Miles Koules coming to the Tigers...

Miles Koules coming to the Tigers...

April 30th, 2012, 4:24 pm #1

he chose the Tigers over the University of North Dakota. Thats good news for the Tigers as he is a super-skilled forward to play with Shinkaruk.

April 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm #2

Koules' rights were traded from Everett to Medicine Hat in January. You'd think it'd be easier for a US based team with a good fan base and a great arena to lure American born players to their team. Not the case with Everett, though.

April 30th, 2012, 5:09 pm #3

not sure if that had any bearing on his decision...

April 30th, 2012, 7:02 pm #4

he already had a connection with Etem & Shinkurak.

April 30th, 2012, 7:47 pm #5

Koules' rights were traded from Everett to Medicine Hat in January. You'd think it'd be easier for a US based team with a good fan base and a great arena to lure American born players to their team. Not the case with Everett, though.
Everett also hasn't had a winning season in a while and these players probably want to play for contending teams. These players are coming in their 18 year old season, so they will be in the WHL 1 or 2 years max (I think that is what they are thinking). They players are allowed to tell Everett they won't play for them, but would play for Portland (in the case of Jones) or for Medicine Hat (in the case of Koules). If Everett doesn't trade their rights away then they will go play NCAA hockey. Everett knows they aren't going to play for them, so they might as well try to get something for them. If Portland was the team it was a few years back then Jones probably wouldn't be going there. These players have other options and right now they don't want to be part of a rebuilding team.....the same reason Maxwell wanted to leave in his last season. I hope to see Jones play for Portland just see we can watch him play. If he does end up in Portland (which I believe he will) I am curious what Everett will get in return.
This is just my opinion.

April 30th, 2012, 8:18 pm #6

he chose the Tigers over the University of North Dakota. Thats good news for the Tigers as he is a super-skilled forward to play with Shinkaruk.
another ankle biting punk to add to the pile.

There are so many of these kids lately who will only consider playing for a team he likes or his rich parents approve of. It should be a priviledge just to play in the league at all...

This league is turning into the cake eating OHL.

April 30th, 2012, 9:05 pm #7

I do understand your sentiments and where you're coming from but I have to disagree that players should consider it "a privilege just to play in the league at all".

This is a business and the teams (many of them anyway) are making a lot of money off these kids. Yes, the kids get a monthly stipend and a year of education per year played, so they are being compensated for their services. But in the big picture what the kids are making is small potatoes compared to the money the teams do/can make. The equalizer for some kids (and the dreams of many more of them) is the chance to make serious money as a professional at some point in the future.

So, why shouldn't the kids have some control over those dreams? The reality is that not every WHL team is the same. There are some teams who are consistently putting a winning team on the ice and sending kids to the pro ranks, and then there are others who haven't done squat in 5 or 10 years and have produced far fewer pro prospects. If the kids had no control in these matters, where's the incentive for those teams to ever change things and try to become better organizations? Why not just sit back and count the money?

The well-run teams with good coaches who have on-ice success and produce large numbers of top-notch pro players should get a reward for that, and that reward is that more players will want to play there.

In Koules' and Jones' cases, the fact is that Everett has not had a really good on-ice product the last five years and haven't produced many pros in that time either. It's quite likely as a result that Everett is not perceived as a good destination by players who have multiple options for their development. Portland and Medicine Hat have much better records of late for winning and for turning out professional hockey players - which is no doubt why they are more attractive to these kinds of players. If Everett (and other teams in the same boat) don't like losing out on these players, well - they'll just have to work to turn things around so that in a few years players DO want to go there.

April 30th, 2012, 9:13 pm #8

It shouldn't really be hard to choose between any CHL city and grand forks...the worst city in the United States.

May 1st, 2012, 12:32 am #9

I do understand your sentiments and where you're coming from but I have to disagree that players should consider it "a privilege just to play in the league at all".

This is a business and the teams (many of them anyway) are making a lot of money off these kids. Yes, the kids get a monthly stipend and a year of education per year played, so they are being compensated for their services. But in the big picture what the kids are making is small potatoes compared to the money the teams do/can make. The equalizer for some kids (and the dreams of many more of them) is the chance to make serious money as a professional at some point in the future.

So, why shouldn't the kids have some control over those dreams? The reality is that not every WHL team is the same. There are some teams who are consistently putting a winning team on the ice and sending kids to the pro ranks, and then there are others who haven't done squat in 5 or 10 years and have produced far fewer pro prospects. If the kids had no control in these matters, where's the incentive for those teams to ever change things and try to become better organizations? Why not just sit back and count the money?

The well-run teams with good coaches who have on-ice success and produce large numbers of top-notch pro players should get a reward for that, and that reward is that more players will want to play there.

In Koules' and Jones' cases, the fact is that Everett has not had a really good on-ice product the last five years and haven't produced many pros in that time either. It's quite likely as a result that Everett is not perceived as a good destination by players who have multiple options for their development. Portland and Medicine Hat have much better records of late for winning and for turning out professional hockey players - which is no doubt why they are more attractive to these kinds of players. If Everett (and other teams in the same boat) don't like losing out on these players, well - they'll just have to work to turn things around so that in a few years players DO want to go there.
with the training facilities being what they are in MJ now and the rink they play in. The GM and Coaching they have make them a very attractive place for players to play.

Top notch facilities
Top notch scouting
Top notch training
Top notch coaching/GM

Things in MJ have really turned around. It has taken time but I see this being a very desirable destination for pro prospects.

May 1st, 2012, 12:35 am #10

I believe these to be factors that determine where these top end players choose to play. As of right now I believe we have the same kind of drawing power as the Port Winterhawks, Vancourver Giants, Edmonton Oil Kings and Calgary Hitmen. These are teams that have the luxury of top end facilities to attract prospects and get them to sign with them opposed to other destinations.

Really going to be interesting to see how MJ uses this to attract players. Of course, when they come to camp the overall feel for the rink and facilities and training is going to be through the roof. The ability to target top end coaches/gms is really going to increase that as well. Now that we will actually be able to pay them to come here and work with top end talent.

This should rank us up there for years to come.