Your Favourite player

13 Sep 2017, 21:30 #11

Just a light hearted question. Who was your favourite player growing up? For me Adam Gilchrist the way he played with freedom was amazing. He brought genuine joy to me in my teens and twenties. Also had the pleasure to see him play in the flesh. One player I wished I'd seen play was Michael Holding. What a bowler.
David Bairstow. I even went to the factory in Horbury and got a pair of his Yorkshire coloured keeping gloves that saw me through my university and club cricket career.

13 Sep 2017, 22:07 #12

Just a light hearted question. Who was your favourite player growing up? For me Adam Gilchrist the way he played with freedom was amazing. He brought genuine joy to me in my teens and twenties. Also had the pleasure to see him play in the flesh. One player I wished I'd seen play was Michael Holding. What a bowler.
All seen in live action before I reached 20....

As a little kid: Len Hutton.
Growing up: Brian Close, followed closely by Johnny Wardle, Fred Trueman, Raymond Illingworth, Jimmy Binks.
Admired non-Yorkshire: Brian Statham + Ted Dexter, Tom Graveney, Ken Barrington.
World: Garfield Sobers + Rohan Kanhai, Lance Gibbs, Wes Hall, Alan Davidson, Richie Benaud.

Regrets I didn't see: Hedley Verity, Don Bradman, Jim Laker, Ray Lindwall.
Bowlers win matches

14 Sep 2017, 06:13 #13

Sir Geoffrey . Tony Greig . Barry Richards.

14 Sep 2017, 06:51 #14

Always a tricky one to answer as my view changes over time and will vary due to the very different roles within a cricket team.

Clearly a Yorkshire bias but my first favourite was always Boycott from the 70s when I started following Yorkshire and he was carrying the expectations of a whole county on his shoulders. This then evolved to liking David Bairstow as he played with his heart on his sleeve and had that visible commitment I value in any sportsman. This then brought in Phil Carrick who led us to victory on my most memorable day at any match at lords on 1987 plus he was a left arm spinner like me (at the time at least).

More recently it's moved full circle as Bairstow junior plays the same way as his Dad but backed by more ability.

Away from Yorkshire I have admired a few like Warne for his ability when you could not take your eye off him bowling at all ( and I was fortunate to see his first ball in the Ashes at Old Trafford in 1993 ) and Lillee for his quality, perseverance and watchability

14 Sep 2017, 07:12 #15

Fred first, then Closey who when I was young seemed to be the embodiment of Yorkshire cricket and everything that put it at odds with the powers at Lord's.

Admired GB's batting but there was always a case against him as a team player.

Later, both Bairstows, and if I was the praying type , I'd put in a little word for Rashid to really fulfill his potential.

14 Sep 2017, 08:00 #16

I became fanatical about cricket from the age of 12 and kept cuttings of all England Test Matches for a couple of years. My favourite was Alan Lamb. Loved his competitive streak and the way he stood up to the West Indies.

14 Sep 2017, 08:06 #17

Yorkshire - Lehmann
England - Gough

14 Sep 2017, 08:11 #18

Growing up: Gower

14 Sep 2017, 08:32 #19

Freddie Truman my all time favourite YCCC player
Gary Sobers my favourite all time overseas player

14 Sep 2017, 08:37 #20

For me it has to be Imran Khan, a truly exceptional player.