The Lehmann-Blewitt scale

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

The Lehmann-Blewitt scale

July 28th, 2017, 10:08 am #1

Taking the Celsius temperature scale as my template, I announce a scale for judging Yorkshire's overseas players.

On this scale, (Darren) Lehmann would score 100, which is not a maximum, it's possible to score more, though I can't think of anyone who has, except perhaps Dizzy, as coach. Blewitt would be freezing at zero; Yuvraj Singh I would rate at minus 30, Maxwell below zero, also.

Where would we place Handscomb, now his term is almost over? I would suggest a tepid 15, just a bit warmer than the sea at Scarborough. A pity, because he promised better than that. Perhaps his brilliant stumping against Durham raises him a few degrees?
Bowlers win matches

July 28th, 2017, 11:52 am #2

Think you are being harsh on Maxwell having him below zero, he was involved in a game changing partnership in a key game at Scarborough & did ok in the 50 over competition, only one decent knock in the t20 but that can happen, brilliant fielder too

If you are judging Handscomb on the same basis I'd have him below Maxwell, couple of 70's & a 100 in a dead game is all we've really had from him

July 28th, 2017, 11:58 am #3

Taking the Celsius temperature scale as my template, I announce a scale for judging Yorkshire's overseas players.

On this scale, (Darren) Lehmann would score 100, which is not a maximum, it's possible to score more, though I can't think of anyone who has, except perhaps Dizzy, as coach. Blewitt would be freezing at zero; Yuvraj Singh I would rate at minus 30, Maxwell below zero, also.

Where would we place Handscomb, now his term is almost over? I would suggest a tepid 15, just a bit warmer than the sea at Scarborough. A pity, because he promised better than that. Perhaps his brilliant stumping against Durham raises him a few degrees?
The big question is where do we rate Imran Tahir?

July 28th, 2017, 12:40 pm #4

The Big Show..

T20 batting average 21, SR 155. 12 wickets at 22 also. Expected better but hardly terrible.

50 over he was very good.

CC he wasn't expected to play yet produced one of the best knocks of the season at Scarborough. Also crucial runs at the end of the nervy chase against Middlesex.

I think Glenn must have been docked plenty of degrees for that serious crime of turning up 5 mins late to a 2nd XI match!
Call for TKC..

July 28th, 2017, 6:06 pm #5

Tahir, Yuvraj, Inzaman at the bottom.

Lehmann at the top followed by Martyn, Williamson, Pujara & Bevan.

The rest somewhere in the middle, but this seasons two a lot nearer the bottom than the top. Not impressed by either of the Aussies so far.

July 28th, 2017, 6:53 pm #6

And Tendulkar?

1070 runs in the Championship in his debut season at the age of 19; and playing on a different continent and in conditions he had never seen before.

464 runs in the Sunday League at an average of 38.66, with one never to be forgotten century.

I think I would put him alongside, the often forgotten, Phil Jacques; well ahead of the middle table pack, behind Lehmann, Martyn and Bevan, but pretty close to Williamson. Certainly, as good as Pujara.

July 28th, 2017, 9:29 pm #7

We joked that it took Yorkshire about a week to turn the world's best T20 batsman (Maxwell) into a typical prodder. But as has been pointed out he did alright in everything but the T20.

July 29th, 2017, 6:27 am #8

An honourable mention for Jaques Rudolph.
The circumstances of his departure were hard to accept, but his team contribution over a number of years, in all competitions was excellent.

July 29th, 2017, 8:49 am #9

What about Miller and Starc? Both would score highly on my chart
I could be wrong, I could be right

July 29th, 2017, 8:53 am #10

Lehmann top, Bevan second, then daylight. Rudolph wasn't officially an overseas player in this first spell - good player but one of the most indecisive people alive!