Taunton

02 Dec 2016, 21:11 #11

When it gets closer if the forecast is iffy you can ask for suggestions of things to do in Taunton when it's wet. I seem to remember spending a lot of time in pubs with bowling alleys attached when I worked down that way.

Your a lot better off than at the Ageas Bowl anyway as you're slap in the middle of town. At that time of year shorts and sunhat must be favorite.

Hope to get down for a couple of days now the pitch seems to allow for a positive result.

02 Dec 2016, 23:32 #12

I spent a rainy morning taking photographs in the Quantocks - beautiful. Then there's Wells, with its wonderful cathedral, and Glastonbury; and Dunster Castle, near Minehead, in the north.

I am thinking of watching Lancs v Somerset at Old Trafford, rather than go down to the rainy and VERY expensive Ageas Bowl again (something like £26 admission and £8 to park, from memory. Per DAY!)

I usually find hotels via Booking.com where there's often a free cancellation facility until only a day or so before your trip. I feel a bit uneasy about using it, but I suppose you pay a bit over the odds to compensate, and it does give you a chance to consult the weather forecast.

24 Jan 2017, 10:00 #13

After a couple of days trying have finally found a B&B to stay in. Am not a fan of Premier Inns especially at week ends. So now looking forward to my first visit to Somerset. Am currently looking for somewhere in Worcester for the one day game. Anyone know anywhere please.

24 Jan 2017, 11:14 #14

I am also planning to visit Worcester for the One Day game in May, I hope the Ladies Pavilion will be serving the usual home made cakes.
Might be a bit of a bind on the train but hoping to make it there and back in a day. (I might think differently when I see the train fares).
Anyway I have stopped here once before in Worcester: http://osborne-house.co.uk/
Was a nice place at a decent price about 15 mins walk from the train station.

24 Jan 2017, 12:15 #15

Thanks Matt I'll have a look at it, appreciated

24 Jan 2017, 15:44 #16

After a couple of days trying have finally found a B&B to stay in. Am not a fan of Premier Inns especially at week ends. So now looking forward to my first visit to Somerset. Am currently looking for somewhere in Worcester for the one day game. Anyone know anywhere please.
Hi Phil,
I have stayed at the Fownes Hotel a couple of times,15-20 min.walk from ground and railway station.Tel01905613151

24 Jan 2017, 15:48 #17

Depends on your budget but i can recommend The Diglis House Hotel if you want to spoil yourself.
http://www.diglishousehotel.co.uk/

If you're a fan of John Arlott's books you will know that he used to stay there.
Includes one of the nicest walks to any cricket ground in the World.....

24 Jan 2017, 16:20 #18

Cheers Steve that ticks a lot of boxes & is doable on our budget. Managed to book Taunton & Worcester today so just need to sort Manchester out stayed at The Premier Inn last year but felt it was very hit & miss but if push comes to shove it's always there.

24 Jan 2017, 18:16 #19

At the opposite extreme to the Diglis - what about the Holiday Inn at Media City..?
Its a bit flashy - fifteen minute walk from the ground - with a nice restaurant and has the added bonus that you'll almost certainly see some TV types wandering around.
Jeremy Kyle seems to spend most of his afternoons in the bar and at the moment they'r filming both The Voice and Let It Shine..
Heart Apartments are nice if you're coming for all four days.
(Actually most of those are reasons NOT to stay there...)

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/g ... m-rates_hi

http://www.theheartapartments.co.uk/gal ... fault.aspx

25 Jan 2017, 09:20 #20

Once again cheers Steve. Will get the wife to look at the HI later. Just a thought there must be loads of people like me who intend following Yorkshire but are relatively new to the away side of things. I managed to see the county 25 times last season & intend to go a lot more this year. What about a sticky or something similar with people's advice on where recommend to stay both budget & a little more upmarket & eateries they recommend. Just a thought.