The most likeable cricketer

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

November 22nd, 2017, 9:09 am #11

Just to redress the balance. I nominate Derek Randall and our own Joe Root.
I remember after he ended his England days Arkle fielding on the boundary at Headingley cheerfully slagging off David Gower'e propensity for getting caught behind.
Always liked Colin Milburn, being of a similar size to the big man
Formerly known as Egham Tyke :-)

November 22nd, 2017, 10:00 am #12

I remember after he ended his England days Arkle fielding on the boundary at Headingley cheerfully slagging off David Gower'e propensity for getting caught behind.
I'm shocked (shocked, I tell you) that we're almost a page in and haven't mentioned Bres.

YJB (and father) I second.

I always had an inexplicable thing for Matt Wood.

November 22nd, 2017, 10:42 am #13

This sits much more comfortably than the alternative thread - most cricketers are essentially likeable. You get the chance to chat with players and coaches at 2nd XI matches, not often at 1st team.

I must second the praise for Deon Kruis. I stood next to him at the bookstall, and his politeness and obvious respect for Geoff and Viv was lovely to see.
Bowlers win matches

November 22nd, 2017, 11:11 am #14

I rather like Ed Smith and think him a very interesting and thoughtful individual.

Stevo always made me smile. And I liked very much Bluey's fighting spirit.

November 22nd, 2017, 11:21 am #15

Malcolm Marshall was pro for Denton in my league - thankfully, after I had dropped down to 2nd XI - but those who played against him were full of praise for a lovely man, not a bully at all, and a fantastic ambassador for W Indies cricket.
Bowlers win matches

November 22nd, 2017, 12:04 pm #16

A couple of memories from growing up watching Lancashire League cricket:

Joel Garner playing with the children on the outfield - they were clambering all over him, and he was holding his arms out straight so that they could swing on them (immensely strong too!)

Viv Richards - best batsman in the world, but he was just one of the lads, no front on him at all. Contrast to Azharuddin a year or 2 later who wouldn't live locally or get involved outside matches.

The best pros were always the ones who got involved in the local community, not just the cricket - although Shane Warne took that a bit far if some of the kiss-and-tell stories in the tabloids are to be believed!

November 22nd, 2017, 1:35 pm #17

I'm pleased to see Dwight has got Stuart Broad (not an ironic selection, I hope) because so many others have slagged him off, along with grumpy Anderson and crazy Stokes.

Do we want our cricketers to be real people? Or cardboard cut-outs? I've met some southerners who would go red with fury at the mention of Brian Close, or that 'bolshie' Raymond Illingworth. Didn't know their place, you know.
Bowlers win matches

November 22nd, 2017, 2:32 pm #18

Quite right too Dave.

Stuart Broad is one of my favourite cricketers and an all time England great.

I find it amusing that Ryan is described as a whole hearted cricketer in this thread yet Broad, Anderson etc are described as petulant in another. I suspect the difference between whole hearted and petulant depends on which county the represent.

November 22nd, 2017, 3:53 pm #19

It was a genuine selection, he's great.
Call for TKC..

November 22nd, 2017, 3:58 pm #20

Interesting mention of Hadlee. It is hard not to respect him as a cricketer. A supreme professional. Almost a robot. Not sure I would call him likeable though - he certainly wasn't liked by some of his team mates!