The Fab Four

13 Apr 2017, 20:11 #11

With this season been the last we'll see of Patto, Bres,Brooks and Siddy bowling together. What's been your favourite memory? For me the first season we won the championship. The whole season the bowlers were a joy to watch as were the rest of team. Ryan will be sorely missed and I fear for Patto perhaps being found out.
I don't think it was Patto who was found out but the whole of the team....

Loved watching them rattle through Warwickshire at Headingley last summer

13 Apr 2017, 21:54 #12

With this season been the last we'll see of Patto, Bres,Brooks and Siddy bowling together. What's been your favourite memory? For me the first season we won the championship. The whole season the bowlers were a joy to watch as were the rest of team. Ryan will be sorely missed and I fear for Patto perhaps being found out.
Pyrahtechnics' post is an example of why cricket is such a great game. It's perfectly sensible but on balance I disagree with most of it. I don't think Plunkett manages to extract life from dead wickets, though he's lethal with a bit of pace and bounce, as against Durham at Scarborough in 2015. As for Lord's last year I thought we were dead by the time the tailenders were in. For me it was the early batsmen who went after it too quickly. And we should never have made the 'neither side will play for a draw' agreement. Without it, Middlesex would have had to keep us in the hunt to win. As it was they could go on the defensive and wait for us to commit suicide in the second half of the innings.

13 Apr 2017, 22:02 #13

Plunkett's 10 wickets in 8 Championship games last season are another reason why he didn't play at Lords.

13 Apr 2017, 22:31 #14

I would never (okay, never say never) play Plunkett ahead of Patterson...but I might play Coad ahead of Patto. If we had a Raymond Illingworth in the side, the NLOP club would never have been born, but you have to have SOMEONE who gives the captain control.

You also have to have someone who can take wickets, and that is Jack Brooks and Adil (the 5th member of the Fab 4).

Sidebottom gives you a bit of both, but he can't bowl 25 overs in a day any more. Brezzy performed the Patto role for England when we won the Ashes in Oz, but he can't do that any more, either.

I thought Plunkett way down on speed all last season. I suspect that he played when only 70% fit, because we were missing others who were even more injured. Let's hope he comes roaring back at 90mph and gives us an extra dimension, in a week or two.
Bowlers win matches

14 Apr 2017, 06:18 #15

Idle Man has got it absolutely right about Lord's last year. Most of the YCCC supporters near me on the last day felt we had been taken for mugs by Middlesex. (Sorry - slightly off topic!)

14 Apr 2017, 07:46 #16

Still off topic, I was in Greece and didn't find out the score until after it was all over, and I thought so too!

I keep asking people why we fed Middlesex runs. After all, if they wanted to win the CC they HAD to score them. The 240 off 40 seemed a 'fair' target, but couldn't it have been much better for us?

As I say, I wasn't there, I wasn't watching on TV or even listening to Cally. Perhaps it felt right at the time? It has also been suggested that Gale and Franklin both despised Somerset, so losing was better than letting them win it.

And we achieved that.
Bowlers win matches

14 Apr 2017, 08:13 #17

It didn't feel right to me and others who were there.....No fielding restrictions, a dead wicket, no Root, Bairstow or Rashid, facing a quality attack, an agreement which took the draw out of the equation.........many of us felt we gifted it to Middlesex.

14 Apr 2017, 11:16 #18

With Gale running off teh pitch after every over looking to be increasingly desperate to make any kind of a deal, I reckon Middlesex played him like a fiddle and made him look an absolute mug.

14 Apr 2017, 13:04 #19

And incidentally, the 'no draw whatever' arrangement was very unfair on Somerset.

14 May 2017, 19:33 #20

Bowling selection for the Roses County Championship at Old Trafford will be interesting now that Sidebottom and Brooks recently played in a 2nd XI fixture against Warwickshire.

You would think Coad has nailed his place in the starting XI, while Brooks and Sidebottom are a shoo in to start. Bresnan taking 9 wickets at an average of 29.11 and Patto taking 4 wickets at an average of 50.5 pretty much decides the 4th seamers slot.
No Pyrah, no party