Spirit of cricket

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Spirit of cricket

August 29th, 2017, 8:41 am #1

From BBC Sport

It's just not cricket! Club side declares to stop rivals

Pembroke County cricket clubs Carew and Cresselly have fallen out over an early declaration that decided the Division One title.

Carew declared on 18-1 after just 2.3 overs and Cresselly reached that target in two overs to win the game.

However, Cresselly could not gain enough bonus points to go above Carew, who claimed the title by one point.

The declaration was within the laws of the game but it has been questioned whether the decision was in the right spirit.

Seem to remember Brian Rose, the then Somerset Captain doing something similar, in a 1 day competition some time ago.

August 29th, 2017, 10:01 am #2

Sack the captain.

August 29th, 2017, 10:12 am #3

From BBC Sport

Pembroke County cricket clubs Carew and Cresselly have fallen out over an early declaration that decided the Division One title.

Carew declared on 18-1 after just 2.3 overs and Cresselly reached that target in two overs to win the game.

However, Cresselly could not gain enough bonus points to go above Carew, who claimed the title by one point.

The declaration was within the laws of the game but it has been questioned whether the decision was in the right spirit.

Seem to remember Brian Rose, the then Somerset Captain doing something similar, in a 1 day competition some time ago.
and the coach.

August 29th, 2017, 11:47 am #4

From BBC Sport

Disgraceful! And if I had been one of the Carew players, who didn't get a bat as a result, I would have been up in arms. Yes, you want your team to win, and to win titles, but it's also recreational cricket and you look forward all week to your game. I would have refused to pay my match subs, that is for sure. And I would have been playing elsewhere next season.

The league should call an EGM and the vote would inevitably go the way of Cresselly winning the title. While they're at it they might look at the rules of the competition. I played in the Manchester Association for a while, where there was a bonus point system, but the winning team got 20 points whatever. No bonus points. You could get up to 8 bonus points in a drawn or lost game, and you got double bonus points in a 'winning draw' situation, so you could get 16 maximum.

It was a really good system, but the league abandoned it because it was 'too complicated'. To be fair, combined with the rain rules, it could all become hellishly complex. A lawyer or a mathematician in the dressing room would beat a good player any day.

Didn't Dermot Reeve declare Warwickshire's innings in a List A game, for a similar reason? And this led to a 'no declaration' rule for one-day county matches. And they deducted points, so this cheat didn't prosper.
Bowlers win matches

August 29th, 2017, 12:07 pm #5

From BBC Sport

I must be the only one who thinks this is pretty shrewd. Worked hard all season to get themselves in the position to lock in the title.
If there's a problem it's with the league rules that have allowed it.
Call for TKC..

August 29th, 2017, 12:22 pm #6

From BBC Sport

Agree 100% with Dwight here, the fault is with the league rules, not the team abiding by them.

Also agree that a team which wins should be the maximum possible points, say 30 for a win, or whatever it may be. Never understood why a team, say with a superior bowling attack should be punished for bowling a team out cheaply.

August 29th, 2017, 1:46 pm #7

From BBC Sport

They obviously weren't very confident of own ability......

Shameful really

August 29th, 2017, 1:55 pm #8

From BBC Sport

Obviously the particular competition rules need to be re-visited. However, the spirit of the game is not only about staying (even marginally) within the rules. It is also about protecting the "good name" of the game. At the end of the day the quality of the moral decision is what determines the quality of the action. Kohlberg and Piaget would have considered this declaration to be pre-conventional. "It meets my needs - and that is all that matters". Now where have I heard that before?

August 29th, 2017, 2:24 pm #9

From BBC Sport

A certain Mr Roy Gilchrist, regarding the Laws of the Game at the time he played, remarked that if you bowl a no ball, it's one extra; if you run 10 yards past the crease and bowl the ball, it's still only one extra. Further, if you throw the ball, as well as run halfway down the pitch, it's still only one extra. And if you throw it at the batsman's head, it's still only one extra, plus a likely telling off.

The Laws of any game must be read in conjunction with common sense and in the context of past practice.
Bowlers win matches

August 29th, 2017, 3:19 pm #10

From BBC Sport

I know the spirit of cricket is hard to define but to me this over steps the mark.

One of the reasons I love cricket is that while winning should be important it shouldn't be win at all costs. I like to think some of that Victorian Gentleman's attitude still exists in cricket. Although I guess there are numerous examples that it didn't even exists in Victorian times.