So I guess it's a relegation scrap now then

So I guess it's a relegation scrap now then

09 Jun 2017, 14:00 #1

Just going off the negativity on here.

09 Jun 2017, 14:13 #2

Don't confuse negativity with a reasonable reaction to a very poor position.

In an abridged film-of-the-book 14-match season where 25% of the teams get relegated, one or two poor performances, inconvenient England call-ups and a run of bad weather puts almost any team in the relegation zone. If we continue to flounder in this match and don't get any batting bonus points we are staring at a 3-point loss - and yes, we'd be closer to the relegation zone than the top.

09 Jun 2017, 14:23 #3

Agreed, LUTyke we're 3 points from 2nd place in the table.............thankfully the players seem to have more resolve than some on here!

09 Jun 2017, 14:43 #4

That's a classic red herring, East Coast. The comments on here have little to do with the resolve of the posters, and everything to do with the state of the game.

As I have often said, the WRF is NOT a fan site per se, it is a Yorkshire cricket "discussion forum," where all reasonable opinions are welcome...positive, negative and all points in between - and where those who post here should not subjected to derision or wind-ups.

09 Jun 2017, 15:08 #5

"this game has now gone. 3 days of rain and we may get a draw."

This is a quote from the thread in the on going game. To say that when we were barely half way through the 1st innings of a 4 innings game has a lot to do with resolve/fight in my opinion. If the players had that attitude we'd never win a game.

In fact, saying that calls into question the professionalism and ability of the 11 currently, proudly, wearing the White Rose.

09 Jun 2017, 15:19 #6

That is my opinion, and I hope I am proved wrong. It is in no way a reflection on the ability or professionalism of the team. We are entitled to express opinions on this forum and we were in a dire position, or did you personally think we were doing fine at 95-6?

09 Jun 2017, 15:21 #7

I don't think it's a question of criticism of the players ECT and their professionalism more people's outlook on the game. I think it's quite pessimistic outlook on here by and large on the forum. That's not a criticism of any poster, just an observation over the few years of the postings on here and the general outlook.

09 Jun 2017, 16:03 #8

I've been involved with WRF (as a poster, moderator and owner since 2003) for nearly 19 years. And quite honestly I have never detected an overtly negative tone. Just reasonable comments around the state of the game. We love our cricket and take our team's fortunes very seriously while requiring the highest standards.

Remember too that Yorkshireman and Yorkshire women (too a lesser extent. LOL!) tend to be skeptical, honest, straight-talking, blunt, critical and very opinionated by nature - and we take our hobbies and pastimes very seriously. So in many ways the attitudes here simply mimic the basic Yorkshire personality.

As Wilfred Rhodes may have said about Yorkshire cricket: "We don't play it for fun." Perhaps to some extent, we "don't post here for fun."

09 Jun 2017, 19:04 #9

Like i said it's not a criticism, just something I've noticed. Of course others see things differently.

09 Jun 2017, 19:13 #10

I would agree that the overall tone can be negative, with some very knee jerk reactions to a bad session or a defeat, (or an England call up!). Sometimes you'd be hard pressed to remember what a great side we've had over the past five years or so. I'm too young to remember the last golden era so I appreciate the team we have now even more, having watched a lot of garbage in the 90's!