TMS this winter

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

TMS this winter

January 10th, 2018, 11:48 am #1

I love TMS. This winter its played away all night as I've dipped in and out of sleep and the commentary. Its the best way to follow the series. The hour long highlights played the following day on Sports extra has also been really good.

I think the team have had a reasonable rather than great series. Some winners and some losers.

The absence of Agnew for the final three tests, when he returned home (although I think this was always the agreement due to his wife's illness) was a blow. Tuffnel I thought was excellent when summarising the first two tests but disappeared after that and again I think the team suffered for his absence. Ed Smith grew on me. Vaughan stayed away from the ladishness I dislike and concentrated on analysing the cricket where he can be very insightful. Alison Mitchell was very good and deserved more time on air, Simon Mann was solid although without the all round skills to fill in for the absent Agnew. Vic Marks I continue to like but he was perhaps a little over shadowed by bigger personalities. Jim Maxwell was solid. All the above are in credit at the end of the series.

We've discussed Geoff B before, enough to say I like him a lot and the team is much better with him on board.

Negatives: Swan I find irritating and Ebony RB was embarrassingly poor. Glen McGrath seemed unclear about his role, and to often attempted to be the Aussie pantomime villain, unfortunately he came across a little humourless.

Andrew Samson on stats is unparalleled.

January 10th, 2018, 12:08 pm #2

I agree with most of that.

Ed Smith was excellent, and Michael Vaughan did indeed stay away from the banter, at which he is useless, and concentrated largely on the cricket, at which he is - obviously - an expert.

The increasingly mellow Boycott was the star turn; and I like Swann, too, who is naturally funny, a great mimic, and wonderful on the subject of spin bowling.

How will history judge Swann's off-spin? Up with Laker and ahead of Illingworth, I would suggest; far better than Emburey and all the others since.

Top 10 English spin bowlers since the war? Any views?
Bowlers win matches

January 10th, 2018, 12:21 pm #3

I love TMS. This winter its played away all night as I've dipped in and out of sleep and the commentary. Its the best way to follow the series. The hour long highlights played the following day on Sports extra has also been really good.

I think the team have had a reasonable rather than great series. Some winners and some losers.

The absence of Agnew for the final three tests, when he returned home (although I think this was always the agreement due to his wife's illness) was a blow. Tuffnel I thought was excellent when summarising the first two tests but disappeared after that and again I think the team suffered for his absence. Ed Smith grew on me. Vaughan stayed away from the ladishness I dislike and concentrated on analysing the cricket where he can be very insightful. Alison Mitchell was very good and deserved more time on air, Simon Mann was solid although without the all round skills to fill in for the absent Agnew. Vic Marks I continue to like but he was perhaps a little over shadowed by bigger personalities. Jim Maxwell was solid. All the above are in credit at the end of the series.

We've discussed Geoff B before, enough to say I like him a lot and the team is much better with him on board.

Negatives: Swan I find irritating and Ebony RB was embarrassingly poor. Glen McGrath seemed unclear about his role, and to often attempted to be the Aussie pantomime villain, unfortunately he came across a little humourless.

i would much rather watch the action than listen, i watch live for the first hour or two, then record the full programme and watch in the morning. i like to fast forward through between overs and delays and breaks. the BT coverage has been good with boycott vaughan and swann and hussey and slater for australia. the only commentary i ca,nt get on with is damien fleming cliche ridden drivel and alison mitchell, just states the obvious everyone can see for themselves.

January 10th, 2018, 1:13 pm #4

I was impressed by I think his name is Henry Moeran who did the 15 minutes summing up at the end of play of the talking points.
Was saying how Test Cricket needs the Ashes to succeed but was far from a classic series.

The stats Andrew Samson comes out with sometimes are quite remarkable. First 50 in 20 years not to include a boundary that sort of thing.

January 10th, 2018, 2:13 pm #5

Top ten spinners?

The shoe-ins: Laker, Wardle, Appleyard. I know I have a thing about Appleyard, but he's too often forgotten. When he and Laker were both fully fit, during Appleyard's great years, we usually picked Appleyard. I think Swann is the next best after those.

Lock I suppose, with question marks over a visibly illegal action. Are we counting Underwood as a spinner? That's what he was selected as.

Then there's the cluster of late fifties, sixties off-spinners, Allen, Titmus, Illingworth. Mortimore not as good? Of the three, Raymond was, I suspect, the least good bowler, but what he brought in other respects outweighs any other contender. I'd always want his brain on the field if possible, and he's the best batsman of them all.

Three more moderns: Emburey, Edmonds, Tufnell. Already standards are slipping, aren't they? Then nothing really except the excellent Swann.

So: Appleyard, Wardle, Laker, Lock, Allen, Titmus, Illingworth, Underwood, Tufnell, Swann.

And who the hell now?

January 10th, 2018, 7:45 pm #6

Too hard picking the top 10 spinners so I'll stick with TMS.

On the commentators side I like Ed Smith and Dan Norcross who seem able to convey how much cricket means to them.

Ali Mitchell and Simon Mann do a decent job but I feel they've been shunted into cricket, not necessarily out of choice.

Jim Maxwell sounds like he's very close to retirement and is looking forward to it.

On the summarisers side I missed Tuffers when he left, Vic Marks is good and Geoffrey is what he is.

Swann is funny but his humour is often snide and at someone else's expense, he's also far too fond of making himself the hero of his own anecdotes.

Ebony Rainford-Brent should stick to T20.

Michael Vaughan was on his best behaviour, but he still changes his opinion twice a day and three times on Sundays.

Glen McGrath was a waste of licence fee payers money.

January 11th, 2018, 8:50 am #7

Idle Man - agree with your list, except for the omission of Panesar. I'd bracket him with Tufnell, better than David Allen and Titmus.

It's difficult to assess Lock. Lock-the-chucker was a match winner; the reformed Lock was still a good bowler. Wardle is clearly class-leader of the SLA, then Lock, Underwood, Panesar, Tufnell, in any order, with Edmonds in there, too, not far behind. Interesting that England often selected Gifford ahead of Underwood; crap selections are not just a modern trend, then.
Bowlers win matches

January 11th, 2018, 8:51 am #8

Anyone else having problems posting on WRF? I wrote a long reply yesterday only to be told to log in, which I did, but my message had been deleted. Then I couldn't access the site at all.
Bowlers win matches

January 11th, 2018, 9:50 am #9

I have to log in fresh every day now, but never had to previously, but ok apart from that.

January 11th, 2018, 12:21 pm #10

The forum does appear to be on a go slow, at least on my computer.

I've lost a few long posts when it seems to log me off and I need to sign in again.

Changing from one thread to another the system often seems to be left 'waiting for a response' for much longer than normal.