Time for Coaching set up to go?

28 Sep 2017, 13:06 #31

It's the end of a disappointing season now. Your thoughts on what we do for next season and beyond?
I didn't hear anyone at New Road yesterday suggesting that Mitchell was going anywhere fast. I suspect he'll want to put to bed the feeling that he wasn't good enough for Division 1 last time, but he'll almost certainly want to do that at Worcester. On the other hand, Worcestershire members are acutely conscious of the fact that Joe Clarke's contract is up at the end of next season. Some of them see staying up as an essential part of retaining his services.
The oddest rumour I heard yesterday was that Andy Hodd was retiring at the end of the season. This came from a well-connected Gloucestershire member, but seemed to have no source.

28 Sep 2017, 13:29 #32

It's the end of a disappointing season now. Your thoughts on what we do for next season and beyond?
Interesting from Brooks. Sidebottom is our best bowling coach (better than JG)

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/155547 ... hing_role/

28 Sep 2017, 15:21 #33

He was dropped.

'On Yorkshire's selection for this match, Gale said: "A spinner has to play and Brez hasn't performed to the best of his abilrsity this year. He knows that. Matthew Fisher came in last week and looked the part with both bat and ball'.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricke ... ne_safety/

Interesting that the Yorkshire think tank decided to drop Bresnan who was under-performing, which is fair enough.

But why wasn't a like for like replacement being considered, particularly Will Rhodes? If spin was going to be part of the game plan, there was no need for Yorkshire to go with four frontline seamers and Karl Carver certainly would have bowled more often and before the 58th over of the 1st innings.

Will Rhodes batting at six, with Hodd at seven would have given the top 5 batsmen reassurance in the event of losing a few wickets early doors whilst maintaining a relatively healthy looking bowling attack. Instead the top 5 batsmen felt like rabbits caught in headlights, knowing that one of them faced the prospect of having to farm the strike at five wickets down, hence why Yorkshire batted like they did in this match.

Quite simply this is poor game management by the think-tank, who remained stubborn by freezing out an outbound player to an already relegated Warwickshire team where his services could have made a difference.
No Pyrah, no party

28 Sep 2017, 16:50 #34

Sorry, are you suggesting Rhodes should have played instead of Bresnan, but no room for Carver, or that another seamer should have dropped out too?

I'd have picked Bresnan ahead of Rhodes.

28 Sep 2017, 17:08 #35

I'd forgotten what a great player he was and how valuable his mountain of runs and frighteningly fast bowling had been!

We did finish fourth, I know it was only a couple of points but that's what it says in the record book.

I would hope that Gale has been given a couple of seasons and that he has learned something from this season and becomes a better coach moving on.

28 Sep 2017, 17:44 #36

Dont think about how much it will cost, think about how much it will save...

Pay a good Kolpack who keeps in the first division, contributing in one day matches as well....attendances stay the same, or increase, prize money may increase, YCCC can attract top names

Dont pay a good Kolpack, save on wages, but team continues to perform badly, gets relegated, attendances fall, sponsorship falls, prize money falls, influence of YCCC falls, potential loss of test matches as club cannot afford to improve ground nor keep up on the loan payments, players leave as per Durham....need i go on ?

28 Sep 2017, 17:44 #37

To answer the original question, we have just finished in the top half of league one. We're not Chelsea FC so why would we sack the coach.

Last year's champions have just been relegated, time for a little perspective from a hugely negative and critical YCC cricket forum!
I could be wrong, I could be right

28 Sep 2017, 17:48 #38

We stayed up by 2 points, hardly see been in top half of this league any sort of achievement, do you seriously have faith in Gale to turn this mess around

28 Sep 2017, 18:39 #39

People talk about the need to bring in an experienced coach, but who is guaranteed to succeed!

I remember Middlesex making a big deal of the T20 this year, they imported an experienced coach, Daniel Vettori, who also coaches the Brisbane Heat in the BBL and RCB in the IPL.

With Brendan Mccullum, Tim Southee, Eoin Morgan and others, you could argue they had a stronger team than we did, but they got nowhere near qualifying for finals day.

If it was possible to guarantee success I'd say go for it.

28 Sep 2017, 20:28 #40

I've seen a lot of 1st and 2nd team cricket this season. We've looked unhappy. Every (?) player has under performed. We need new ideas and NOT new players.

Probably time for AG and RP to leave. I've no realistic suggestions about replacements.