Warwickshire

Warwickshire

26 Jul 2017, 15:04 #1

Clark back to Surrey, who he used to play for, to be replaced, presumably, as the middle-order all rounder by Rhodes.

26 Jul 2017, 15:25 #2

Warks snapped up Hose from Somerset too.
My darling Maxi

26 Jul 2017, 16:24 #3

Clark back to Surrey, who he used to play for, to be replaced, presumably, as the middle-order all rounder by Rhodes.
If Rhodes does half as well as Clarke he will do well and have a good career there.

Hose has only just broken though at Somerset so why is he moving too?

Giles clearly clearing the decks at the Bears to bring in a new regime. Several who went there are now going back. Chopra, Clarke,

26 Jul 2017, 17:00 #4

Firefighting.

27 Jul 2017, 20:16 #5

Time will tell but I cant believe we've let Rhodes go. He's without doubt better than TKC and maybe superior to Leaning.

I think he'll do well at Wark. Good luck to him.

02 Aug 2017, 16:50 #6

Sibley the next man in..
My darling Maxi

02 Aug 2017, 21:41 #7

Having lived in Birmingham for 30 years, I'm surprised that the county has unearthed so little local talent - particularly from the urban areas. This is a conurbation of 2 million people, which produces any number of footballers but struggles to fill a county cricket team from the local area, despite vibrant junior and recreational cricket.

Moeen Ali raised just one aspect of this in his recent interview with the Guardian: "Look at Warwickshire. This is a big city of Asian people, so why can’t you produce any south Asian players? I don’t understand. Either the coaching system is not great or they just don’t know how to tap into it or they’ve not tried.”

02 Aug 2017, 21:53 #8

My thoughts are Warwickshire are too lazy to bring through their own and therefore look to other counties.
That said at least is Rhodes, Hose and Sibley they are signing players before their peak and will hopefully improve them.

Sibley is a smart signing.

03 Aug 2017, 06:57 #9

I have some sympathy for Surrey here which is not a phrase I use very often. I agree with Stewart's stance in that they cannot guarantee a top three slot in all formats and Sibley has taken the easy route and money presumably. With Sangakarra retiring and ROY in the England plans there would be plenty of opportunities at Surrey even more so when stoneman is finally called up by England.

But then the cheque book brown hatters have to some extent shot themselves in the foot by signing Stoneman and Borthwick to either block or compete depending on your viewpoint.

Warwickshire are an ageing team in decline having seen them last year at headingley. Bell isn't doing what others discarded by England have done and go back and show you are a level above county cricket. Chopra and Clarke have come and gone back home disillusioned. Youngsters like Umeed and Hain don't seem to grab their chances and it's interesting that nearest neighbours at Worcester have backed their local youth and until the TKC fall out were flying.

Word of warning to Gale. I would watch out for Giles tapping up the likes of Lees and Leaning with a sweetener of being skipper when Bell retires.

03 Aug 2017, 07:11 #10

Rhodes may find himself with the same problem at Warks the rate they're signing players at present...