Dillon Donnelly confesses breaking the Memorial Cup

Dillon Donnelly confesses breaking the Memorial Cup

July 25th, 2012, 11:33 pm #1

Shawinigan Cataractes defenceman Dillon Donnelly apologized Tuesday for damaging the Memorial Cup during his day with the trophy.

Pictures published this week showed a battered Memorial Cup, with the top metal portion ripped and bent and the wooden base cracked. The damage happened sometime since the trophy was awarded to the Cataractes in May.

Donnelly, 19, fessed up to causing the damage with a post on Twitter.

"Breaking the Memorial Cup was an accident. I picked it up, lost my balance and dropped it. There was no intention to break. I'm sorry," he tweeted.

Regardless of how the damage happened, Cataractes general manager Martin Mondou said Donnelly will have to pay for the repairs. The Cup is on its way back to Toronto to be fixed.

The good news is the trophy given to the players is a replica. The original is on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

This isn't the first time the Memorial Cup has been damaged. The trophy broke apart soon after it was presented on the ice to the Spokane Chiefs following their win over the Kitchener Rangers in the 2008 final
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/24/ca ... morial-cup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was just an accident(and i am suprised more of them down happen) Then i feel a little bad for the player having to pay(i think i heard around 20,000$? I was that just insurance) A fair price for it. However, it couldve also been carelessness and ignorance... Maybe he was at a party and being stupid with it, who knows? I sure dont. If it is a legit accident then its forgivable in my books.

July 26th, 2012, 3:00 am #2

Losing your balance and tripping doesn't begin to explain the big damage done to this Cup. You don't rip and bend a large portion of the cup by accidently falling. There is far more to this story, but I am sure it will never come out truthfully, so chalk it up to drunkeness behavior and a total lack of respect for a Cup that many young men play hard for the right to raise above their heads. If the CHL is going to allow players to take it home, they better ship a guard with it, or keep it in the custody of the team with hopefully some responsible Coach, A/Coach or GM to watch over it.

July 26th, 2012, 4:41 am #3

Unfortunately niether of us "really" know the truth. It looks like the trophy took a tumble or 2 down the stairs. But then again that trophy hasnt been known to be the most sturdy. Spokane didnt really break it, it just fell apart. And the trophy is also how many years old. So who knows?

July 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm #4

Shawinigan Cataractes defenceman Dillon Donnelly apologized Tuesday for damaging the Memorial Cup during his day with the trophy.

Pictures published this week showed a battered Memorial Cup, with the top metal portion ripped and bent and the wooden base cracked. The damage happened sometime since the trophy was awarded to the Cataractes in May.

Donnelly, 19, fessed up to causing the damage with a post on Twitter.

"Breaking the Memorial Cup was an accident. I picked it up, lost my balance and dropped it. There was no intention to break. I'm sorry," he tweeted.

Regardless of how the damage happened, Cataractes general manager Martin Mondou said Donnelly will have to pay for the repairs. The Cup is on its way back to Toronto to be fixed.

The good news is the trophy given to the players is a replica. The original is on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

This isn't the first time the Memorial Cup has been damaged. The trophy broke apart soon after it was presented on the ice to the Spokane Chiefs following their win over the Kitchener Rangers in the 2008 final
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/24/ca ... morial-cup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was just an accident(and i am suprised more of them down happen) Then i feel a little bad for the player having to pay(i think i heard around 20,000$? I was that just insurance) A fair price for it. However, it couldve also been carelessness and ignorance... Maybe he was at a party and being stupid with it, who knows? I sure dont. If it is a legit accident then its forgivable in my books.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhock ... s9Uceb7nJM#_=_

i do feel for the kid who now doesnt get a chance to show the cup to his family and friends.

July 27th, 2012, 7:34 am #5

because you're a goof too

July 27th, 2012, 2:18 pm #6

That was SUCH a good diss man. I mean, some people really know how to bring it. Did you come up with that one on your own? Is it an original piece? If so, then you could really be going places in the future! You heard it here first.

July 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm #7

I rest my case