It's been eons since I made an actual relevant, hockey post so here it is

It's been eons since I made an actual relevant, hockey post so here it is

July 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm #1

Who's coming and going to and from your team for this upcoming season? What's your teams strengths, and weaknesses and how many wins and points do you expect them to have at the end of the season???

July 27th, 2011, 6:07 pm #2

For the Blades now this is just a guess

Gone are
Schenn
Viedensky
Hamilton
Elliott
Zahn
Stanford

Rookies
Makarov (G)
Daae
Stovin
Pichonski (D)
H Morrison
Statchuk (D)

Strenghts has to be great youth with only 3 19 year olds returning the Blades still have a solid PPL

Weaknesses Goaltending could be a problem Makarov still unproven and Morrison is not consistant enough

Projection for the 11/12 season 38-29-5-81 good for 5th or 6th in the Eastern Conf

July 27th, 2011, 8:13 pm #3

Who's coming and going to and from your team for this upcoming season? What's your teams strengths, and weaknesses and how many wins and points do you expect them to have at the end of the season???
of facing denial.For the ams we have the most powerful offense in the league.probably the best netminder in the league to.our defense is suspect but it will be another 50 win season of over 100 points easy.bob will shore up the blueline and i expect the ams to win the league.

July 27th, 2011, 8:42 pm #4

First, I hope you're right. (That is if you are being serious at all which it doesn't look like)

Best offence in league? Not quite, we have some guys that can score (depending on who Bob keeps as 20 y/o's) but the 3rd and 4th lines will be mostly rookies and role-players. You never know how those guys will develope.

Owsley is a great goalie but who knows if he'll even be on the team.

Defense certainly needs beefing up, but if MacKenzie is back and the euro is solid it may be adequate. A trade for a vet would certainly help though.

I can't see the Ams finishing higher than 2nd in the division this year and maybe more like 3rd or 4th. (I think Portland will get a lot of their guys back, maybe just Nino being gone) I'm glad Spokane is losing TJ and Koper, those guys killed us, but with Nachbaur they'll be really tough too.

On the other hand I can't wait to see our rookies Comrie and Williams, I'm hoping a couple other former LA Selects (Becker and Moore) committ to the AMS too.

July 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm #5

For Seattle this is what you got...

Lost from last year:
Brenden Dillon, Defense, Graduated.
Travis Bobbee, Defense, Graduated.
Travis Toomey, Forward, Graduated.
Eric Bonsor, Defense, College.
Ryan Button, Defense, AHL.

Notes: Losing Bobbee is no big deal. Dillon and Toomey were key players last season in many ways. Both wore letters the entire season and were well deserving. Dillon was playing 25-30 minutes a game and at a very high level. Button can return to Seattle but it is highly unlikely. I have been told that Bonsor has told the team he won't return, not sure if the team has reported anything. Backup goalie Michael Salmon could probably be here too as I would imagine the team doesn't want a 19 year old backup when they know they would be losing both goalies at the end of the season.

Returning from last year:
Calvin Pickard, 19, Goalie.
Michael Salmon, 19, Goalie.
Dave Sutter, 19, Defense.
Erik Fleming, 19, Defense.
Mitch Spooner, 19, Defense.
Austin Frank, 18, Defense.
Mitch Elliot, 18, Forward.
Connor Sanvido, 18, Forward.
Justin Hickman, 17, Forward.
Branden Troock, 17, Forward.
Tyler Alos, 18, Forward.
Marcel Noebels, 19, Forward.
Brendan Rouse, 19, Forward.
Colin Jacobs, 18, Forward.
Luke Lockhart, 19, Forward.
Burke Gallimore, 20, Forward.
Chance Lund, 19, Forward.
Jacob Doty, 18, Forward.

Notes: Return #1, #3 #4 and #5 scorers from last season in Gallimore(70), Noebels(54), Lockhart(48) and Jacobs(44). Defensively they bring back pretty much NOTHING! Sutter got better at the end of the season, but honestly was getting worse from October-Mid February. Branden Troock missed all of last season with concussion problems. Should he play and play at the level he played as a 15, I could see him scoring 40-50 points. I could see Alos, Rouse and Lockhart really benefiting from new head coach Steve Konowalchuk.

