Not Directly WHL: City of Seattle & Hansen have reachd agreement on new Arena deal

Not Directly WHL: City of Seattle & Hansen have reachd agreement on new Arena deal

September 11th, 2012, 4:54 pm #1

NHL/NBA arena deal reached with City of Seattle. Official vote is Monday, but since the council is holding a press conference right now saying the deal is done, that is just a technicality.

I assume, if he hasn't already, he will now start looking for teams willing to move.

September 11th, 2012, 6:28 pm #2

Is it just me, or is it a massive gamble to commit to spending almost half a billion dollars to build an arena without any guarantee of a major tenant?

It's easy to say the NHL and NBA would want a team in Seattle but the fact is, there are many options for teams to move to and very few teams available. I bet Gary Bettman and David Stern are already rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of how they'll be able to bend Chris Hansen over for some outrageous amount in order to get him a team(s) to fill his empty arena.

September 11th, 2012, 6:45 pm #3

As I understand it, until their is a team in place, no shovel hits the ground, no city/county involvement. That's part of the agreement. They have to have a concrete commitment of an actual tenant, signed sealed and delivered...meaning a 30 year lease agreement (with no buyout or relocation allowed). I'm not sure it has changed. The local governments were requiring a commitment from both the NBA and NHL or they wouldn't be involved. The private money behind the arena (Chris Hansen's group), said they could make it work with just the NBA team to start.

September 11th, 2012, 6:49 pm #4

The plan is to use KeyArena temporarily while the new arena is being constructed, so they could get a team and move it to Seattle while the arena is being built. Hansen's group is willing to put spend $ to temporarily upgrade KeyArena.

September 11th, 2012, 6:50 pm #5

Is it just me, or is it a massive gamble to commit to spending almost half a billion dollars to build an arena without any guarantee of a major tenant?

It's easy to say the NHL and NBA would want a team in Seattle but the fact is, there are many options for teams to move to and very few teams available. I bet Gary Bettman and David Stern are already rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of how they'll be able to bend Chris Hansen over for some outrageous amount in order to get him a team(s) to fill his empty arena.
For what that word is worth anyway, is that Hansen has been in private talks with both leagues and gotten assurance from at least the NBA that they are committed to getting back into the Seattle market. Money is the bottom line (we saw that with the Sonics departure) so now that there is a greener pasture, suitors will likely come knocking. I can't imagine he would take this risk without some assurance seeing how he is a smart businessman. Either way the guy is my hero. The amount of BS he had to put up with (not to mention a huge chunk of his own cash) from some people in Seattle who just want their palms greased or to throw sand in the gears of everything is riduculous. Lesser people would have walked away from trying to offer someone a very low risk way of giving them a $300 million building/property.

We are one step closer to our Sonics coming home.

That being said it appears Seattle is one step closer today to the NHL as well. I am still worried the arrival of an NHL team will be detrimental to junior hockey in western Washington. Everett and Seattle both have a fair amount of time left on their leases (someone correct me if I am wrong about that). Everett's attendance has slippled since their first few seasons but I think that is expected and struggling teams haven't helped. I suspect the Tips' faithfull will be out in full force with their cow bells once the team takes a step up in the standings. Seattle has drawn relatively well (particularly in the second half of the season) despite icing terrible teams. $2 for Tuesdays and much better marketing/promos has helped. I suspect Seattle will eventually draw crowds to their potential at the Show if there is something to cheer for. Doubt that will happen this year. The Showare has been losing money but from what I have read that is due mostly to the inabilility to rent the facility outside of Thunderbird games. In short, I think both teams are on pretty firm footing but can they withstand the lure of a new NHL team? I personally would like to find out. Farwell went on the record saying he thinks they won't compete for fans with an NHL team. That I don't agree with and what else is he going to say?

September 11th, 2012, 6:56 pm #6

September 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm #7

Especially that Quebec started to work on their own arena recently. Bettman has two cities now with goverment backed arenas.
let the bidding war begin....

September 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm #8

For what that word is worth anyway, is that Hansen has been in private talks with both leagues and gotten assurance from at least the NBA that they are committed to getting back into the Seattle market. Money is the bottom line (we saw that with the Sonics departure) so now that there is a greener pasture, suitors will likely come knocking. I can't imagine he would take this risk without some assurance seeing how he is a smart businessman. Either way the guy is my hero. The amount of BS he had to put up with (not to mention a huge chunk of his own cash) from some people in Seattle who just want their palms greased or to throw sand in the gears of everything is riduculous. Lesser people would have walked away from trying to offer someone a very low risk way of giving them a $300 million building/property.

We are one step closer to our Sonics coming home.

That being said it appears Seattle is one step closer today to the NHL as well. I am still worried the arrival of an NHL team will be detrimental to junior hockey in western Washington. Everett and Seattle both have a fair amount of time left on their leases (someone correct me if I am wrong about that). Everett's attendance has slippled since their first few seasons but I think that is expected and struggling teams haven't helped. I suspect the Tips' faithfull will be out in full force with their cow bells once the team takes a step up in the standings. Seattle has drawn relatively well (particularly in the second half of the season) despite icing terrible teams. $2 for Tuesdays and much better marketing/promos has helped. I suspect Seattle will eventually draw crowds to their potential at the Show if there is something to cheer for. Doubt that will happen this year. The Showare has been losing money but from what I have read that is due mostly to the inabilility to rent the facility outside of Thunderbird games. In short, I think both teams are on pretty firm footing but can they withstand the lure of a new NHL team? I personally would like to find out. Farwell went on the record saying he thinks they won't compete for fans with an NHL team. That I don't agree with and what else is he going to say?

I obviously don't live in Seattle so I can't speak to what its like, but it seems to me that having an NHL team in the city would have the effect of creating more hockey fans. Even if they're bandwagon casual fans at first who are only interested because it's major league sport, SOME of those fans have to become serious hockey fans after they get a taste, don't they? And not everyone can afford to go to a lot of NHL games so some of those fans would likely seek out other, cheaper, options for a hockey fix in the area....and discover the Thunderbirds and Silvertips in the process.

September 11th, 2012, 7:26 pm #9

I would hate to have to choose. I would choose junior hockey but I would like to choose both and hopefully Seattle would too. There just isn't much to compare the possibiliy of NHL too. It has been so long since Seattle had a professional hockey team and junior really doesn't compare. The city embraced the Sounders and instantly turned it into a marquee MLS franchise. I am confident NHL will work here along with the NBA. One thing that makes me wonder is the fact that the Mariners have publicly criticized the arena proposal. They claim they want the Sonics to return and the location is the issue but their seasons barely overlap. I think it has more to do with the competition for the sports dollar. If there is a crunch for the sports dollar with 4 major teams I worry junior hockey will be on the oustside looking. Thanks for trying to talk me off of the ledge though. I need it!

September 11th, 2012, 8:28 pm #10

I obviously don't live in Seattle so I can't speak to what its like, but it seems to me that having an NHL team in the city would have the effect of creating more hockey fans. Even if they're bandwagon casual fans at first who are only interested because it's major league sport, SOME of those fans have to become serious hockey fans after they get a taste, don't they? And not everyone can afford to go to a lot of NHL games so some of those fans would likely seek out other, cheaper, options for a hockey fix in the area....and discover the Thunderbirds and Silvertips in the process.
Both are good minor league baseball franchises that exist within a MLB circumference.