Travelling support -Lords day 4

Travelling support -Lords day 4

25 Sep 2016, 20:35 #1

I exchanged texts with a friend about the following question:

Was the Yorkshire support at Lords on day 4 the largest EVER travelling (away) support at a first class county match?

I thought it might be. The friend less sure, suggesting games such as Middlesex v Surrey and Yorks v Lancs in the 1950s might have seen significant numbers supporting the away team. Friend also suggested Yorks, on a Saturday, at venues such as Chesterfield or Worksop in the 70s might have had an even greater support.

I've been to a lot of sport and we had one hell of a following especially when many wouldn't have made the decision to travel until the afternoon of day 3 once the title was 'on'.

Thoughts?

25 Sep 2016, 21:06 #2

well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?

25 Sep 2016, 21:37 #3

Well I have seen tweeted from somewhere (Lords?) that the overall attendance over the four days was the highest in county cricket since the 60s. Although one stand was closed on Friday, the rest of the ground was pretty full - certainly from mid afternoon. I would have thought 10,000+

25 Sep 2016, 22:41 #4

well were you there peter.

26 Sep 2016, 06:07 #5

I'm slightly disappointed that in the final stages of the season, with only CC games remaining, they couldn't be scheduled to start on a Sunday, as they did earlier in the year.

26 Sep 2016, 06:29 #6

The previous Saturday was the Royal London final so they couldn't start on the Sunday, but why couldn't they do a Thursday to Sunday match?

26 Sep 2016, 07:27 #7

No, i wasn't. had i have been there then i would have less of an idea of the crowd.

i was watching on sky and on friday the official attendance for the day was something like 5850 as announced on sky sports.

can't understand why people's opinions are devalued if watching on tv. You get the best view of close lbw's, runouts stumpings, dodgy catches etc etc. had i been on the ground i would have been asking those watching on tv if bressie should have been given out. it would have been umpires call as just hitting the very top of middle stump....now how many at the ground could tell that?

26 Sep 2016, 07:53 #8

Yes but you were complaining about the size of the crowd. I thought it was great.

26 Sep 2016, 08:08 #9

No, i wasn't. had i have been there then i would have less of an idea of the crowd.

i was watching on sky and on friday the official attendance for the day was something like 5850 as announced on sky sports.

can't understand why people's opinions are devalued if watching on tv. You get the best view of close lbw's, runouts stumpings, dodgy catches etc etc. had i been on the ground i would have been asking those watching on tv if bressie should have been given out. it would have been umpires call as just hitting the very top of middle stump....now how many at the ground could tell that?
Think I saw a tweet saying it was the biggest County Championship attendance at Lords for 50 years.

I was there days 2 and 3 and really enjoyed the game. The period of Sidebottom coming into bat and getting to 350 was the most tense cricket I can remember, the rain delay just added to the tension. I have can never remember before jumping up and punching the air for a bonus batting point.

Like one of the other posters has said I wish the final day was on a Saturday or Sunday but it probably would have got less publicity and got lost in all the football coverage which is what happened to the 50 over final recently.

26 Sep 2016, 08:32 #10

well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?
I think what's being asked is, what would made you Peter, travel down to lords to watch? That's not a dig it's a genuine question.