Third test at Mohali

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

November 25th, 2016, 10:57 am #11

I wouldn't go as far as below Rhodes, but if everyone was available, including an overseas, he would struggle to get in my Yorkshire team. I might play him as keeper at no 7/8, and here we are with him in the England side as a batsman.

The 'anti-Buttler' position on the forum seems quite clear to me. No-one is challenging his status as a one day player, but he's done nothing to suggest test standard in first-class cricket.
You do realise Buttler wasn't selected to be in the squad as one of the best six batsmen in the country?

Call for TKC..

November 25th, 2016, 10:58 am #12

The problem England face is that two players Ballance and Duckett, cannot be considered due to form and confidence. Buttler is the last resort as the only batsman who has not been tried yet. His heroics in the short form give him a leg up. His first class record is poor for a top six batsman - compares poorly to Rashid for example both in terms of average and centuries scored.
But he's batting at 7.

November 25th, 2016, 12:05 pm #13

You do realise Buttler wasn't selected to be in the squad as one of the best six batsmen in the country?
What's he been selected for? He's not going to keep, and I wouldn't imagine he's going to bowl much. Therefore, whatever no. he goes in, he's been selected for his batting, which isn't up to standard. It's not his fault. He's the reserve wk. He is in as a batsman because they chose one player whose recent form makes his selection absurd, and another who, for all his potential, has no pedigree as a batsman at this level, particularly against this form of attack.

November 25th, 2016, 12:16 pm #14

I wish Buttler all the best for tomorrow, and truly hope he serves up some humble pie for some folk. Surely he can't do any worse with the bat than Duckett, Ballance, Vince, Compton etc.

November 25th, 2016, 12:18 pm #15

What's he been selected for? He's not going to keep, and I wouldn't imagine he's going to bowl much. Therefore, whatever no. he goes in, he's been selected for his batting, which isn't up to standard. It's not his fault. He's the reserve wk. He is in as a batsman because they chose one player whose recent form makes his selection absurd, and another who, for all his potential, has no pedigree as a batsman at this level, particularly against this form of attack.
Buttler was selected for the squad as back up keeper. The batsmen available have struggled, Buttler is the next best option in the squad.

Questioning the original squad selection is a different matter.
Call for TKC..

November 25th, 2016, 12:44 pm #16

I wish Buttler all the best for tomorrow, and truly hope he serves up some humble pie for some folk. Surely he can't do any worse with the bat than Duckett, Ballance, Vince, Compton etc.
Not person who has said Buttler shouldn't be in the team or that he doesn't justify his inclusion etc has yet given a name of who should replace him.

November 25th, 2016, 1:01 pm #17

Duckett or Ballance should replace him. Or rather, not be replaced by him.

November 25th, 2016, 1:01 pm #18

Not person who has said Buttler shouldn't be in the team or that he doesn't justify his inclusion etc has yet given a name of who should replace him.
Indeed we haven't. That's because we've managed to get into a situation where the options are Buttler, Duckett, and Ballance. That's not a choice, it's a dilemma.

Given that situation I'd probably go with Duckett. I'm not in favour of picking someone for a couple of tests and then dropping them.

November 25th, 2016, 1:04 pm #19

Three votes for Duckett then if we include Ashwin.
Call for TKC..

November 25th, 2016, 7:45 pm #20

Well at least common sense has prevailed and Bairstow has been pushed up the order so he has less chance of being stranded not out.

Duckett or Ballance or Buttler?

Another option could have been to play Woakes at 7 with Adil at 8 and Ansari 9 and then Broad and Anderson. But injuries to Ansari and Broad mean less talented batsmen like Finn, Ball and Batty would have had to come into contention and the tail may have been too long.

If Buttler only has his batting to think about then it will be interesting to see his approach. I think it's the best of the options available unless Ramprakash has his kit with him