Hawks Blazers series

Hawks Blazers series

April 9th, 2012, 3:50 am #1

I would like to take a moment here to actually write something about this series thats not just intended to start a childish argument between opposing fans.

This series so far has actually been very fun to watch. Of course better if your a Hawk fan but still a lot of excitement. Look at game 1. Kamloops outplays the Hawks for 2 periods and leads 3 to 1 and then the Hawks completely turn it around in the 3rd and light the place up. That was as loud as I have heard the coliseum in over a decade. Then in game 2, again Kamloops outplays the Hawks again for a good portion of the game, and it stays 0 to 0, due in part to some great goaltending on both sides,until just before the end of the 2nd when Portland gets their first power play of the game and then does what they do best - they get the PP goal. The 3rd period the Hawks score 2 quick ones and then Kamloops comes right back wih a goal and they pick their game back up and the 3rd period became very intense, and fun to watch. The biggest downfall for the Blazers was a very dumb butt ending penalty taken right whn they had been assessed another minor, giving the Hawks a 5-3 and the Hawks took advantage. It got really crazy near the end when Kamloops got a 5 on 3 and pulled Lanigan giving them a 6 on 3 something you dont see everyday. But they failed to put it in the net and the game ended 4 to 1.

I look for Kamloops to come back strong again at home and expect some very close and exciting games. The only difference I think will be the depth and conditioning of Portland. Although it is argued on here that the Hawks are a one line team, let me tell you that is the farthest from the truth. And both games have been won by the Hawks in the 3rd period as they seem to have worn down the Blazers by the 3rd period of each game. So all arguing aside, this series has been very exciting to watch so far and I expect it will continue to be fun to watch.

On a side note regarding the referee, we had Hanson and Papp for game 2 and I thought in the 1st periods that they were awful, basically letting everything go, but in the 3rd they tightened it up and called what they needed to and I think got control of what could have been an ugly 3rd period.

April 9th, 2012, 4:40 am #2

..Will be interesting. I think that Kamloops played as hard as they could in both games, and really brought it to the Hawks for about 45 minutes in each game. Sven Bartschi said in the post game interview after game 1 that Kamloops had tired legs, and the Hawks were able to take advantage of that. I think the stats are revealing in showing that Portland has scored 7 of its 9 goals in the third period, and maybe Kamloops is in fact lacking in the conditioning aspect of their game. Campbell has done an excellent job here with the training of the Hawks, and it shows.

For Kamloops to keep themselves in this series, I think they need a fast start in the first 10 minutes to put the pressure on. The other thing they need is a strong showing in the third period. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, so it should be a good couple games up there!

April 9th, 2012, 5:13 am #3

They are going into their 75th game, correct?
KASE KLOSED

April 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm #4

..Will be interesting. I think that Kamloops played as hard as they could in both games, and really brought it to the Hawks for about 45 minutes in each game. Sven Bartschi said in the post game interview after game 1 that Kamloops had tired legs, and the Hawks were able to take advantage of that. I think the stats are revealing in showing that Portland has scored 7 of its 9 goals in the third period, and maybe Kamloops is in fact lacking in the conditioning aspect of their game. Campbell has done an excellent job here with the training of the Hawks, and it shows.

For Kamloops to keep themselves in this series, I think they need a fast start in the first 10 minutes to put the pressure on. The other thing they need is a strong showing in the third period. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, so it should be a good couple games up there!
You said "maybe Kamloops is in fact lacking in the conditioning aspect of their game".
I have not seen any of the games. Is the Blazers just rolling their top 2 lines all night and by the 3rd they are gassed or are they rolling 3-4 lines and gassed?

Rock On AMS!

April 9th, 2012, 4:15 pm #5

I think that Kamloops has balanced their lines in playing time a bit, but I didn't really pay attention. The thing that I noticed was that early in both games, Kamloops put a lot of pressure on Portland and didn't let them get very many shots from the inside. Later in the game, third period, Portland had a lot more time with the puck in the offensive zone, and they just seemed to beat Kamloops to pucks, and throw the bigger hits. Now, I'm not saying Kamloops is not conditioned, but maybe Portland just had more energy for longer. Or maybe it was nothing at all, and the loops just fell apart in the third period for both games.

April 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm #6

If Kamloops can get some energy from the crowd, and have a great start, I think they have a good chance to win the game. I've always thought that Portland was a third period team this year, and so far in this series they are.

