West Indies v England ODI 3rd March

06 Mar 2017, 10:17 #11

I don't think Buttler will be too angry if 'rested' for the final 50 over game. The series is won and its only a warm up game for the Champions trophy.
Buttler is a fabulous batter but strangely off form.

06 Mar 2017, 10:46 #12

Buttler has scored 25,31,10,11,14,0 in his last six ODIs. Seems to me that it is a judgement call as to whether he is rested or not - but he can hardly be upset if he is rested - unless something disastrous happens he is a shoo in for the champions trophy.

In terms of our squad, I differ slightly in relation to the comments about Rashid. He is still number 9 on the ICC ODI bowlers rankings, and was the most successful bowler in the world last year in terms of wickets taken. There is the key for me. If we assume that six an over in an ODI is pretty much par these days, then I think Rashid is expected to "go at par" in most games but take key wickets. He is not being used as a container. He clearly lost some confidence in India but showed signs yesterday of that confidence returning. I agree that without numbers in the wickets column there isn't a lot of point in him being in the team.

06 Mar 2017, 11:06 #13

Better performance from the England bowlers in this game, Adil included. If you bowl it on a length, with dip and spin, and they slog it for four or six...that's life.

Shame about the batting, Root and Woakes apart.

Somewhere, there's a universe in which Roy and Hales and Billings and Buttler are better batsmen than Bairstow. But not this one.

I have one major gripe about all forms of limited overs cricket. In this game, I was enjoying the battle between offspinner Nurse and Joe Root; it was great cricket, the meeting of two "gun players" on the day. Then they had to take Nurse off because he had bowled his 10 overs, while Root was allowed to bat on. Why?

I think ONE bowler should be allowed to bowl a double allocation of overs.
Bowlers win matches

06 Mar 2017, 11:29 #14

Completely agree with that DM, and for me it's one of the reasons limited overs cricket is less interesting. I remember seeing a Lord's final between Middlesex and Kent in 1984. Kent hadn't really got enough runs, but Derek Underwood made it competitive with 1-25 in his 12 overs. The Middlesex batsmen didn't know what to do with him, and this was about flight and variation, he wasn't turning it much. He would have won the game had the 12 over restriction not been in place. I remember another final where Alan Donald similarly kept Warwicks in it (Against Gloucs?). In the end Warwicks were giving him a single over every time the game seemed to be slipping too far away.

A form of the game which artificially curtails the most interesting aspect of a match has got something wrong.

06 Mar 2017, 11:34 #15

Better performance from the England bowlers in this game, Adil included. If you bowl it on a length, with dip and spin, and they slog it for four or six...that's life.

Shame about the batting, Root and Woakes apart.

Somewhere, there's a universe in which Roy and Hales and Billings and Buttler are better batsmen than Bairstow. But not this one.

I have one major gripe about all forms of limited overs cricket. In this game, I was enjoying the battle between offspinner Nurse and Joe Root; it was great cricket, the meeting of two "gun players" on the day. Then they had to take Nurse off because he had bowled his 10 overs, while Root was allowed to bat on. Why?

I think ONE bowler should be allowed to bowl a double allocation of overs.
Probably the same universe in which all four have comfortably superior white ball records to Bairstow.

My darling Maxi

06 Mar 2017, 18:44 #16

I feel that Buttler is being selected at the moment more for what he might do, than what he actually does.

06 Mar 2017, 18:51 #17

Or he's being selected for what he has already done....I don't think it would be very wise to drop him just because he's having a dip in form. Morgan came good, then Root and so will Buttler.

06 Mar 2017, 20:00 #18

Bairstow a better white ball player than Hales, Roy, Buttler or Billings?
Dropping Buttler?
Are some members of this forum England selectors from the 90's?

06 Mar 2017, 20:08 #19

Probably the same universe in which all four have comfortably superior white ball records to Bairstow.
And the same universe where Bairstow scored 80 plus in the warm up game whilst the others didn't?

06 Mar 2017, 20:16 #20

An 80odd which was Bairstows highest List A score in 3 years. Hardly knocking down the door for selection with that record.
With Hales due to come back I'm not sure Bairstow is even the next cab off the rank for England at present.