Shock/Horror

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Shock/Horror

July 8th, 2017, 8:27 am #1

..... sell out crowds at T20 matches, 10000 last night at Headingley, full houses at most grounds.

Not what the ECB want, as according to them, the T20 is a dying competition, with reducing crowds and they HAVE to bring the city based competition into town.

July 8th, 2017, 8:44 am #2

Place for both. Lastnight showed it's the format people actually want to go and watch.
Call for TKC..

July 8th, 2017, 9:43 am #3

..... sell out crowds at T20 matches, 10000 last night at Headingley, full houses at most grounds.

Not what the ECB want, as according to them, the T20 is a dying competition, with reducing crowds and they HAVE to bring the city based competition into town.
They think they can get more people and of a different demographic, especially tv viewers. Its not just the ecb, by and large the counties are on board with it.

July 8th, 2017, 9:47 am #4

The counties were initially against it, until they were bribed with 1.3m a year by the ECB. Do you really think that Counties like Northants, who will not get a franchise despite winning the T20 last year, would have voted themselves out of existence without the 1.3M bribe?

July 8th, 2017, 9:49 am #5

Bribed, not really is it? There's nothing illegal about it.

Do this job.
No.
Do it and I'll give you 500 quid.
Okay.

Is that a bribe?

Perhaps there shouldn't have been any payment at all. Bet they'd be pleased as punch about that!

July 8th, 2017, 10:12 am #6

I know it is not illegal. Shall we call it an "incentive" to agree, which no county is going to turn down. I doubt if any would have signed up without the "incentive".

July 8th, 2017, 10:23 am #7

.... and a pretty puny incentive, as well.
About the same money for each county as Stokes got for six weeks work in India.

No need at all to invent another competition, when the one we have works well and involves all the counties.

I support all those contributors who see the new competition as an existential long-term threat to the integrity of the County structure.

July 8th, 2017, 10:30 am #8

Of course they wouldn't have signed up because it wouldn't be in their financial interest, with the payments it now is.

This happens in all areas of life, sport and business, I'm not sure why you're trying to dress it up as being somehow unusual or underhand.

July 8th, 2017, 11:04 am #9

Whatever the rights/wrongs of incentives/payments/bribes (take your pick!) my overwhelming feeling is that this new competition just isn't needed.
The competition we've got attracts the best overseas players apart from the Indians, cricket supporters CARE about their counties and will (mostly!) support them in all formats, crowds have been rising significantly for a few years now. By all means "relaunch" the blast, throw everything behind it in terms of promoting it and give it some free to air coverage but tearing it up and starting again? Ridiculous.

July 8th, 2017, 11:30 am #10

Sootieyorkie --- I was not trying to indicate that it was shady or underhand, and I apologise if it came across as that.

The point I am making is that most of the counties were against it initially and for a long period afterwards as being not needed in addition to the existing competition. It was only when the payments were offered, that the counties changed their point of view, barring two who stuck to their original principles.