Yorkshire and Tendulkar

14 Jan 2017, 20:45 #11

I never quite understood what went wrong for Richard Kettleborough, but as it didn't work out at Middlesex either, I suppose the decision to let him go turned out to be justified. Played one match-winning innings though.
...and something seemed to have gone wrong for Andrew Dalton...

14 Jan 2017, 22:13 #12

Dalton was a very fine player lost to the game. Some suggest that he was disillusioned with Boycott's leadership.

The Kettleborough innings was superb - obdurate and defiant. Such a pity that was all there was.

15 Jan 2017, 21:02 #13

I always thought Stuart Fletcher must have been close to a 'cap' in the late 80s. Simon Kellett?

Of those mentioned Howard Cooper was a decent county bowler, and I'd agree cant have been far away.

As an aside I rather liked Chris Pickles, a poor mans Tim Bresnan?

15 Jan 2017, 23:28 #14

Harold D Bird never got his cap, of course. I wondered whether Brian Bolus had, and it turns out he was capped by Yorkshire, before going on to greater fame with Notts and England.

The official site gives caps in order, David Willey being number 181. Who will be 182? Handscomb, I suppose.
https://yorkshireccc.com/history/capped-players

Cap number 128 is interesting. One of the few edible cricketers, I would suggest. Nice typo!
Bowlers win matches

16 Jan 2017, 10:54 #15

I always thought Stuart Fletcher must have been close to a 'cap' in the late 80s. Simon Kellett?

Of those mentioned Howard Cooper was a decent county bowler, and I'd agree cant have been far away.

As an aside I rather liked Chris Pickles, a poor mans Tim Bresnan?
Fletcher was capped in 1988 (Cap 131).

Richard Dawson (Cap 154 in September 2004) is probably unique in that he was capped for Yorkshire after his England career was over (his last test was Sydney in January 2003).

And oddly, I have a mate who dislikes Howard Cooper with a venum.

Oh yes. And thanks to DM for the link

16 Jan 2017, 11:39 #16

I recall Chris Pickles playing against Scotland in a Group Match of the Benson and Hedges Cup in 1987. At the final, at Lord's, I was surprised to find that he was seated immediately behind me, having purchased his own ticket.

I suspect nowadays all cricketers who had played during the qualifying stages would automatically be invited along at the club's expense.

Sadly things were so much different in those days

16 Jan 2017, 14:55 #17

I recall that Stuart Fletcher and Phil Robinson, somewhat bizarrely, received their caps simultaneously in mid-winter. A ceremony was held in the original pavilion. I was one of a surprisingly large number of supporters who attended. Within two years both had been released.

16 Jan 2017, 15:37 #18

"Cap number 128 is interesting. One of the few edible cricketers, I would suggest. Nice typo!"

Always nice to see a decent cut.

16 Jan 2017, 16:16 #19

I recall that Stuart Fletcher and Phil Robinson, somewhat bizarrely, received their caps simultaneously in mid-winter. A ceremony was held in the original pavilion. I was one of a surprisingly large number of supporters who attended. Within two years both had been released.
Sorry JD I have to disagree. Yes Fletcher was released and went to Lancs, which was amusing as Stuart had been disliked by the Lancies for not walking when they claimed he'd edged a ball when saving Yorks (along with Richard Blakey) in an hour plus undefeated 10 wicket stand at Old Trafford.

But I'm pretty sure that Phil Robinson left of his own accord after Yorks declined to give him a permanent place in the team. There were 'rumours' around that Phil's rather attractive wife was 'a bit pushy'. Robbo ended up at Leicester where he became part of the coaching team after his retirement. I've a feeling Robinson would have had a better career today as he was 'a hitter's in an era where Yorkshire's coaching was strictly forward defensive. He'd start to play a shot, thin, not go through with it because of his coaching & ended up hitting the ball to a fielder. Today he'd complete the shot & score runs.

16 Jan 2017, 19:51 #20

You may well be right about the exact circumstances of Robinson's departure, dpressed.
Fletcher's son, Craig, spent some time in the Yorkshire Academy. His bowling was similar to his father's. Unfortunately he did not quite make the grade. He has since plied his trade in the Huddersfield League.
Robinson's brother, Richard, is well-known to followers of the Bradford League. I believe his career aggregate of over 16,000 runs is a record. He is currently a member of the Yorkshire ground staff and has been responsible for bringing about vast improvements to the square at Weetwood where the Academy currently plays.