U19 World cup 2018

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

U19 World cup 2018

January 9th, 2018, 9:38 am #1

Nice start for England in the warm-up match v Ireland, the win included 2 x 100 ret out, one by Captain Harry Brook.

Some games on Sky so I'm going to spend a few weeks seeing if I can spot the next big thing.

It would be nice if he wasn't too far from home.

January 9th, 2018, 10:22 am #2

Personally think 2018 will see young Harry kick start his career with YCCC, was impressed with what I saw of him last season. Think he needs one decent innings to get his confidence going with us.
And Glenn McGrath dismissed for 2 just 98 runs short of his century.
Richie Benaud

January 10th, 2018, 9:14 pm #3

Nice start for England in the warm-up match v Ireland, the win included 2 x 100 ret out, one by Captain Harry Brook.

Some games on Sky so I'm going to spend a few weeks seeing if I can spot the next big thing.

England's 2nd match abandoned without a ball being bowled. Second day in a row all 4 practice games have been rained off. Hope it's more a case of getting the rain out of the way rather than an omen of what's to come when the competition proper starts on Saturday.https://www.icc-cricket.com/u19-world-cup/fixtures

January 14th, 2018, 9:35 pm #4

England just starting against a country that's difficult to pronounce. It seems we have three bowlers injured and unavailable, so we'll see. It's at the beautiful Queenstown venue, so at least the scenery will be good.
Not sure that our performance here will match our brilliant young footballers in the summer.

January 15th, 2018, 7:14 am #5

Easy win for England over Namibia. Unbeaten half century for Harry Brook and two wickets with his deceptive medium pace.

January 15th, 2018, 9:18 am #6

Hard to pick out prospects at that age and having not seen the top teams in the tournament yet, but from all accounts it's India who seem to have the likeliest lads. Our promising players have a habit of becoming mired in the county system, whereas India does seem to produce the exceptional talents. Mind you, a cricket-mad population of over a billion must help.
Harry looked good against some largely innocuous bowling. I didn't see our leg spinner but the offie was OK.

January 15th, 2018, 9:36 am #7

Currently in Queenstown for a few days, naturally I had to go over to the John Davies Oval and see the Young Lions in action.

The pitch appeared to be on the slow side and pace off the ball seemed to work, though England's quicks bowled just as well. Namibia are no mugs and have two promising middle order prospects in Eben van Wyk and Nicol Loftus-Eden, the former scoring a half century against Bangladesh above a run a ball.

When Harry put himself onto bowl he looked a tad quicker than the time he bowled against Somerset at Scarborough and also filled out a bit more in the upper body area. Not an out and out quick but fast enough to beat the edge of the bat.

England's opener got off to a steady start aided by some quick, but erratic Namibian bowling. When Brook came on he looked like was 100% match sharp, a class above and all the time in the world to play his shots. The first shot that went for four was more of a square drive that pierced the fielding circle and beaten the fielder backing up. When Harry was set he even walked towards a medium pace delivery and pummeled the off-side for four.

Another exciting batsman, Will Jacks of Surrey came in and looked just equally as talented. Took slightly longer to get going, but his stroke play was more aggressive but precise and played all around the park. It's only a matter of time before Jacks makes his County debut for Surrey and a name to look out for in the non too distant future.

Brook and Jacks upped the ante as England looked to better the net-rate Bangladesh achieved against Namibia, as Thursday's forecast at Queenstown has a threat of showers. In the event of a no result and England beating Canada on Saturday, the Young Lions go top of Group C facing the runners up of Group B in the Quarter Final (one of India, Australia or Zimbabwe)

No Pyrah, no party

January 15th, 2018, 9:38 am #8

England v Namibia - it really would have been embarrassing if we hadn't disposed of them efficiently. Their team seemed to comprise 10 whites and one token black, and with a population of only 100,000 whites (out of just 2 million total), and only 6 or 7 cricket-playing schools (according to the commentary), they can't have had many players to choose from.

As it was, they scored almost 200 against some pretty awful England bowling, admittedly on a flat, boring pitch. We have an abysmal record at this level, comparing cricket to rugby, for example, where we have dominated at under 20 level for years. We only missed a hat-trick of World Championships this summer because half the best players were with the senior team in Argentina. We still reached the final, though.
Bowlers win matches

January 15th, 2018, 9:34 pm #9

As the old saying goes you can only beat what's in front of you. Playing in such a relatively easy group might well be a disadvantage when the knock-out starts.

Very impressed by the way Brook and Jacks went about things.

January 15th, 2018, 10:07 pm #10

is the u19 tournament being televised?