"I've been turned off by an NHL that takes the game away from more skilled players and..

"I've been turned off by an NHL that takes the game away from more skilled players and..

June 26th, 2012, 2:12 am #1

puts it in the hands of role players" - CC June 25,2012

The Oilers had a few players named Mcsorley, Semenko and Mclelland...times have not changed as much as you would all like to think.

KASE ******* KLOSED

"This is about as functional for Hockey as smoking cigarettes". www.kevinneeld.com

June 26th, 2012, 3:54 am #2

Those are knuckle draggers, not 3rd line plugs. Essential in the 80s and fantastic to watch. But, nobody ever threw them out there against the other teams' skilled guys and asked them to drag the game into the quicksand with a close-checking, trapping, diving, 30-second shift of boredom.

June 26th, 2012, 4:53 am #3

I DID IT!!!...I used the 'Mom's basement'...Fock do I rock...

"This is about as functional for Hockey as smoking cigarettes". www.kevinneeld.com

June 26th, 2012, 6:19 am #4

There is more skill in one shift of hockey today than there was in a whole game back in the 80s. Have you watched one of those games? They're fricking hackin and wackin and tuggin and hooking and lassooing. The only difference was there were a few guys on each team you couldn't touch who looked like Dorothy Hamill and all of a sudden people are saying 'wow look at the skill,' Yah skill alright. The same 2-3 guys on every team with diplomatic immunity from even being looked at the wrong way, while 14 other guys played roller derby. The worst player in the NHL today would be a freak show stud back then. It's not a lack of skill. It's survivalist coaching and tactical in nature. You take the instigator away, allow 2-3 protected players a game to roam wild (any 2-3) and watching a game would be like a 3 pawed, 3 eyed cat watching four mouse holes, while pawing at a **** stain on a marble floor. It would be impossible to process because the skill is so high. And if you think the 'plugs' couldn't look like something out of another universe if given room and freedom, wrong. These guys can all fly, shoot, handle the puck. Some guys drive the ferarri and some guys change the oild. But they can all drive the ferrari. If you don't believe me, go watch an NHL practice and squint your eyes. You won't be able to tell the difference between a first liner and a fourth liner. They are all studs. Job description is the difference.

June 26th, 2012, 6:55 am #5

Thanks Randy

"Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man!"

June 26th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

There is more skill in one shift of hockey today than there was in a whole game back in the 80s. Have you watched one of those games? They're fricking hackin and wackin and tuggin and hooking and lassooing. The only difference was there were a few guys on each team you couldn't touch who looked like Dorothy Hamill and all of a sudden people are saying 'wow look at the skill,' Yah skill alright. The same 2-3 guys on every team with diplomatic immunity from even being looked at the wrong way, while 14 other guys played roller derby. The worst player in the NHL today would be a freak show stud back then. It's not a lack of skill. It's survivalist coaching and tactical in nature. You take the instigator away, allow 2-3 protected players a game to roam wild (any 2-3) and watching a game would be like a 3 pawed, 3 eyed cat watching four mouse holes, while pawing at a **** stain on a marble floor. It would be impossible to process because the skill is so high. And if you think the 'plugs' couldn't look like something out of another universe if given room and freedom, wrong. These guys can all fly, shoot, handle the puck. Some guys drive the ferarri and some guys change the oild. But they can all drive the ferrari. If you don't believe me, go watch an NHL practice and squint your eyes. You won't be able to tell the difference between a first liner and a fourth liner. They are all studs. Job description is the difference.
I've always said players are much "better" now. Better training, better equipment, better coaching, better DNA, better prep and support...

But... Is the game better? No.

The fact that you can't tell the difference IN PRACTICE between the 1st and 4th liners is not a positive thing in my view.

I'll take the roller derby for entertainment anyday over today's version of soccer on ice.

June 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm #7

Time and space can make anybody look a whole lot better than he is. There just isn't much of it anymore.

June 26th, 2012, 4:57 pm #8

I've always said players are much "better" now. Better training, better equipment, better coaching, better DNA, better prep and support...

But... Is the game better? No.

The fact that you can't tell the difference IN PRACTICE between the 1st and 4th liners is not a positive thing in my view.

I'll take the roller derby for entertainment anyday over today's version of soccer on ice.

I am not sure what game is more palatable to you or anyone else. I just know that the indicidual skill level in pee wee hockey is higher today than it was at the NHL as little as 10 years ago. The number one thing the NHL could do is unionize the coaching position. Give every coach the same type of contract that a university prof gets. Tenure would solve a ton of issues. If a coach knows he has a job and can feed his family even if he lets something outrageous happen, like a defenceman carrying it past his hasmarks (lol), you may see the game open up. Until that time, are you going to screw around with the bacon and bread you bring home, by employing maverick tactics? I wouldn't. I'd be 0 man forecheck, 5 man backcheck, 6 digit paycheck. Creative tacticians like George Kingston, Tom Watt, Dave King, Denis Savard were all going to open things up, get things more exciting. George who? Tom who, Dave who? Did you even see Jerry maguire? He was gonna change things too. He was eating Alpha getti in three months. I love hockey. Therefore, I have learned to embrace the battles, one on ones, tactics etc. Did I watch the playoffs this year? Maybe an hour total. SO, yah they have kind of lost me too. But it's not a lack of skill. It's coaches fighting to make sure they aren't eating alpha getti in 3 months.

June 26th, 2012, 11:20 pm #9

But this statement is right on par with the Saski-clowns who can't even string a sentence together...

"I just know that the indicidual skill level in pee wee hockey is higher today than it was at the NHL as little as 10 years ago."

Back to the bong dude...

June 26th, 2012, 11:32 pm #10

I am not sure what game is more palatable to you or anyone else. I just know that the indicidual skill level in pee wee hockey is higher today than it was at the NHL as little as 10 years ago. The number one thing the NHL could do is unionize the coaching position. Give every coach the same type of contract that a university prof gets. Tenure would solve a ton of issues. If a coach knows he has a job and can feed his family even if he lets something outrageous happen, like a defenceman carrying it past his hasmarks (lol), you may see the game open up. Until that time, are you going to screw around with the bacon and bread you bring home, by employing maverick tactics? I wouldn't. I'd be 0 man forecheck, 5 man backcheck, 6 digit paycheck. Creative tacticians like George Kingston, Tom Watt, Dave King, Denis Savard were all going to open things up, get things more exciting. George who? Tom who, Dave who? Did you even see Jerry maguire? He was gonna change things too. He was eating Alpha getti in three months. I love hockey. Therefore, I have learned to embrace the battles, one on ones, tactics etc. Did I watch the playoffs this year? Maybe an hour total. SO, yah they have kind of lost me too. But it's not a lack of skill. It's coaches fighting to make sure they aren't eating alpha getti in 3 months.
Are you out of your mind? That's a stupid statement for sure. No matter what you think about the players today versus 20 years ago, no kid in peewee today could have played in the NHL back then. Think about things before you post and you won't make yourself look like an idiot.