Incoming/Could Be Incoming players:
Cason Machacek, 20, Defense, Trade from Leth. for future pick.
Shea Theodore, 16, Defense, 3rd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Jared Hauf, 16, Defense, 1st Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Taylor Green, 16, Defense, 2nd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Evan Wardley, 17, Defense, 6th Round in 2009 Bantam Draft.
Stefan Burzan, 17, Forward, Trade from Sask. for Jeremy Boyer.
James Neil, 16, Forward, 3rd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.

Notes: Machacek will be here no doubt and does fill a void on defense. Shea Theodore will be in Seattle and will play and will play a lot. Theodore played a handful of games last season as a 15 and instantly started QBing the PP and did a fine job. Theodore had almost 1/ppg last year in the BCMML. Hauf is a big kid, needs to improve his skating and footwork, but he reminds me a lot of Jared Cowen at age 16. Green is another BIG kid, but needs a lot more work than Hauf. I honestly see Green and Wardley fighting for the final defensive roster spot. Burzan was a late cut last season that I know a lot of scouts like. I was not all that impressed, but I also don't get paid to watch hockey. Neil put up good numbers in the BCMML last season, 46 points in 40 games. I am not sure if he signed with Seattle or not. Another guy I am not sure if he signed is Carter Popoff, 44 points in 40 games in the BCMML.

Weakness: Defense, losing your top 4 defenseman is never a good thing, but losing your top 4 from a defense that wasn't very good???? The defense should be young and will have to growup quickly for Seattle to have success. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleming and Spooner sent packing, but if you do that you really get young. If everyone continues to grow at forward I think Seattle could score alot more than we have seen the last two years.

Strength: Obvious... Goaltending. Calvin Pickard keeps Seattle in basically every game and has for the last two seasons.

Outlook: I really don't know what to expect. I am excited about our coaching staff for the first time in a VERY long time. I think Steve Konowalchuk could do some very good things in Seattle. This team will continue to grow and I could see them putting together somewhere around 70 points next season. If the defense growsup quickly it could be more, if they don't growup it could be less. I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle go trade for another 19-20 year old defender. If it is true that Bonsor is gone, that does open up a OA slot, expect it to be filled with a defender.

July 27th, 2011, 9:24 pm #6

First, I hope you're right. (That is if you are being serious at all which it doesn't look like)

Best offence in league? Not quite, we have some guys that can score (depending on who Bob keeps as 20 y/o's) but the 3rd and 4th lines will be mostly rookies and role-players. You never know how those guys will develope.

Owsley is a great goalie but who knows if he'll even be on the team.

Defense certainly needs beefing up, but if MacKenzie is back and the euro is solid it may be adequate. A trade for a vet would certainly help though.

I can't see the Ams finishing higher than 2nd in the division this year and maybe more like 3rd or 4th. (I think Portland will get a lot of their guys back, maybe just Nino being gone) I'm glad Spokane is losing TJ and Koper, those guys killed us, but with Nachbaur they'll be really tough too.

On the other hand I can't wait to see our rookies Comrie and Williams, I'm hoping a couple other former LA Selects (Becker and Moore) committ to the AMS too.
I saw Comrie in Spokane last year during the playoffs. The King and I made the trip over for the weekend and were very surprised to see him play, but also went home saying "WOW!". We talked to Bob Tory for a few minutes and he said he thinks Comrie will be the best they have had in Tri Cities... WHAT?! Kolzig, Price, Pickard... Nope, he said Comrie. I was very impressed with the way Comrie moves and his composure. Really did remind me of watching Carey Price. I am really excited to see Comrie grow, just as long as he doesn't play well against Seattle lol.

July 27th, 2011, 9:31 pm #7

Not much is going to change on Calgary's roster from last year and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Guaranteed gone are ONLY the 3 overagers from last year: Foucault, Fiddler and Fisenko

The interesting thing for sure will be that while there are only a handful of spots, there's a lot of kids who could not only make it but push some of the older guys on the team for jobs. As it stands right now, Calgary has a lot of 19 year-olds(9) but a lot of those guys are, well, average. Training camp will be interesting as there are a couple of decent prospects (Greg Chase, Luke Gordon and Brent Wold should make the team) and there's a handful of not-bad prospects (Austin Calladine, Calder Brooks, Elliott Peterson, Garrett Forster, Daylon Creasy, Alex Roberts) who could push some members of last year's team out, such as Danny Gayle or John Lawrence. You might as well hold your breath for Victor Rask though, as we're of the belief that he will not come over from Sweden this season.

