September

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September

August 14th, 2017, 11:44 am #1

Can anyone explain to me the logic of having four County games in September - none of which have any play at a weekend...?
Given that there are no one day games planned for that time - couldn't they all have included Saturday and/or Sunday play...?

August 14th, 2017, 11:50 am #2

Excellent question !
The only ( illogical ) response I have is at least it gives us something to talk about on this Forum !

August 14th, 2017, 12:29 pm #3

Can anyone explain to me the logic of having four County games in September - none of which have any play at a weekend...?
Given that there are no one day games planned for that time - couldn't they all have included Saturday and/or Sunday play...?
Agree Steve - it would have made sense, but as I have said on many occasions in the past, when has sense and the ECB ever gone hand in hand. Common sense is the last thing on their mind when compiling the fixtures, as evident very clearly on 5 or 6 occasions already this season.

What an excellent climax to the season it would have made, the 2nd last and last day of the CC season on Saturday & Sunday.

August 14th, 2017, 2:44 pm #4

Sorry cant understand that or virtually anything else this season, it just hasn't happened for me cold weather early on when the real cricket is played, no doubt cold wet and windy in Sept with a 2 day CC match in the middle for which I was going for the last 2 days instead i walked around Scarbro like a lost sole reminiscing and wondering what the hell is going on with our game. Doubt very much if full membership will ever again be even considered for me or my good lady . Gutted

August 14th, 2017, 4:28 pm #5

Thankfully I missed the recent debacle at Scarborough due to a family holiday. However, I have spent the whole season wondering what is happening to the first class county game. I've been a member of YCCC for 26 years and have long accepted that as I work full time and live about 60 miles from both Headingley and Scarborough that I will not see enough cricket to cover the cost of membership. I accept that this is my choice. However, this season's crazy scheduling has meant I have only seen 1 days cricket. I don't personally enjoy T20, although I accept that it attracts a large audience, and therefore needs a place. But does it have to fill a large part of the Summer to the exclusion of the first class game? Come September, why preclude members who work from enjoying county cricket by removing Saturday and Sunday play? I don't think my grumble is unreasonable, but the powers that be at the ECB don't seem to be interested in the views or needs of members or genuine cricket lovers. The whole domestic structure seems to have been sold to the highest bidder, and the ECB has sold its own soul on the alter of franchised T20, together with innumerable ODI's and T20 internationals. Still I suppose my £205 subs aren't going to amount to anything as far as Messers Harrison, Strauss and Graves are concerned, so I may as well stop ranting and go away. Very reluctantly I think this will be my last year as a member.

August 14th, 2017, 6:10 pm #6

The last weekend first team cricket in Yorkshire was the first day of the Essex game. Basically they are doing everything they can to stop anyouy who works watching cricket.

August 14th, 2017, 7:16 pm #7

Dear North Riding

I empathise with your heartfelt cry; the 2017 schedule of fixtures has seemed particularly perverse. Like you, I am no fan of T20, but recognise that it has its followers and they have a legitimate place. I know of long-standing YCCC members who will have seen no county cricket of any sort for over two months when Yorkshire play their next Championship fixture on September 5. In fact, I was talking on the telephone to one such, only yesterday. We have enjoyed each other's company, watching YCCC, at Headingley (and in many other places) for over 20 years. Now in his seventies, he feels that he can only get to the Headingley fixtures, as he gets a lift from Sheffield (he does not drive himself). Whilst he attends 50-over games, the journey from Sheffield and back (at night-time) for T20 is not an attractive proposition. This season, with the reduction of Championship fixtures, only 5 games have been played at Headingley. For him, what was once a significant part of his summer-time existence, has been reduced to a maximum of 20 days and in reality (due to early finishes and inevitable time lost to weather and light) rather less. In addition, the introduction of the day/night fixture was an unwelcome development for many older members, living in more distant areas. He feels pretty fed-up, and like you suggested that he would not be renewing his membership. That might just be frustration leading to rejection and he might change his mind when the renewal pack arrives through his letter-box. I understand his and your positions, but I hope that he continues his membership; I would miss him tremendously and we only see each other at Headingley these days.

I fully understand that County Cricket is not financially viable of itself, but it is a sporting expression of the nation's historical development. Of course, "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk" and it seems as though the interests of members are being over-looked in search of crowds. How long before the First Class game is abandoned at County level? What a loss that would be to the cultural life of the nation. "As long as I can have you here with me I'd much rather be forever in blue jeans". Perhaps it is only lovers who are prepared to dress down for each other. As to the future, it worries me that "the king has no clothes" at all, and when the masses realise that they are being sold an inferior product, which excites, but cannot inspire affection, let alone genuine love, they will walk away and the kingdom will, shorn of its essential dignity and replaced with barbaric slogging, become a once-great but deserted remnant. I am not convinced that those who have control of the game at national and county levels truly know and understand the forces with which they are dealing. More worryingly, I am not sure that they care. In business the bottom line lies in the profit margin. Love, affection, nurture and preservation of quality do not come into it.

August 14th, 2017, 8:07 pm #8

Could it be that whoever was doing the fixtures thought they were doing everyone a favour by leaving the weekends to football.

It's the only reason I can come up with.

Being retired myself I don't particularly mind and if I'm not going to watch at least I know that R5SX will probably have some cricket on midweek to listen to.

Weekends it will be football, or more annoyingly talk, talk, talk, and more talk about B***** premiership football.

August 14th, 2017, 8:18 pm #9

I haven't looked but when is T20 finals day? - that might be the reason for the scheduling of the weekend free championship games in Sept? Mon start so finish Thurs therefore time to prepare before finals day and start Tues in case rain takes finals day into finals weekend.

Agree about the fixture list but there is cricket out there! I've had great fun watching 2nds eleven games at Pudsey, Worksop,York and Alverston CC (near Derby) in the last month plus the England under 19s at Chesterfield, all of which were free.

August 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm #10

Finals day is 2nd of September.