Ryan Gropp-Seattle or College?

Ryan Gropp-Seattle or College?

July 8th, 2012, 3:07 pm #1

Any Kamloops residents hearing on what Ryan Gropp will do ? Will he sign with Seattle or go the college route?

July 8th, 2012, 7:28 pm #2

College for some time now.............

July 9th, 2012, 1:22 am #3

Any Kamloops residents hearing on what Ryan Gropp will do ? Will he sign with Seattle or go the college route?
Have Been told by "Grandpa", Colorado college, family apparantly told Blazers' not to bother drafting him.......for what it's worth...

July 9th, 2012, 1:25 am #4

Why would anyone want to sign with seattle with Russ Farwell in charge ?

July 9th, 2012, 6:38 am #5

Why wouldn't someone want to sign with Farwell in charge? NM

July 9th, 2012, 7:34 am #6

We don't know. Russ Farwell runs a closed-door operation that can be referred to as questionable at best. As T-Birds fans we all have a moment that we go back to, whether it be the failure to trade Thomas Hickey, the failure to trade Calvin Pickard, or the decision to hang on to a hot-seat coach (Rob Sumner) for two seasons too many. The result is 'losing culture', a cloud that seems to follow the organization, and spreads to the players.. We see players come in and out of the organization year after year, many of them start hot but show signs of disinterest by season's end.. Now suddenly our draft picks won't sign and we get the vibe that playing for Russ is often not the most desirable option for top prospects who are weighing their options.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors or why draft picks aren't signing.. But if it's anything like the rest of the show, it adds to the list of things that aren't getting done with Russ at the wheel.

July 9th, 2012, 3:41 pm #7

Why would anyone want to sign with seattle with Russ Farwell in charge ?
Most players would give their left nut to play for any team in the WHL. Why? Because it's an opportunity to play in the best Junior league in the world. There are hundreds of players each year that work their bags off just to be told they aren't good enough to make it into the WHL.

I don't know Gropp and I haven't talked to his grandpa or his aunt's hair stylist but if the kid doesn't want to play in the WHL - that's his option and the WHL (and Seattle) will survive without him. There have been many players that have decided (for one reason or another) not to play in our league. There have been players that want to dictate where they play in the league. As far as I'm concerned, if they don't want to play for Seattle or Prince George or Swift Current then we don't want them in our league. We will continue to develop players for the next level and be the best league around without them.

July 9th, 2012, 3:42 pm #8

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=19524.

His father was a big, strong winger who could skate, shoot and work hard but had ZERO sandpaper to his game. Dad is a Colorado alum and I would imagine Ryan will be as well.

July 9th, 2012, 6:47 pm #9

Most players would give their left nut to play for any team in the WHL. Why? Because it's an opportunity to play in the best Junior league in the world. There are hundreds of players each year that work their bags off just to be told they aren't good enough to make it into the WHL.

I don't know Gropp and I haven't talked to his grandpa or his aunt's hair stylist but if the kid doesn't want to play in the WHL - that's his option and the WHL (and Seattle) will survive without him. There have been many players that have decided (for one reason or another) not to play in our league. There have been players that want to dictate where they play in the league. As far as I'm concerned, if they don't want to play for Seattle or Prince George or Swift Current then we don't want them in our league. We will continue to develop players for the next level and be the best league around without them.
He most likely will take the college route. For whatever reasons, its his choice at this point and time. It can always change (exemple Connor Honey). If he gets drafted and the team drafting him signs him, I am sure the T-birds will welcome him in the fold.

And as a t-bird fan, if he goes to college because he feels it is a better choice for him, great. What would really disapoint me is if he is not signing in Seattle because of superficial reasons (team not winning, coach, GM etc.)
To me, if a kid would come to a team in a slump (Seattle, PG, EVT etc) and work towards making the team better; it would show more character than holding out or heading to college where you know you can showcase yourself easier (or wait until you get traded to a team in a winning cycle).

July 9th, 2012, 8:00 pm #10

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=19524.

His father was a big, strong winger who could skate, shoot and work hard but had ZERO sandpaper to his game. Dad is a Colorado alum and I would imagine Ryan will be as well.
It looks like those 4 years at Colorado College got dad a 1 year German league career.