The Squad - moving forward

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

August 8th, 2017, 8:32 pm #21

First message on this forum here but I've been gone from frustration to pure anger over the pathetic attempts at a performance this season.

I think the issues we are talking about have been going on for the past two years now and these collapses are not new they have become frequent over the two seasons and highlight our major flaws.

• gale and moxon need to go we need fresh voices
• lack of a decent consistent oversees run machine since Jaques/Rudolph
• kolpac players are the only option ( number 3 or opener and an opening bowler desperate)
• Ageing players need replacing Brooks, sidebottom, Bresnan and plunkett (injuries and England One day)
• find a wicketkeeper who contributes (foakes, butler, Davies come to mind)
• offer silverwood and McGrath the job

Looking from the outside I do believe we should abandon this year and pick two of the best young batsmen/keeper and get them in at number 5 and 6. Take the pressure off then shield them from the new ball. Relegation should be embraced looking at the pathetic inept performances.

I'd go for (rest of the season)

Lyth
Lees (4 games to save his career for me)
Marsh (potential for next year)
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Keeper from academy (can't be worse than hodd)
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
If,say, Harry Brook scored two slowly crafted centuries in the CC, no-one would argue that he should be in the t20 side. Why do Willey's admittedly excellent knocks in the t20 mean he could have laid a bat on Amir in the Championship? I know, neither did most of the others.

I suspect the management feel they've been here before. They picked Willey to some extent as a batsman at Lord's last September, and he was a disaster.

August 8th, 2017, 8:33 pm #22

First message on this forum here but I've been gone from frustration to pure anger over the pathetic attempts at a performance this season.

I think the issues we are talking about have been going on for the past two years now and these collapses are not new they have become frequent over the two seasons and highlight our major flaws.

• kolpac players are the only option ( number 3 or opener and an opening bowler desperate)
• Ageing players need replacing Brooks, sidebottom, Bresnan and plunkett (injuries and England One day)

Looking from the outside I do believe we should abandon this year and pick two of the best young batsmen/keeper and get them in at number 5 and 6. Take the pressure off then shield them from the new ball. Relegation should be embraced looking at the pathetic inept performances.

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
regarding the recent clamour for david willey to be selected for championship cricket, whenever i have watched him he has been totally out of his depth in red ball cricket.

August 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm #23

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
I can see Willey leaving us. He came here to improve in the longer format of the game and he's written off over a few games yet God forbid we slate a Yorkshire born player. Which half of them have been shocking for the last 18 months
Poor man’s Tim Bresnan

August 8th, 2017, 9:00 pm #24

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
If they had been 'shocking' for the last 18 months then surely Willey would have broken through and maintained a place in he red ball team.

He hasn't and that's nothing to do with his place of origin.

August 8th, 2017, 9:07 pm #25

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
How many consecutive CC matches has he played? Give him a run.

This 8th seamer nonsense needs putting to bed.
Christopher Roger Woakes.

August 8th, 2017, 9:17 pm #26

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
Good point Dwight .

Without checking I wonder how many he has been available for with his squad call ups and the clash with 4 day games along with the schedule meaning he may have been available when there were no matches being played?

August 8th, 2017, 9:28 pm #27

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
David Willey is a bowler who can bat a bit in anything other than white ball cricket.

In the CC he would ideally play as the 4th seamer, in the team instead of Bresnan. Probably justified on Bresnan's current form, but not really possible as long as he is acting as Captain.

Willey hasn't been given much of a chance yet. It might be sage judgement by the coaching staff, but of course we all have differing views on just how sage the coaching staff are.

If it was up to me I'd play him for the rest of the season instead of Sidebottom, bowling first change and coming in to bat after Rashid but before Hodd.

It wouldn't be ideal I admit, but much as I like him and am grateful to him, I didn't enjoy watching Sidebottom trundling up to bowl on Sunday.

August 8th, 2017, 9:34 pm #28

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
Why is it nonsense? The 7 above him are, in my view, Sidebottom, Coad, Brooks, Patterson, Bresnan, Plunkett, and Fisher. Most of them are clearly superior. There are none where describing them as better than Willey is 'nonsense'. Even in white ball games, which I haven't seen, I'm told he's lost some of his ability to swing it. The balls may be more to blame than the bowler.

Which leaves us with his batting. Like Rhodes, given a spell at no 6 or 7, he might establish himself, but as another poster has said, he's done nothing to suggest it's likely. Those of us who watch the CC side regularly are I think more inclined to feel he has been at times selected generously (for instance in my view Plunkett would have been the better pick at Lord's last year) rather than left out unfairly.

He may indeed leave. That would be sad, but not unpredictable. The original aims were too different. He wanted to develop or be developed into a first class all rounder pushing for a test place. We wanted a t20 match winner. There was always a fair chance it would end unhappily.

In my view, the 'nonsense' was the idea that he could step into Ryan's shoes. Love to be proved wrong, but I can see no sign of it whatsoever. He might replace Bresnan, but you couldn't yet justify that.

August 8th, 2017, 9:40 pm #29

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
Plunkett should have played ahead of Gale at Lord's, but that's a different debate.

You've had it in for Willey since day one. I suspect he's going to have you lobbing down humble pie between now and the end of the season. We will see..
Christopher Roger Woakes.

August 8th, 2017, 9:55 pm #30

Lyth
Ballance
Brook
Cadmore or callis
Willey
Rashid
Coad
Fisher

Nothing to lose now
I think Willey deserves the remaining 4 games to show us what he can do. Nobody else apart from coad has offered anything so we need to try something new because right now we are going down without a fight and are tumbling towards div 2. Main priority next season tho is finding two batsmen to get 1000+ runs and for me the only place to get them will be as a kolpac and hopefully in the form of Marsh