So in short:
Forwards - Scoring is going to be a problem. Maybe some of last year's 16 year-olds Chase Clayton and Rob Trzonkowski make a quantum leap this season? Otherwise, Hitmen fans are looking at a small group of forwards (Macek, Kirsch, Bubnick, Sylvester) to do a lot more scoring than last season.

Defence - There shouldn't be a single turnover from last year: all 7 are back and this SHOULD start to become a strength for the team. Ben Wilson might even get time at forward if Kosterman, Humphries, Lubin, Roach, Schmidt and Rissling all play to their potential.

Goaltending - A big weakness last season, as talked about earlier it has to be expected that Calgary will give a lot of starts to Drieger and have him split time with Snider or Glover. It'd be beneficial to have that extra overage spot open (by ditching Snider), but we'll see what happens in training camp. Maybe the backup job will go to 16 year-old Mack Shields? Probably not unless Drieger was to start 50+ games this year...

Expectations: 7th to 10th in the conference? It really depends on how many guys play to their potential and who emerges as a leader. As some Hitmen fan pointed out a bit ago, the only link to the 2008-09 team that recorded 122 points is Cody Sylvester. New leaders have to develop and new faces have to step up - maybe this is the beginning of another swoon in the standings (starting in 2012-13) when prospects like Virtanen, Thrower and Oleksyn join the team? We'll see, training camp is one month off!

July 27th, 2011, 9:42 pm #8

For Seattle this is what you got...

Lost from last year:
Brenden Dillon, Defense, Graduated.
Travis Bobbee, Defense, Graduated.
Travis Toomey, Forward, Graduated.
Eric Bonsor, Defense, College.
Ryan Button, Defense, AHL.

Notes: Losing Bobbee is no big deal. Dillon and Toomey were key players last season in many ways. Both wore letters the entire season and were well deserving. Dillon was playing 25-30 minutes a game and at a very high level. Button can return to Seattle but it is highly unlikely. I have been told that Bonsor has told the team he won't return, not sure if the team has reported anything. Backup goalie Michael Salmon could probably be here too as I would imagine the team doesn't want a 19 year old backup when they know they would be losing both goalies at the end of the season.

Returning from last year:
Calvin Pickard, 19, Goalie.
Michael Salmon, 19, Goalie.
Dave Sutter, 19, Defense.
Erik Fleming, 19, Defense.
Mitch Spooner, 19, Defense.
Austin Frank, 18, Defense.
Mitch Elliot, 18, Forward.
Connor Sanvido, 18, Forward.
Justin Hickman, 17, Forward.
Branden Troock, 17, Forward.
Tyler Alos, 18, Forward.
Marcel Noebels, 19, Forward.
Brendan Rouse, 19, Forward.
Colin Jacobs, 18, Forward.
Luke Lockhart, 19, Forward.
Burke Gallimore, 20, Forward.
Chance Lund, 19, Forward.
Jacob Doty, 18, Forward.

Notes: Return #1, #3 #4 and #5 scorers from last season in Gallimore(70), Noebels(54), Lockhart(48) and Jacobs(44). Defensively they bring back pretty much NOTHING! Sutter got better at the end of the season, but honestly was getting worse from October-Mid February. Branden Troock missed all of last season with concussion problems. Should he play and play at the level he played as a 15, I could see him scoring 40-50 points. I could see Alos, Rouse and Lockhart really benefiting from new head coach Steve Konowalchuk.

Incoming/Could Be Incoming players:
Cason Machacek, 20, Defense, Trade from Leth. for future pick.
Shea Theodore, 16, Defense, 3rd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Jared Hauf, 16, Defense, 1st Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Taylor Green, 16, Defense, 2nd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.
Evan Wardley, 17, Defense, 6th Round in 2009 Bantam Draft.
Stefan Burzan, 17, Forward, Trade from Sask. for Jeremy Boyer.
James Neil, 16, Forward, 3rd Round in 2010 Bantam Draft.

