September

14 Aug 2017, 21:28 #11

Can anyone explain to me the logic of having four County games in September - none of which have any play at a weekend...?
Given that there are no one day games planned for that time - couldn't they all have included Saturday and/or Sunday play...?
As a transplanted Yorkshireman and avid cricket fan living in Halifax, Canada, I admit to being a little detached from the shenanigans of the ECB. However, I must say that I consider the ECB to be one of the most incompetent sports government bodies in any of the myriad of sports I follow on a regular basis. It's as if they deliberately set out on a day-to-day mission to sell the sport down the river, while diminishing the County Championship in particular.

The fixture list is seemingly randomly assembled by a Basil Fawlty wannabe for the maximum contempt of cricket fans - with long breaks in the championship schedule which destroys interest and the momentum a good title race generates.

Playing 50% of Championship matches in the dodgy weather months of April and September with no weekend days in September when most of us have used up our holiday allotments also suggests that the Dunning-Kruger syndrome is endemic in the ECB bunker. And I won’t go on about demoting 25% of the teams each season in sport significantly impacted by the vagaries of the weather - all in a truncated 14-match season.

The seemingly arbitrary decisions as to which contracted players get to turn out for their home teams, further diminishes all three domestic competitions. This was perhaps best illustrated last year when an exciting Championship race came down to the final match of the season between Yorkshire and Middlesex. A wonderful chance to promote the 4-day game? Not to the ECB braintrust, who decided to “rest” Yorkshire’s two world class batsmen - neither who had played during the previous two weeks and despite the fact that our overseas player and a top batsmen had been press-ganged back to Oz. The result was a show case opportunity lost and essentially handing the title to Middlesex.

To be continued.

14 Aug 2017, 21:49 #12

Can anyone explain to me the logic of having four County games in September - none of which have any play at a weekend...?
Given that there are no one day games planned for that time - couldn't they all have included Saturday and/or Sunday play...?
The fixture list hasn't worked out too well for me this summer, either. Working full-time but living in Leeds, I generally go to most home T20s and as many 50 over and Championship matches that fall on weekends as I can, but due to various reasons (lack of cricket at weekends, poor weather, three home T20s falling in the week I was on holiday) so far this season I have made only one RL50 match, one day of Championship cricket and 2 home T20s. Northants on Thursday will be the last day of cricket I'll be able to attend this summer- and it doesn't even feel like the season has got started...

14 Aug 2017, 21:54 #13

As I understand it there are two reasons why championship matches are not being played at weekends.
First, the counties don't want it - they can not sell corporate packages when businessmen are not at work.
Secondly, the ECB accept that amateur cricketers play at weekends and so can not attend county matches at the same time. This is a bit of a nonsense as they can not attend in mid-week because of work commitments.
Geoff

14 Aug 2017, 21:55 #14

As it is, the season ends on Thursday 28 September.
If the suggestion of playing the last four CC matches at a weekend was adopted with Friday starts, the season would end four days later on Monday 2 October.

14 Aug 2017, 23:04 #15

Thanks Brickyard Boy for the supportive comment. It's so sad for the genuine cricket lover whether working or retired that the game is being carved up by commercial business interests. Obviously the ECB needs to attract sponsorship and investment. In short it obviously needs to market forms of the game that bring in big money. However, if in doing this they compromise the integrity of the first class game they risk killing the competition itself. I seriously wonder if there will be any county cricket left to watch by the time I retire. Could it be that if the ECB didn't need the first class game to 'feed' Team England' they would have abolished the domestic first class structure by now. And do they care about the spectator? I would suggest only if that spectator is attending regular T20 games or buying a Sky subscription.

15 Aug 2017, 05:42 #16

As a club cricketer who works full time, I find it incredibly frustrating when Sunday comes along and there is no Yorkshire cricket to watch, particularly on a nice day like the Sunday just gone. Admittedly the team's performances this season have made the fact that I will not see any more live cricket this year a little easier to accept, but still, that is beside the point. If there had been the option to go and watch part of our last four matches on a Sunday I would have taken it.

Even a couple more T20s on a Sunday instead of Thursday and Wednesday "school" nights would have been something.

15 Aug 2017, 07:23 #17

I think the competitive season goes on too long and there are far too many blank days in it for cricket supporters.

A couple of T20 double headers for each team and playing all the quarter-finals on the same day would be a good start to help squeeze thing up a bit.

Cricket in early April/Late September should be restricted to friendlies.

15 Aug 2017, 08:38 #18

Cricket at the end of September is as daft as football in mid august

15 Aug 2017, 08:46 #19

If all 18 counties played every week, we would not need to play at the end of September. That would only need 14 weeks for the CC, leaving ample time between mid-April and mid-September for the 50 over and 20 over competitions to be blocked. One early season and one in July/early August.

15 Aug 2017, 09:27 #20

I've been strangely disconnected from the cricket season this year.
I simply haven't been able to get to games - and on two occasions (Scarborough and Lords) when i'd planned days at the cricket there turned out to be no play...

This long break for T20 simply doesn't work for me.