in canada. It's one of the main reasons why hockey is slowly dying, because kids can't afford to play it. If you can afford to give your kid the opportunities to make the NHL you probably are in the high middle class or upper class earning brackets. Hell even sports like golf or even skiing (provided you live near a hill) are cheaper than hockey. Most of the better golf courses offer junior memberships for way under $400. With hockey that doesn't even scratch the surface.

This isn't a call for affirmative action, it's more an observation why canada has fallen off it's pedestal in the hockey world as of late. More and more it's not the game we all played as kids, it's more the game that you watch on TSN.

-----------

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"

May 26th, 2012, 2:06 pm #8

Let's pass a rule that says hockey have to hire coaches who have no money to make it fair! That would make it right wouldn't it? We'll call it playing the "poor card".

May 26th, 2012, 3:33 pm #9

I never said that hiring practices in regards to coaches is necessarily unfair. I said the reason minorities don't play hockey right now is the same reason most white kids aren't playing hockey, because they can't afford to?

If you really are this all knowing super scout you'd know that enrollment into minor hockey is at all time lows. Have you not noticed that most of the parents dropping their kids off for hockey practice roll up in escaldes, tahoes and 1 ton duellies?

I don't have kids and all my friends work for a living. The ones who do have kids put them in golf in the summer and skiing in the winter. Combined that costs a fraction of what it costs to put a kid on a rep team.

If a person cared about both the number of kids in minor hockey and making hockey more representative of what Canadians look like we'd figure out a way so average people can put their kids into hockey. Which would be better than treating them for diabetes at 11 ot sending them to juevie.

-----------

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"
Last edited by Kenric on May 26th, 2012, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 11:12 pm #10

Let's pass a rule that says hockey have to hire coaches who have no money to make it fair! That would make it right wouldn't it? We'll call it playing the "poor card".
Poor and visible minority in Vancouver (white guy). Too bad I wasn't gay, it'd be a slam dunk for a career in coaching, or the post office...