Blades/Giants Make Big Deal

October 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm #1

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/article/ ... -levi-bews

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Michael Burns/Zach Hodder and a 4th in 2013

Thoughts?

October 4th, 2011, 7:37 pm #2

That is pretty standard really. The Brayden Schenn/Cody Eakin deal I would consider a big deal.

An average goalie on the move doesn't really qualify as a big deal.

October 4th, 2011, 7:54 pm #3

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Thoughts?
Giants needed a goalie. Anyone with a save % hovering around .900 will do. I have no idea who Bews is. Zach Hodder is a softy, no loss there. The kid has talent but no grit or heart. As long as Morrison can play reasonably well, the Giants have benefited here, regardless of the parts they gave up.

October 4th, 2011, 7:55 pm #4

That is pretty standard really. The Brayden Schenn/Cody Eakin deal I would consider a big deal.

It is a deal that really makes both teams alot better. Vancouver gets a much needed upgrade in the goaltending department and they add a 17 yr old former 2nd round pick with good upside. Bews just didn't fit in the Saskatoon system style of play.

On the other hand, Makarov has shown he can be on par with Morrison in goal so Saskatoon adds more depth in the process. They get older and more experienced up front while adding another 20 goal scorer in Burns who also has size and character. Zach Hodder is the true wildcard as he is a skilled, big defenceman and a former 1st round pick. He had injury problems and a falling out in Vancouver and was waiting a trade.

If Hodder comes in and plays to his potential, he is easily a top 4 guy this year. It would also give the Blades arguably the top defence in the league or near to it anyway.

Siemens - Dietz
Thrower - Hodder
Cox - Schmidt

Not bad!

October 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm #5

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Thoughts?
Giants were desperate for a goalie. Burns is a solid forward and Hodder a former 1st round pick on D. No idea about Bews.

I'm guessing Jensen is on his way out, Giants will develop Whistle for next year with Payton Lee as his backup...

October 4th, 2011, 8:04 pm #6

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Thoughts?
I believe they have now used fifteen goalies since Tyson Sexsmith left a couple years ago.

October 4th, 2011, 8:06 pm #7

Giants were desperate for a goalie. Burns is a solid forward and Hodder a former 1st round pick on D. No idea about Bews.

I'm guessing Jensen is on his way out, Giants will develop Whistle for next year with Payton Lee as his backup...

Levi Bews is a big player who shows flashes of talent, using his size. However, Lorne wasn't happy with the fact he wouldn't go to the dirty areas to score. He has big potential forsure and it really wouldn't surprise me to see him put up some modest numbers this year like 15 goals or so if given the chance.

Really anxious to see Hodder. He only has played 50 career games in 2 seasons but has put up numbers from the backend. He isn't very physical by the sounds of it. Maybe more of a finesse, power play dman.

Burns sounds gritty, hard working and a 20 goal type winger.

October 4th, 2011, 8:09 pm #8

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Thoughts?
I don't know what Lamoureux's issue is as he hasn't done anything in three seasons and was scratched the previous game. Not sure if he was injured but what a waste of a spot. I will take Mitch Czibere over him any day.

October 4th, 2011, 8:15 pm #9

This guy has got to go. He is without a doubt the most non-descript player the Giants have ever had. He can't score, can't hit, and can't win battles. I guess he can kill penalties decently, but the way the team's PK is going these days...what have we got to lose by dumping him? I'm sorry, but a player has got to bring SOMETHING to the table. Lamoreaux just plain doesn't. Gimme any 16 y-o with a pulse and the team would be better off.

October 4th, 2011, 8:18 pm #10

4 players and a pick involved. Not a blockbuster, but probably the biggest trade thus far in the season.