Your Favourite player

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Your Favourite player

September 13th, 2017, 7:56 pm #1

Just a light hearted question. Who was your favourite player growing up? For me Adam Gilchrist the way he played with freedom was amazing. He brought genuine joy to me in my teens and twenties. Also had the pleasure to see him play in the flesh. One player I wished I'd seen play was Michael Holding. What a bowler.
Poor man’s Tim Bresnan

September 13th, 2017, 8:05 pm #2

Sir Viv Richards.

September 13th, 2017, 8:09 pm #3

Just a light hearted question. Who was your favourite player growing up? For me Adam Gilchrist the way he played with freedom was amazing. He brought genuine joy to me in my teens and twenties. Also had the pleasure to see him play in the flesh. One player I wished I'd seen play was Michael Holding. What a bowler.
Geoff Boycott.

Best player I've seen Viv Richards.

September 13th, 2017, 8:12 pm #4

Ian Botham my childhood cricketing hero.

September 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm #5

Born in the late 80s and from sheffield so Michael Vaughan obvious choice and Darren Lehmann

September 13th, 2017, 8:19 pm #6

Edward Ralph Dexter. He just seemed to be able to do anything.

First cricketer I can remember who looked like he was enjoying himself.

September 13th, 2017, 8:36 pm #7

Robin Smith. What a ferocious cutter of the ball.

September 13th, 2017, 8:52 pm #8

Favourite Yorkshire/England player - Sir Geoffrey Boycott
Favourite overseas player - Sir Garfield Sobers
Favourite sub continent player. - Sachin Tendulkar
Favourite Australasian player - Sir Donald Bradman

September 13th, 2017, 8:59 pm #9

An impossible question for an old timer.

Of all our county opponents I was excited most by Clive Lloyd. Scintillating when in his pomp. But then again.....

Dozens of other wonderful, eccentric, lovable players spring to mind for a host of different reasons. Books have been written about this sort of thing.

September 13th, 2017, 9:18 pm #10

My favourites changed over time, but were relatively banal choices. Trueman was definitely the first, with May as the favourite batsman. Boycott supplanted Trueman as top Yorkshireman and England player, though I was a big Vic Wilson fan when I first watched Yorkshire and tended to prefer Hampshire to Boycott when I was watching in the mid-60s. On the overseas front, Sobers and Graeme Pollock were way ahead of all the others, though I also had a soft spot for Roy Fredericks (or anybody who could play the cut shot well) and Hanif Mohammed.
What used to amaze me was the quirkiness of the kids I was at school with when it came to choosing a favourite. My best cricket-playing mate was a huge fan of Tom Graveney, but also of Paul Sheahan (!?), while the boy who sat behind me in my first year at grammar school (no sort of athlete at all) was bonkers for a time about Keith Stackpole.