Travelling support -Lords day 4

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 26th, 2016, 12:46 pm #11

On the subject of travelling support to the CC. I think it would be a good idea to have a new level of membership (Travelling member maybe) which allowed free entry to allow members to watch their own County at away CC matches.

If this was pitched at the right price (e.g £40) then it would be an absolute bargain for some and a worthwhile incentive for others to travel.

If it was done throughout the Championship the £40 levy could be accounted for separately and distributed evenly to all clubs.

Might put a few more bums on those seats!

September 26th, 2016, 4:20 pm #12

I don't think that other counties would agree. Some love it when we visit as they get their best crowd of the season

September 27th, 2016, 7:32 am #13

what would make me travel to Lords?

Well its a matter of what caused me not to travel.

2 things really,

1. it was live on sky
2. cost and distance.

I did look into it. overnight accommodation £120 plus fuel/train fare pushes the cost to over £200 for a maximum of 6 hours cricket. Thats over £65 a session. Not counting peripheral expenses such as parking/tube costs, food, drinks etc.

Having said that, I would probably have gone had it not been live on sky.

Had I been in London anyway, I would certainly have gone. With a population in London of over 7 million, only 6000 bothered to pay a fiver to watch it.....and this was the highest county attendance at lords for 50 years? no wonder the 4 day game is disappearing.

September 27th, 2016, 7:57 am #14

Last time I checked, other teams were available. Slurrey are the obvious ones, but round my way (Lewisham) some people still hold a candle for Kent, and Essex have quite a bit of support in the East. Then factor in all the immigrants from the 16 FC counties which weren't involved in the game, and the inexplicable minority who don't like cricket. I was there, and it was a pretty good turnout - and quite a number of people were showing up straight from work after tea, so I'm not sure if they were counted.

September 27th, 2016, 8:41 am #15

what would make me travel to Lords?

Well its a matter of what caused me not to travel.

2 things really,

1. it was live on sky
2. cost and distance.

I did look into it. overnight accommodation £120 plus fuel/train fare pushes the cost to over £200 for a maximum of 6 hours cricket. Thats over £65 a session. Not counting peripheral expenses such as parking/tube costs, food, drinks etc.

Having said that, I would probably have gone had it not been live on sky.

Had I been in London anyway, I would certainly have gone. With a population in London of over 7 million, only 6000 bothered to pay a fiver to watch it.....and this was the highest county attendance at lords for 50 years? no wonder the 4 day game is disappearing.
I suppose sky can be a double edged sword, in it can stop people from going who otherwise would have travelled to watch it at the ground. Although it was a popular decision on here to have it on sky and many would like more 4 day cricket on tv. If there was more cc televised i wonder how much it would affect attendances?

September 27th, 2016, 9:11 am #16

I watched the game on Sky for the first 3 days and, as soon as we got to 350,and the vital point, made plans for the 4th day at Lords.

Had it not been on Sky I would definitely have gone for the whole 4 day so, yes, televised CC is a double edged sword. The close ups, the sight lines, the replays are better but the atmosphere, tension and camaraderie of a like minded crowd are obvioulsly missing.

Apart from wanting to support the team, and, potentially, see history being made, I don't think I could have tolerated another day of poor commentary and poorer knowledge of the game from Allott. Cork and the rest of his cronies, Rob Key excepted.

September 27th, 2016, 4:59 pm #17

well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?
"well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?"

It became a showdown as of 3pm Thursday, only because Yorkshire had reached the required batting bonus points. Maybe folk were unable to attend because of work commitments and had no realistic chance of wrangling a day off at very short notice?

I'm not sure how anyone can be extremely disappointed about the 6k attendance on Day 4, when most Day 5 test matches around the world struggle to get that many through the gate. This is a testament to the strength of County Championship cricket.

No Pyrah, no party

September 27th, 2016, 5:14 pm #18

Perhaps if the final day had been between two counties in closer proximity the attendance may have been bigger but seeing as Lords had one side closed then any more there and they would have not got in!

September 28th, 2016, 8:58 am #19

Yes, I do not mean to criticize the yorkshire following, which i thought was admirable.

But, really? Middlesex, the top london county had not won the title for 23 years, had a showdown at home, at lords, giving tickets away for a fiver, about the cost of a coffee in london, a bright warm sunny day and less than 5,000 (having deducted the travelling support from G.O.C.) from a city of 7 million turn up.....and we think that is good?

Arsenal get over 50,000 for an hour and half's play with tickets costing £50 a piece, yes i know that is football, but cricket is meant to be the country's number one summer sport.

September 28th, 2016, 9:25 am #20

I think trying to compare cricket to football and you'll always be onto a loser.

When was the last 4 day game that was a sell out in a test match sized ground?