Third test at Mohali

Third test at Mohali

25 Nov 2016, 08:38 #1

It has been confirmed that Jos Buttler will replace Ben Duckett. That's the bad news. Ali to bat at 4 and Bairstow at 5 seems to be rather better news.

Read a piece by the batting coach Mark Ramprakash warning people not to expect too much of Buttler.

I'm certainly not expecting very much but I know he has his supporters. It feels more like a case of we don't think he will be any good, but we don't have many options, and besides people won't get off our backs until we do play him.

Oh and no Broad either, Cook seems in some doubt about the pitch. Looks like a turner but history says seamer. Should be an interesting 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38101943

25 Nov 2016, 09:06 #2

Big fan of Buttler but I do agree, much like Jonny Bairstow in white ball cricket, he needs to find the right tempo to his batting in red ball cricket. Their respective records should be much better in the opposite formats to which they currently excel.
However, unless we win the toss, I don't think it matters much who we pick in all honesty.

25 Nov 2016, 09:25 #3

Has anything been said about who is going to keep wicket? I can't see Buttler as a worthwhile long term prospect as a batsman - does anyone really think he's one of the best six first class English batsmen? So if this is a stopgap unsettling the established keeper seems wrong. On the other hand there seems to be a view that Buttler is the better keeper. If he is, it's by a minimal margin. Only argument I can think of for a change is that I suspect Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder.

25 Nov 2016, 09:36 #4

Yes, Bairstow is keeping wicket.

"Only argument I can think of for a change is that I suspect Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder."

On what basis do you "suspect" Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder?

25 Nov 2016, 09:37 #5

Has anything been said about who is going to keep wicket? I can't see Buttler as a worthwhile long term prospect as a batsman - does anyone really think he's one of the best six first class English batsmen? So if this is a stopgap unsettling the established keeper seems wrong. On the other hand there seems to be a view that Buttler is the better keeper. If he is, it's by a minimal margin. Only argument I can think of for a change is that I suspect Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder.
Bairstow will keep wicket. This is no longer an issue.

It might become and issue at some later stage but he's building up lots of credit on the keeping side. It would take a disastrous run of misfortunes to get the gloves off him now.

25 Nov 2016, 09:42 #6

Jonny's fielding? Better than most regular outfielders, from what we saw at Yorkshire. Never seen Buttler without gloves, but would be surprised if he's anywhere near as good.

Glad Jonny's still keeping, but really the only basis on which Buttler should play for England in tests is as a keeper batsman.

25 Nov 2016, 10:27 #7

no other batting options out there Duckett had to be taken out of the firing line & Ballance's game looks a mess so Buttler had to play, no reason to take the gloves other Bairstow his keeping is improving, would like to see him batting higher than seven though

25 Nov 2016, 10:28 #8

No other options are there?

But wouldn't expect too much support for Buttler on this forum. Seen posts in the past suggesting he would be behind Rhodes in the Yorkshire pecking order!
My darling Maxi

25 Nov 2016, 10:39 #9

I wouldn't go as far as below Rhodes, but if everyone was available, including an overseas, he would struggle to get in my Yorkshire team. I might play him as keeper at no 7/8, and here we are with him in the England side as a batsman.

The 'anti-Buttler' position on the forum seems quite clear to me. No-one is challenging his status as a one day player, but he's done nothing to suggest test standard in first-class cricket.

25 Nov 2016, 10:54 #10

The problem England face is that two players Ballance and Duckett, cannot be considered due to form and confidence. Buttler is the last resort as the only batsman who has not been tried yet. His heroics in the short form give him a leg up. His first class record is poor for a top six batsman - compares poorly to Rashid for example both in terms of average and centuries scored.