Squad v South Africa

Squad v South Africa

18 Nov 2015, 19:46 #1

I see that the Telegraph and Dobell both predict the same squad for the SA tour, with six of our lads in the squad:

Root, Rashid, Plunkett and Bairstow plus Ballance and Lyth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... frica.html

18 Nov 2015, 20:18 #2

I'm sure they have better contacts than I have but I am surprised to see Lyth and Woakes in there and would have thought Compton and Footitt were the more likely names.
I would prefer to see them move forward and pick Vince but can understand Bell being in the 17. Hope to see him doing more drinks carrying and sage advice giving than batting this tour.
In a perfect world Buttler would be left out and probably Davies bought in as cover in order to give Bairstow a clear run with the gloves.

Think the squad is named tomorrow so we will see what we will see. There's usually a surprise in there somewhere.

18 Nov 2015, 23:51 #3

Interesting comments on Lyth in both pieces: I too thought his England chance had gone for now but perhaps I was wrong- it would be a big vote of confidence if he is selected in the squad, even if he doesn't start the series. Goo to see Ballance back in the mix too- I'm convinced he has an international future.

Re: the bowling, I think losing Wood and Finn is a big blow, but it may open the door to Plunkett. In his second coming as a Test cricketer he's been unfortunate enough to encounter some particularly unresponsive pitches- Lord's v SL last year stands out in the memory- so it will be good to see him get a chance on some rather spicier surfaces out in SA. I would also prefer Footitt to Woakes; I think Woakes is a good bowler but, similarly to the debate on Patto on another thread, I think he performs a similar role to Anderson so think England need something different to balance their attack. Rashid will probably be in the squad but should prepare himself for more practice carrying drinks.

19 Nov 2015, 06:56 #4

Looking at the suggested squad I wouldn't take Bell, Lyth, Jordan or Plunkett.

Quite like the idea of Tom Curran or maybe Jamie Overton as a slightly left field option.

Said before I would give KP one last chance replacing Bell as the experience. I don't care about trust issues. I don't trust Bell to score runs.

Agreed on Ballance. I was never convinced at 3. He would be great at 5.

I would play Woakes. He has upped his pace.

19 Nov 2015, 07:58 #5

Last time with England in S Africa, 2009/10, KP played in all 4 Tests and scored 171 runs at 25.28. Bell scored 313 at 44.71, second only (in runs and average) to Paul Collingwood.

Losing Wood is a real blow, and Stokes cannot be 100% certain. Finn is injured as often as Finn is tall. So it's Anderson & Broad + AN Other + SO Else + one dodgy spinner, probably.

Woakes, Jordan, Plunkett are the safer options. All can bat and field. Whether they can bowl, at that level, is to be discovered. Woakes I used to think too slow, but he seems to have put on quite a few mph. He is also a proven wicket taker, and probably has it over Plunkett in that respect, as Brooks has it over Liam for us.

Outside the group, who knows? I would consider CRAIG Overton, rather than his big girl's blouse brother. Of the young pacemen I would have gone for Ollie Stone, but I think he too is injured.

Good luck, ECB. And don't forget Tim Bresnan.
Bowlers win matches

19 Nov 2015, 10:03 #6

Ballance recalled, along with Compton.
No Bell or Rashid though.

19 Nov 2015, 10:12 #7

A quick look at the squad for SA reveals no place for Plunkett.
It's difficult to understand what he can have done wrong having trooped around the UAE in a yellow bib for weeks on end.
Why select the lad for the UAE in the first place?

19 Nov 2015, 10:28 #8

Full squad:

Alastair Cook, Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Nick Compton, Mark Footitt, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Samit Patel, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, Chris Woakes

For once the press were led up the garden path. I suppose England feel that they need a reasonably defensive spinner for the SA tour, and pointless taking Rashid on that basis. I hope they explain why Plunkett's stock has fallen so much as drinks waiter that he doesn't get a place in the squad at all. On the one hand I would rather someone be left out of a squad if they are not going to play, but on the other this seems very harsh. Pleased for Ballance. Will be interesting to see where he is in the pecking order. They could go:

Cook, Compton, Hales, Root, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Anderson, Broad, Footitt/Jordan/Woakes

I guess Ballance is competing with Compton and Hales for a place - Hales can open or go in first wicket down.

I see that Rashid is likely to play in the Big Bash. A better use of his time than drinks carrying, you would think

19 Nov 2015, 11:24 #9

Root was a no-brainer; pleased for Jonny; delighted for Gary; resigned re. Adil and don't think he'd have got a big game anyway; outraged for Liam. If you don't want a real pace-man in South Africa, where do you want one?

19 Nov 2015, 11:52 #10

Samit Patel? Not for me, sorry.
Especially with his lack of match practice.