Yorkshire and Tendulkar

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Yorkshire and Tendulkar

January 12th, 2017, 9:31 pm #1

If its cold and miserable outside, this 30 minute clip is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WLPNHett0

January 13th, 2017, 12:51 am #2

Thanks for posting, Sid.

Much worth watching in it -- a young Gough, an old Carrick, nostalgic glimpses of the old configuration of Headingley, scoring rates almost at T20 momentum. And was there an early example of the reverse sweep (from Fairbrother or Speak)?

Enjoyed all the more because I missed this era of Yorkshire cricket completely (was living in France, hands full with three kids under 5 in 1991 - and pre-Internet of course). I didn't even know we had a player called Christopher Pickles. Was he capped?

I never saw Tendulkar bat for Yorkshire. Lots I want to look up after watching this.

January 13th, 2017, 11:10 am #3

Chris Pickles was an old style Yorkshire all rounder (i.e. not good enough with bat or ball) medium pace bowler/batsman who was around the club from 1985 to 1992. He played more one day than first class cricket. Think of him as sub-Pyrah without the fielding ability or enthusiasm.

Pickles started out as a thin lad who looked very like Chris Shaw (Josh's dad, who sadly had to retire due to injury) and ended up a rather rotund cricketer who went on to have a good career in the Bradford league. Thankfully he was never capped for Yorkshire.

To understand the above, I have to state that Chris Pickles is probably my least liked Yorkshire cricketer. He's still mentioned at matches, mainly when friends praise the Bradford league.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Yorkshi ... 11291.html

January 14th, 2017, 8:27 am #4

Harsh on Pickles perhaps who filled gaps due to lack of overseas player pre Tendulkar and England call ups for a variety of our seamers at the time.

I don't tend to like the negative awards such as least favourite player etc and if they were handed out Pickles would not feature in my thinking.

If pushed my pick might be someone like Richard Stemp who was an outsider, flattered to deceive and had a few off field problems too.

January 14th, 2017, 11:28 am #5

I agree Third Umpire.
Pickles wasn't the most talented cricketer to play for Yorkshire. At a desperately grim time for the team he gave of his best and deserves to be remembered with some gratitude by Yorkshire supporters.

January 14th, 2017, 4:08 pm #6

Talk of unappreciated players, who do forum members think was the best post-war player never to receive a cap?

Off the top of my head, Chris Shaw, Howard Cooper and Colin Johnson all seem to be in contention.

January 14th, 2017, 4:10 pm #7

I agree Third Umpire.
Pickles wasn't the most talented cricketer to play for Yorkshire. At a desperately grim time for the team he gave of his best and deserves to be remembered with some gratitude by Yorkshire supporters.
As I remember it, Stemp was signed originally as a 'stop gap' until young Gary Keedy was ready. Two unexpected events then occurred. Firstly, Stemp was picked for England (by Illingworth?). Next, Keedy, seeing himself as behind Stemp in the pecking order, decided not to wait but went to Lancashire instead. Yorkshire then had little choice but to persevere with Stemp for a few more years.
incidentally, Stemp's parents became Yorkshire members and remain so to this day. They are sometimes to be seen at Headingley, but are always at Scarborough.

January 14th, 2017, 4:25 pm #8

Of the three you mention, Remit, I think Howard Cooper was the most unlucky not to receive a cap. He was a regular for quite a while in the early part of the seventies and a very capable seamer if not quite quick enough or cunning enough to reach top class. He was one of those players, who, in a more potent side, might have achieved more. He was capable of long spells and could keep it tight.

Colin Johnson was a superb fielder but a rather dour batsman. He played quite a lot round about the same time as Cooper and also, I think, a little later. He seldom made a major impact but always seemed to be a well liked and dependable team player. At around about the same time, I had a soft spot for Peter Squires, the Rugby international, whose fielding was also electric and who was a more dashing batsman than Johnson.

Chris Shaw, like Pickles, had his best days when Yorkshire were at their weakest. Indeed for a time, Pickles and Shaw seemed to be the basis of the seam attack - and it always seemed as if the opposition were 300 for 3 in reply to Yorkshire's 180. Like Cooper, Chris Shaw may also have been more generously remembered in a stronger side.

January 14th, 2017, 5:37 pm #9

I never quite understood what went wrong for Richard Kettleborough, but as it didn't work out at Middlesex either, I suppose the decision to let him go turned out to be justified. Played one match-winning innings though.

January 14th, 2017, 6:56 pm #10

Looking at Ketts now he may be grateful it went wrong as he has had a longer career at the highest level in a different capacity