Time for Coaching set up to go?

Time for Coaching set up to go?

27 Sep 2017, 17:29 #1

It's the end of a disappointing season now. Your thoughts on what we do for next season and beyond?

27 Sep 2017, 17:36 #2

Would like to see a poll on Gale, how many members on this board want to give him more time and how many want a change. Personally think he needs to go, there are too many rumours that he's nothing more than a mate to the squad. We need a coach who can look at the situation with no sentiment and then address the issues.

27 Sep 2017, 17:47 #3

It's the end of a disappointing season now. Your thoughts on what we do for next season and beyond?
Would be interested to see job specification for "coach" job, qualifications and skills required and personal spec. of current coach.

27 Sep 2017, 17:55 #4

'A quote from Gale yesterday. "When it's Difficult you've got to grind it out, I question if they're willing to grind it out". Send em to the club psychologist Galey'

Quoting your post from the other thread. This and the psychologist reference to me should be kept behind closed doors. Does appear to be someone who has lost the dressing room.

My darling Maxi

27 Sep 2017, 18:35 #5

When Gale was appointed, personally I was slightly underwhelmed given his lack of experience in this kind of role. However I recognised his contribution as a strong and successful captain, and not being party to the dressing room and managerial dynamics I was happy to defer to those that were and for him to be given a chance. Unfortunately after the evidence of a season, I'm struggling to come to any conclusion other than it's not working out.

Performances, plainly, have worsened across all formats. We have suffered some real thrashings in the Championship- 370 runs, 8 wickets, 200 runs, an innings- and have clung on to our division one status only thanks to a couple of freak individual performances sneaking us home in close matches. In the T20, with arguably the strongest squad in the country including 4 current and 3 former internationals available for the whole tournament, we failed to make it out of the group stages, losing every close game we played and generally looking clueless when our only strategy of 'bat first and hope Lyth or Willey comes off' failed. The 50 over was better with runs from Bairstow and Root helping, but we again fell meekly as soon as a knockout game presented itself.

More worryingly for me, only Coad has made significant progress this year, with the rest of the squad either stagnating (Leaning, Hodd) or delivering significantly worse performances than in previous seasons (Lees, Lyth in red ball cricket, Bresnan, Patterson, Brooks). That is an awful lot of proven, successful cricketers to all have a poor season at the same time...

To be clear, these comments do not apply to Gale alone as there have been other changes and departures other than his, but while I truly admire what he and Moxon have done for YCCC I would be quite concerned and disappointed if there are no changes made over the winter. I don't want cricket to get like football when sacking the manager/ coach is seen as the solution to all one's problems, but another season like this is not acceptable for a club like Yorkshire, with the talent available in the dressing room.

(Edit of my amusing autocorrect of 'Moxon' to 'Mixing'...)

27 Sep 2017, 19:04 #6

Well, is he 'nothing more than a mate', or has he 'lost the dressing room? Clearly it's not all as obvious and straightforward as some suggest. I tend to see more sign of the second, I'm afraid. One shouldn't read too much into smallish details but the final two home games saw Gale and his coaching colleagues on the balcony with precious little sign of the players who watched from within or from the pavilion seating above, except for the final tense overs of the Warwickshire game. It was a contrast with the opposition and with the team in previous years.

As far as his future is concerned, we're not a football club, and I tend to think coaches are entitled to a couple of seasons. On the other hand it's difficult to see that there is much of a way back from this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to walk. However he's captained Yorkshire through a genuinely great era, and is entitled to more gratitude and respect than some posters show him. They must have very short memories.

27 Sep 2017, 19:10 #7

I think insufficient credit was given to Jason Gillespie's efforts and influence and too much was given to Andrew Gale's captaincy in recent years. Jason was a visible coach, popular but respected by players and a good communicator. There is plenty of evidence to suggest Gale was not a good leader, was often invisible on the field and certainly not inspirational like many opposing captains. The contrast on the field between Gale and the likes of Paul Collingwood, Steven Rhodes or Chris Read was so clear to observe. However, rather than renewing debate about Gale's captaincy skills, we should ask again about the thinking behind appointing him as coach of a team which clearly would include players with whom he was very close, whereas others were not so well connected. The principal of appointing any retiring player or captain as a coach or manager of the same side, is not usually wise or desirable.
As many of us feared, it has not worked and certainly team performance and fulfilling of expectations has been very disappointing.

27 Sep 2017, 19:58 #8

Sorry Alibor, I actually agree with your comments about internal appointments, but it's a bit unfair to say we should not debate something on which you have just expressed a very strong and completely evidence free opinion. I thought your description of Gale as captain was unrecognisable.

27 Sep 2017, 20:23 #9

I turned again to MM’s report in the brochure presented to the AGM this Spring.

He gives quite a bit of space to the appointment of the new coach. Two points stood out:
He was the one who took the initiative with AG and who urged the board to make him JG’s successor;
That the key factor in the recommendation was that MM could work with him.

Surely it is, therefore, impossible to discuss the future of AG without discussing that of MM also.. If one remains, they should both remain, but if one is to go, the other ought to go also.

27 Sep 2017, 20:37 #10

I actually think AG can be a rather brooding and intense figure rather than being to friendly with the players. I'd suggest the atmosphere he generates is not one conducive to overcoming difficult times. I'm in the 'he's lost the dressing room' camp.

Dizzy was ruthless and had a clear vision, this was undoubtedly a positive but was the main contributory factor in the timing of his departure. The players completely respected him and his qualities. They believed he'd steer them to success. MM and AG completely lack these qualities and the players, I'd suspect, have doubts about them. The players don't think they'll be top of the league, it's a weak coaching team and the players know it, or more accurately knew it soon into the season.

If Dizzy was still in charge, todays debacle would simply have not occurred, the players respected him to much, which tells us a lot.

I cant see how AG and possibly MM can continue.

As an aside was the absence of Bres from the team this week ever explained?