Tour match

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Tour match

November 4th, 2017, 8:35 am #1

Gary Ballance retired at 51 not out batting at 6 so he hasn't done himself any harm. Runs also for Malan and Vince who I suppose he is in direct competition with to bat at 5. Hear they all got a life, Vince got several.

I do hope he gets in the Ashes team so we can know, one way or the other, who he's going to play for most next season.

November 4th, 2017, 10:12 am #2

According to the BBC site there are 13 players in the England team and 12 playing for WA.
Does this count as a first class match?

November 14th, 2017, 8:46 am #3

Gary Ballance retired at 51 not out batting at 6 so he hasn't done himself any harm. Runs also for Malan and Vince who I suppose he is in direct competition with to bat at 5. Hear they all got a life, Vince got several.

I do hope he gets in the Ashes team so we can know, one way or the other, who he's going to play for most next season.
Vince and Malan both picked for the final warm up game at Townsville. It looks like someone has to fail or get a bad injury for Gary Ballance to come into contention for a place in the Ashes.

Sorry for him on a personal level but prefer to have him free to concentrate on his day job.

November 14th, 2017, 9:38 am #4

Other than Anderson coming in for Crane, this will be the team for the first test. It'll be very interesting to see how Overton gets on - I think he might be a very useful fourth seamer on Aus pitches.

November 14th, 2017, 9:38 am #5

If we're just looking at things from a selfish team point of view - I try not to but often fail - I suspect Gary will be around the test squad, whether in the eleven or not, until he gets in and fails again. If he makes a success of the no. 5 spot at some stage, we need another captain. If he is selected and doesn't get runs, I suspect there'll be no more chances however heavily he scores for Yorkshire, and he'll be back with us for good.

November 14th, 2017, 2:10 pm #6

One probable outcome is Ballance gets a token run out in the 4th and/or 5th test against Australia once the Ashes is decided, then starts in the New Zealand tests.

Lets hope Yorkshire are not playing County Championship cricket on the same week as the 2nd New Zealand test. The thought of starting a season with four frontline batsmen and without the regular captain is not a pleasant one, otherwise it will be another disappointing and painful season.
No Pyrah, no party

November 14th, 2017, 6:33 pm #7

The NZ tour ends on 3rd April, the championship season won't start until at least a week later.

November 14th, 2017, 10:50 pm #8

The 2017 County Championship season began on Friday 7th April, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the 2018 season may start on 6th April.

England players won't arrive home until Thursday 5th April at the earliest, even with the shortest route home. Yorkshire can pretty much forget having Ballance (or Root and Bairstow) available for domestic action during that week.

No Ballance and no Overseas signing at the time of writing, lets hope Yorkshire are prepared for such an eventuality rather than reel out the same old excuse from previous years of overall player availability.

No Pyrah, no party

November 15th, 2017, 11:50 am #9

I'm sorry, but I never really understand these criticisms. We seem to sign one overseas after another, often quickly, and often in response to sudden and unexpected losses of those already on the books. Most of us are enthusiastic about the individuals when it happens. Unless we can find someone like Sangakkara, towards the end of his career and surplus to requirements elsewhere, I don't see that we could have done a lot more as far as overseas are concerned. And Sanga types are extremely rare, and I suspect, extremely expensive.

Kolpaks and signings from other counties are a different matter, but this area too is fraught with difficulties.

November 15th, 2017, 12:00 pm #10

I agree - when five or six players are in the mix for England places, it is very difficult to plan. Root and Bairstow are bankers for the foreseeable future, but Ballance returning to the England set up over the summer was a surprise for many. He got injured at the right time - one more failure in a Test Match and he would probably have come back. On the other hand, many thought that Rashid would go to Australia. He didnt. Plunkett could easily have gone, and could have been a substitute when Finn went home but picked up an injury at the wrong time.

How a county is supposed to plan for any of this I have no idea.

On this particular tour match, I notice that Crane didnt pick up any wickets and went at four an over. I have seen nothing so far to suggest that he is an economical version of Rashid, which is what Bayliss seemed to be suggesting.