Notes: Machacek will be here no doubt and does fill a void on defense. Shea Theodore will be in Seattle and will play and will play a lot. Theodore played a handful of games last season as a 15 and instantly started QBing the PP and did a fine job. Theodore had almost 1/ppg last year in the BCMML. Hauf is a big kid, needs to improve his skating and footwork, but he reminds me a lot of Jared Cowen at age 16. Green is another BIG kid, but needs a lot more work than Hauf. I honestly see Green and Wardley fighting for the final defensive roster spot. Burzan was a late cut last season that I know a lot of scouts like. I was not all that impressed, but I also don't get paid to watch hockey. Neil put up good numbers in the BCMML last season, 46 points in 40 games. I am not sure if he signed with Seattle or not. Another guy I am not sure if he signed is Carter Popoff, 44 points in 40 games in the BCMML.

Weakness: Defense, losing your top 4 defenseman is never a good thing, but losing your top 4 from a defense that wasn't very good???? The defense should be young and will have to growup quickly for Seattle to have success. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleming and Spooner sent packing, but if you do that you really get young. If everyone continues to grow at forward I think Seattle could score alot more than we have seen the last two years.

Strength: Obvious... Goaltending. Calvin Pickard keeps Seattle in basically every game and has for the last two seasons.

Outlook: I really don't know what to expect. I am excited about our coaching staff for the first time in a VERY long time. I think Steve Konowalchuk could do some very good things in Seattle. This team will continue to grow and I could see them putting together somewhere around 70 points next season. If the defense growsup quickly it could be more, if they don't growup it could be less. I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle go trade for another 19-20 year old defender. If it is true that Bonsor is gone, that does open up a OA slot, expect it to be filled with a defender.

Russ said in the announcement of the trade that Bonsor had left the team. So that is a done deal.
Like your assessment of the team, pretty much right on. Defense is going to be the big IF. All going to depend on how much the younger guys improve and if Machacek can be the leader on D that this team is really lacking. Hopefully the boys will buy into the new coaches system FAST.

July 27th, 2011, 9:50 pm #9

Not much is going to change on Calgary's roster from last year and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Guaranteed gone are ONLY the 3 overagers from last year: Foucault, Fiddler and Fisenko

The interesting thing for sure will be that while there are only a handful of spots, there's a lot of kids who could not only make it but push some of the older guys on the team for jobs. As it stands right now, Calgary has a lot of 19 year-olds(9) but a lot of those guys are, well, average. Training camp will be interesting as there are a couple of decent prospects (Greg Chase, Luke Gordon and Brent Wold should make the team) and there's a handful of not-bad prospects (Austin Calladine, Calder Brooks, Elliott Peterson, Garrett Forster, Daylon Creasy, Alex Roberts) who could push some members of last year's team out, such as Danny Gayle or John Lawrence. You might as well hold your breath for Victor Rask though, as we're of the belief that he will not come over from Sweden this season.

So in short:
Forwards - Scoring is going to be a problem. Maybe some of last year's 16 year-olds Chase Clayton and Rob Trzonkowski make a quantum leap this season? Otherwise, Hitmen fans are looking at a small group of forwards (Macek, Kirsch, Bubnick, Sylvester) to do a lot more scoring than last season.

Defence - There shouldn't be a single turnover from last year: all 7 are back and this SHOULD start to become a strength for the team. Ben Wilson might even get time at forward if Kosterman, Humphries, Lubin, Roach, Schmidt and Rissling all play to their potential.

Goaltending - A big weakness last season, as talked about earlier it has to be expected that Calgary will give a lot of starts to Drieger and have him split time with Snider or Glover. It'd be beneficial to have that extra overage spot open (by ditching Snider), but we'll see what happens in training camp. Maybe the backup job will go to 16 year-old Mack Shields? Probably not unless Drieger was to start 50+ games this year...

Expectations: 7th to 10th in the conference? It really depends on how many guys play to their potential and who emerges as a leader. As some Hitmen fan pointed out a bit ago, the only link to the 2008-09 team that recorded 122 points is Cody Sylvester. New leaders have to develop and new faces have to step up - maybe this is the beginning of another swoon in the standings (starting in 2012-13) when prospects like Virtanen, Thrower and Oleksyn join the team? We'll see, training camp is one month off!
I realize that the Hitties weren't world beaters last year but they weren't Portland years bad. He has a monster playoff and Memorial Cup tournament and the next year he only manages a handful of points?

July 27th, 2011, 9:58 pm #10

Who were his linemates in the playoffs/Memorial Cup?

Not saying that is the reason, but ya never know.