April 9th, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

You said "maybe Kamloops is in fact lacking in the conditioning aspect of their game".
I have not seen any of the games. Is the Blazers just rolling their top 2 lines all night and by the 3rd they are gassed or are they rolling 3-4 lines and gassed?

Rock On AMS!
I think the conditioning issue is a two-fold thing.

First, they're playing incredibly hard the first two periods, and not seeing results. I don't think this has to do with them playing badly, just not beating the 'hawks who have stepped up their defensive efforts quite a bit recently.

Second, the 'hawks are making them work for everything, and that effort isn't being returned on the other end. All year the 'hawks have been gassing teams by the third; no doubt there's probably some conditioning explanation there, but also the way they play the game forces opponents to play keep up, and most teams just don't have the speed to do that. As such, they wear themselves out after 40 minutes (or get caught cheating trying to avoid that).

Kamloops has their work cut out for them. They've yet to figure out a game plan that consistently hinders the 'hawks style of play. Time is running out for them.

April 9th, 2012, 5:13 pm #8

I would like to take a moment here to actually write something about this series thats not just intended to start a childish argument between opposing fans.

This series so far has actually been very fun to watch. Of course better if your a Hawk fan but still a lot of excitement. Look at game 1. Kamloops outplays the Hawks for 2 periods and leads 3 to 1 and then the Hawks completely turn it around in the 3rd and light the place up. That was as loud as I have heard the coliseum in over a decade. Then in game 2, again Kamloops outplays the Hawks again for a good portion of the game, and it stays 0 to 0, due in part to some great goaltending on both sides,until just before the end of the 2nd when Portland gets their first power play of the game and then does what they do best - they get the PP goal. The 3rd period the Hawks score 2 quick ones and then Kamloops comes right back wih a goal and they pick their game back up and the 3rd period became very intense, and fun to watch. The biggest downfall for the Blazers was a very dumb butt ending penalty taken right whn they had been assessed another minor, giving the Hawks a 5-3 and the Hawks took advantage. It got really crazy near the end when Kamloops got a 5 on 3 and pulled Lanigan giving them a 6 on 3 something you dont see everyday. But they failed to put it in the net and the game ended 4 to 1.

I look for Kamloops to come back strong again at home and expect some very close and exciting games. The only difference I think will be the depth and conditioning of Portland. Although it is argued on here that the Hawks are a one line team, let me tell you that is the farthest from the truth. And both games have been won by the Hawks in the 3rd period as they seem to have worn down the Blazers by the 3rd period of each game. So all arguing aside, this series has been very exciting to watch so far and I expect it will continue to be fun to watch.

On a side note regarding the referee, we had Hanson and Papp for game 2 and I thought in the 1st periods that they were awful, basically letting everything go, but in the 3rd they tightened it up and called what they needed to and I think got control of what could have been an ugly 3rd period.
have outplayed the Hawks in this series but it's been a 5-6 min burst by Portland in each game that has them up 2-0. The Blazers have outplayed the Hawks in 5 out of 6 periods I think. Series should be split, it's not. All these Portland fans struggle to see the game from any perspective but their own. Even Mike Johnston feels that way and has said as much. Gabriel gets three games today, just my opinion.

April 9th, 2012, 5:51 pm #9

What are you actually watching? If Gabriel gets 3 games for what should have been a non call then the league is smoking the same stuff you are. And as far as your comment that the series should be 1-1, how do you figure? Portland outscored the Blazers in both games, thus they win both games. Thats the way it works. It's a good thing you don't get a win for "outplaying" the other team in the opinion of a fan. Obviously at times the Hawks were outplayed, however they must have outplayed Kamloops at the right times and enough to be up 2 games in this series. Not sure where your logic is coming from but I don't see it.

April 9th, 2012, 6:03 pm #10

have outplayed the Hawks in this series but it's been a 5-6 min burst by Portland in each game that has them up 2-0. The Blazers have outplayed the Hawks in 5 out of 6 periods I think. Series should be split, it's not. All these Portland fans struggle to see the game from any perspective but their own. Even Mike Johnston feels that way and has said as much. Gabriel gets three games today, just my opinion.
said quotes from Mike Johnston detailing the 100+ minutes the Blazers have outplayed the Winterhawks this past weekend.

You won't find any such commentary - but you know that. Rather, you're just reading the whole line about the Blazers playing well as saying "they're better than us but we got lucky."

I find your point about 'hawks fans only being able to see things from their perspective to be quite... ironic.

I'll take a sweep where Kamloops is "outplaying us" every time.