Raiders 5 - Hurricanes 2. Recap

Raiders 5 - Hurricanes 2. Recap

November 5th, 2011, 5:18 am #1

Hurricanes started out about as worse as you can. They take a penalty 30 seconds in and give up a powerplay goal promptly after. However they would even it up a 1's as Yakubowsky bats home a rebound out of mid air. But the Raiders were still fired up. Knutsen shoots home a rebound as the Hurricanes goalie was sprawled out on the ice. Ruopp would make it 3-1 with a bit of a lucky one. He shoots it wide on purpose but the puck goes off of Braes and in. The Raiders werent done there, a nice tic tac toe play results in Herrod getting his 7th to end the period at 4-1 for the Raiders.

The Hurricanes would get the lone tally in the 2nd as a sharp angle shots bounces off of Williams who's hugging his post. He has no idea where it is and Ramsay bangs it into the open net.

The Raiders finish off the scoring as Maylan snipes a perfectly placed shot over the right pad of Kovacs to round this one out at 5-2 PA.

*** 3 Stars ***
1 - Justin Maylan
2 - Eric Williams
3 - Kellan Tochkin

HM's to Pilon... This kid is going to be a stud in the WHL! Kovacs played great in net for Lethbridge(allowing 1 goal on 32 shots)

November 5th, 2011, 5:46 pm #2

I can see another 10-15 game losing streak coming in Lethbridge

November 5th, 2011, 5:58 pm #3

PLEASE tell me he is the usual starter.. If not than Lethbridge is in deep trouble. Im sorry but that other kid could not control ANY pucks coming at him. Regardless of speed.

November 5th, 2011, 6:39 pm #4

Kovacs is not the usual starter in Lethridge ... "that other kid" is and when Damien Ketlo is healthy he'll probably start his fair share of games.

Kovacs hasn't been able to stop a beach ball so far this year in the WHL so its nice to see him have a game like that last night. Kovacs came in with alot of expectations and I dont think he's lived up to them this year but he's only 17 and I think he'll be a pretty good goalie in this league.

"that other kid" or Liam Liston as he usually goes by was starting his 7th straight game since coming over from Brandon in a trade. In the previous 6 starts he faced on average just under 40 shots a game with a save % of 0.889. Liston has definetly not been the problem for the Hurricanes ... he's actually been fairly solid and kept them in a few games. Very few goals he let in were of the 'soft' variety so Ill give him a pass if he had a bad period last night. Kovacs needed to have that game or when Ketlo came back he'd find himself in Junior A.

Nice to hear that Ryan Pilon had a good game, scary to think he just turned 15 a few weeks ago and already stands 6'2" and close to 200 pounds. I haven't seen him play yet but by all accounts he was the Canes best d-man in camp.

November 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm #5

Looked huge out there. Skates very well for his large size and played with confidence. Smart decision making and was able to keep a few pucks in that puzzled even me. i remember one part, Herrod takes a slap shot to clear the zone. Pilon jumps in the air while moving forward(to get a step on his man) catches the puck, goes around his man and gets a good shot on goal. THIS is a franchise player for the Hurricanes, now its up to the coaches to build the future around him. It would be a shame to see his talent go to waste.