T20 from 2020

T20 from 2020

08 Feb 2017, 21:03 #1

Lots of stuff in The Times today. Lizie Ammon (Legside Lizzie on twitter)seems to be the one with the exclusive.

The Times online is behind a pay wall but its free (printed version) in your local library.

Key point:

Starts in 2020 but needs sorting now to sell TV/Media rights (approx 8 to 10 games in free to air TV)

8 teams - regionally based, not necessarily 'city' based

Comp is inaddition to county based T20 which will be over and done early season)

Squads of 15 including 3 o/s per team

Draft of all first class players so our players likely to end up everywhere

Value of players set independently with equal 'spend' per team in the draft - think fantasy league

Mid July start lasting for 38 days.

Test players NOT involved as tests will clash with T20 comp

50 over county comp at same time to occupy non selected players and members who prefer to watch their county

Teams likely to use more than one venue for min of four home games to broaden fan engagement

Players CAN play for local side, initial idea was that for example the Yorkshire players could NOT play for a Leeds based team

Teams run by local county clubs eg East midlands team will be organised by Notts, Leicester and Derby. County coaches and support staff expected to be released to work with these teams rather than the counties.

38 matches - top 4 from league of 8 into a Rugby league style play off with elimination and qualifying finals etc to find a final two.

Thoughts?

09 Feb 2017, 08:37 #2

Here we go again. This will effectively kill off 50 over cricket (as the better players wouldn'y play in the competition) & I'll put money on them using it to cut more matches from the championship. The ECB will only be happy when they've killed off the county game, after which England will start moaning there's no cricketers with experience in playing long innings.

09 Feb 2017, 08:58 #3

Crazy!! The ECB are marginalising the county game. The "city" based comp gets the "prime season" slot and the 50 over comp runs along side it with very few players left, after England calls and the IPL type auction taking all the better players.

Thin edge of the wedge for the county game, and we are diluting the potential audience by having two competitions running simultaneously.

09 Feb 2017, 09:15 #4

Lots of stuff in The Times today. Lizie Ammon (Legside Lizzie on twitter)seems to be the one with the exclusive.

The Times online is behind a pay wall but its free (printed version) in your local library.

Key point:

Starts in 2020 but needs sorting now to sell TV/Media rights (approx 8 to 10 games in free to air TV)

Comp is inaddition to county based T20 which will be over and done early season)

Value of players set independently with equal 'spend' per team in the draft - think fantasy league

50 over county comp at same time to occupy non selected players and members who prefer to watch their county

Teams likely to use more than one venue for min of four home games to broaden fan engagement

Players CAN play for local side, initial idea was that for example the Yorkshire players could NOT play for a Leeds based team

Teams run by local county clubs eg East midlands team will be organised by Notts, Leicester and Derby. County coaches and support staff expected to be released to work with these teams rather than the counties.

38 matches - top 4 from league of 8 into a Rugby league style play off with elimination and qualifying finals etc to find a final two.

Thoughts?
Lot of sorting out to do.

Not least finding large enough venues in order to 'broaden fan engagement'.

As it's a stand alone competition I think I can now get my head around someone from the Yorkshire team playing for the 'Bristol bombers'.

They will need some big sponsors willing to put their hands in their pockets to keep the entrance fees down and encourage the family audience, at least for the first few years.

You also need big names to attract the fans. Unfortunately cricket has rarely been shorter of big names.

Taking the likes of Root, Stokes, Ali out of the equation as Test players, you might be relying on some ageing T20 cowboys.

I personally think they have missed the boat but they seem intent on trying.

If it does get off the ground I may be looking to corner the market in fur lined, water resistant poncho's and get myself a trading license.

09 Feb 2017, 13:01 #5

If the report is correct and there are only 38 matches, some teams will have only three home matches if they fail to qualify from the round robin.
However, I don’t believe the objective is to build a new fan base for the regional teams. I think their market research has told them that people mildly interested in cricket only go to two or three matches per season and they cherry pick the best games. (That includes anything televised).
The new competition will be a made for TV product. Good for Sky, the players who make the cut into the regional teams, TV viewers, ECB coffers and possibly grass roots cricket if some of the extra revenue makes its way down to clubs.
From the viewpoint of forum members, by definition dyed in the wool YCCC supporters, the amended proposals are an improvement. There will be some 50 overs cricket to watch while the new competition is taking place, even if it is the second team that is playing. And the Championship will not be devalued by teams having to play matches under-strength.

