OHL Tom Khunackl gets 20 games for this

OHL Tom Khunackl gets 20 games for this

November 8th, 2011, 7:05 pm #1

November 8th, 2011, 7:40 pm #2

It appears he was just trying to get around an interferring player. But I don't know this player's history or the severity of the injury and those are both calculated into the punishment. Doesn't the OHL do video explanations of their suspensions now? I would be curioius to see how they got to 20 games.

November 8th, 2011, 8:07 pm #3

It was blatant, brutal, a complete head shot and a deliberate attempt to injure. I am not sure 20 games is enough. It is because of stupid hits like this that what used to be good hits are now called penalties. I am amazed the kid did not break his neck or something.
As far as "It appears he was just trying to get around an interferring player.", you need to watch it again. What player? Where?

November 8th, 2011, 8:08 pm #4

It appears he was just trying to get around an interferring player. But I don't know this player's history or the severity of the injury and those are both calculated into the punishment. Doesn't the OHL do video explanations of their suspensions now? I would be curioius to see how they got to 20 games.
Murphy has his head down with the puck in his feet and gets decked and they come up with twenty games?! I'm so sick of this 'vulnerable position' crap, when did it stop being your responsibility for protecting yourself?

This sport is beyond ******

November 8th, 2011, 8:14 pm #5

It was blatant, brutal, a complete head shot and a deliberate attempt to injure. I am not sure 20 games is enough. It is because of stupid hits like this that what used to be good hits are now called penalties. I am amazed the kid did not break his neck or something.
As far as "It appears he was just trying to get around an interferring player.", you need to watch it again. What player? Where?
He launches himself off his feet into the head leading with his elbow. If he skates into him he probably still gets a charging or something, but to me this is the definition if "intent to injure".

November 8th, 2011, 8:20 pm #6

Murphy was at fault for this by attempting to play the puck while skating behind the net with his head down. If he had the forsight to look if anyone was forechecking and would have shot the puck around the boards towards the wing he could have avoided getting rocked (you know, what defencemen used to do).

Obviously there was some contact with the head, but what do you expect to happen when a midget like him cuts behind the net on an angle with his head down? Contact with the head is inevitable.

The fact that people even think this is a suspendable hit shows how much TSN kool-aid you're all drinking.

November 8th, 2011, 8:24 pm #7

He launches himself off his feet into the head leading with his elbow. If he skates into him he probably still gets a charging or something, but to me this is the definition if "intent to injure".
Him leaving his feet was the result of contact.

November 8th, 2011, 8:35 pm #8

Murphy has his head down with the puck in his feet and gets decked and they come up with twenty games?! I'm so sick of this 'vulnerable position' crap, when did it stop being your responsibility for protecting yourself?

This sport is beyond ******
I will say that this hit definitely does deserve a suspension by todays garbage "standards". Kid left his feet on impact and the head was the first point of contact but.....

What the **** do you expect when a dman comes around the net with the puck while looking backwards?!?!?!

His hands were at his sides at the point of impact. Not an elbow to me. Hands follow through after contact. It's called momentum. The d is crouched with his head down and back.

I would have thrown the same hit. Every time.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me and that's fine. We all have our opinions.

So sick of guys playing at this level and forgetting the Golden Rule of hockey. Keep your head up. Especially when coming out from behind your own net. Especially when no one is allowed to hold up forecheckers who are coming like human RPGs. Forecheckers who dream of seeing a player with his head down like that.

Remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRheKlGbq0

The hit that made Wendel Clark? Head down, served up on a platter and he gets rocked. Clark leaves his feet on impact. Almost the same hit.The Legend of Wendel is born.

20 games for teaching a kid a lesson he will never forget.

Hockey really sucks right now. I do hope that Murphy is OK though.

November 8th, 2011, 8:35 pm #9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsv2k8aAEk

Refs called it clean, opposing announcers down there that night in link above called it clean, 95% of fans on here and every other hockey forum and blog all called it clean. There wasn't even a penalty call by a ref staring right at it let alone anyone on the ice. No suspension, nothing from the league.
But here we have about the same hit 4 years later and people want a murder trial to begin.

November 8th, 2011, 8:40 pm #10

Left his skate, opposing player in a vulnerable postion near the boards, elbow up