Toss or no toss

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Toss or no toss

May 5th, 2016, 11:30 am #1

Part of the aim of changing the toss procedure was to improve pitches and bring the spinners more into the game. From a distance, it looks as if that might be paying dividends, even at this early stage. We've had many more draws than usual at this time in the season which, as we have just seen with the cracker at TB, doesn't necessarily mean dull cricket. I'm certain that the English game will start to produce world-class players more regularly if the pitch standards can be maintained.
The champions this season might have won only a handful of times, but there will be plenty of tough battles that will test their/our mettle.

May 5th, 2016, 11:47 am #2

Sorry to disagree Brian, but it appears to me that we are going to get a lot more draws on flat un-responsive batting "roads" then we ever had in previous seasons. Just look at some of the first innings scores this season. TB this week was one of the few exceptions to that rule.

I hope I am wrong, and the weather has ruined a lot of games by taking a lot of time out, but there seems to be a trend so far of very high scoring draws in both Divisions plus 3 double hundreds already.

May 5th, 2016, 11:50 am #3

Perfectly valid point of view, Stuart, and you may be right of course. Time will tell. I'd say bowlers will have to reassess their methods and find ways to get batsmen out on good tracks, and that can only be good for their development.

May 5th, 2016, 12:38 pm #4

Average first innings scores are only 50 runs up from last season, hardly conclusive evidence of these "roads" people are talking about.

Indeed, from what I've read lots of people inside the game think this will be of benefit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36213054

May 5th, 2016, 2:11 pm #5

yes, eyt, but what is the average last year for april?

traditionally at this time of year we get lower scores than average with seamy wickets. can't remember such high scoring in april/early may before

they should go the whole hog and give the visiting team the decision as to whether to bat or not as i suggested 2 years ago

http://www.network54.com/Forum/274761/t ... h+the+toss

May 5th, 2016, 2:34 pm #6

The average up by 50 does not sound much but is quite significant for early season. I am sure that in previous seasons we have not seen any where near the types of score we are getting now and how many years is it since 3 double hundreds (in one case almost a triple hundred) and so many centuries were scored before the end of April.

I hope the situation improves as the weather improves, as it would be catastrophic for the game if every match ended up in a high scoring draw. Lets give it a month or so and see what the situation is after we have had several "full" (384 over) matches. I fear the worse, but hope I am wrong. Could it be that this years champions will take the title with just 2 wins and 14 draws?

May 5th, 2016, 2:58 pm #7

yes, eyt, but what is the average last year for april?

traditionally at this time of year we get lower scores than average with seamy wickets. can't remember such high scoring in april/early may before

they should go the whole hog and give the visiting team the decision as to whether to bat or not as i suggested 2 years ago

http://www.network54.com/Forum/274761/t ... h+the+toss
That is a direct comparison on last year.

Average first innings score after 4 rounds last year was 323, this year it's 373.

May 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm #8

Thanks EYT.

May 5th, 2016, 3:43 pm #9

50 is quite alot in my opinion (if it's maintained). Unless the average first innings run rate has increased too?

Christopher Roger Woakes.

May 5th, 2016, 4:08 pm #10

On average first innings score teams aren't actually getting maximum bonus points.

373 is not a particularly unreasonable score I don't feel. 380 plays 360 plays 280 with 300 to knock off on the final day sounds an ideal scenario to me.

The biggest issue has been the weather. Pitches aren't getting worn out by full days play and the weather has been too cold to really allow spinners to come into their own.

Am sure with an improved forecast, 4 full days of play and good bowling we'll see the results start to turn.

I, for one, am more than happy bowlers like Darren Stevens and Jesse Ryder are no longer seen as a viable threat with the new ball.