09 Feb 2017, 13:19 #6

Still fail to see the logic. If 50 over cricket is undergoing a revival internationally, why time your only domestic comp to clash with the T20o comp? Our best players will only get exposure to T20 domestically and whilst the two forms of the game are converging in terms of approach, they are not the same.

If the aim was to prepare our players for international cricket we would be beefing up our 50 over comp and downgrading our T20 comp - since at an international level 50 over cricket is still played more than 20 over cricket.

So, it really is just about money raising. I agree that money is needed to invest back in the game, but it seems odd that this is then at the expense of player development at the professional level

09 Feb 2017, 14:04 #7

What IS depressing to the County Championship supporter is that 39 days, in the best weather and during the school holidays, are to be taken out of the season.

There are 175 days, this approaching season, between first ball bowled and last, but two weeks at the start and one week at the end are outside the traditional window, so the real season is more like 155 days, from late April to mid-September. AND THIS GARBAGE HAS PINCHED A QUARTER OF IT, AND THE BEST QUARTER.

All winter we dream of the green fields of summer, those long, companionable days under the sun, but our grounds will be empty until sunset, when they will echo to the sound of the moronic drunks attracted to a game they care nothing for.

The fans said they didn't want T20 in a block; the members said they didn't want franchises. But Fuhrer Graves is going to march on Stalingrad anyway.

The sensible solution is so much simpler. Play 3 or 4 rounds of Championship cricket to get the season started. Then break off for a week or so of T20. Repeat this pattern all season, 4 chunks of fun T20 sandwiched between 5 of Championship.

The fans will be able to afford it, the players will be mentally rested.

50 over cricket? I hope it will die completely, as it deserves to. But a regional competition, out of season in Dubai or Windies, for England-qualified players only, should interest tour operators and TV, and would feed into the England team.
Bowlers win matches

09 Feb 2017, 14:35 #8

I agree that 50 over cricket will die, possibly sooner rather than later. 2019 might even be the last world cup. I personally enjoy the 50 over format, but three formats is no longer feasible - it probably never was.

09 Feb 2017, 16:00 #9

Key point:

Thoughts?
Can spot many flaws with these proposals.

A Twenty20 tournament in July is not feasible from attracting quality Overseas players when it clashes with the Caribbean Premier League.

The current Future Tours Programme goes up to Summer 2019, international scheduling thereafter is unknown when the ICC are currently implementing plans for a Test and ODI Championship. In theory the ECB could not schedule test cricket in July if they want to hold a T20 competition.

As for curtailing the 50 over competition, Counties will never vote for that when it still generates revenue and gives all 18 sides an equal chance of winning silverware. Such a proposal is likely to affect membership numbers of non-test counties and threaten their futures, which goes against Colin Graves wishes for counties to achieve financial self-sufficiency.

Surely it is in the interests of multi-format players like Ben Stokes, Joe Root, Mark Wood etc to play in the flagship Twenty20 tournament and have it's own dedicated slot in the domestic calendar. Otherwise it becomes a Mini T20 Blast.
No Pyrah, no party

09 Feb 2017, 17:21 #10

If we can't compete with the Caribbean Premier League, then we might as well give up, now.

Australian Test players don't play in the Big Bash, except occasionally, on a one-off basis, and the foreign players it attracts are not top drawer; and our own England players will not play in the proposed ECB one, first season anyway, if I have understood the proposals.

Do our Counties really make money out of the RL50? Crowds seem similar to those in County Championship. What was new and exciting 50 years ago, seems boring today. Lord's finals are so poorly attended it's embarrassing. If Yorkshire were to get to one, I doubt I would even watch on TV.

I think T20 can be made to work - indeed it did work well - as a fun evening out for the fans and a really good generator of income, as well as a flagship for the Counties, to let the public know they actually exist. The only reason for playing fixtures in a block is to facilitate the hiring of overseas stars. That, to me, is irrelevant. Big Bash is easily the best, for reasons we have gone over repeatedly, despite the B-list stars it attracts, such as Bell and Bresnan, who won the thing.

We cannot replicate the Australian summer, with the Christmas holidays at its height and families on hand, looking for entertainment. Families with money LEAVE England in July and August! The fans, the family groups the ECB say they're trying to attract, say they can't afford 3 or 4 games in a fortnight...but Graves knows best.

It used to annoy me at work (all those years ago), when management would come to you and earnestly ask your opinion about some aspect of the job you were doing every day. Then, when you told them, based on experience and careful thought, they would say that's rubbish, you're wrong!
Bowlers win matches