Sarfraz Ahmed

24 Jul 2017, 15:31 #11

Apparently signed for 5 Blast matches subject to being granted a visa. Assume he's replacing Handscomb when he goes.
According to Sky Sports, the Aussie Training camp is still on, and it starts 10/8, but the tour that follows to Bangladesh has been cancelled, due to the on-going pay dispute.

This means no Hanscomb from the Essex CC match onwards, so Sarfraz should replace him as soon as he gets his Visa through. Once that happens, we can dispense with Marsh and Hanscomb in the CC, but keep Marsh to play alongside Sarfraz in the T20.

24 Jul 2017, 15:38 #12

Apparently signed for 5 Blast matches subject to being granted a visa. Assume he's replacing Handscomb when he goes.
Shaun Marsh will play County Championship matches when Handscomb is away is my understanding. Do you know anything different Stu?

24 Jul 2017, 15:44 #13

No Alan.

More wishful thinking than anything else. I know which I would prefer playing CC for us in September and v Essex in August, out of Hanscomb, Marsh & Sarfraz, and it would not be either of the Aussies.

24 Jul 2017, 15:48 #14

This seems far from official - nothing from the club at all. Apparently the same source said Imad Wasim had signed for Durham and that hasn't happened either.

24 Jul 2017, 15:51 #15

We seem to be stuck waiting for this Aussie saga to be sorted..

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... Handscomb/
My darling Maxi

24 Jul 2017, 15:55 #16

They are waiting to find out what is exactly happening with Handscomb. Cricket Australia need to make a decision so then Yorkshire can move for Safraz or not. Yorkshire need to know come mid week and then Moxon can make a decision.

24 Jul 2017, 16:27 #17

From Cricinfo 15/7

"....Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed has signed for Yorkshire as an overseas player for the NatWest T20 Blast.

Sarfraz, captain of the Champions Trophy winning side a few weeks ago, replaces Australian Peter Handscomb, who is scheduled to attend a training camp ahead of Australia's tour of Bangladesh although that series could yet get caught up in the ongoing pay dispute....."

This suggests he has already signed. The T&A article suggests he has not yet signed, but may do.

Has he signed or not??

24 Jul 2017, 16:28 #18

My natural reaction would be to say let him go as arranged.

That might have a lot to do with the fact that he hasn't actually been a runaway success of course. If he'd been scoring centuries all over the place I would have been desperate to keep him if at all possible.

I'd like to see Sarfraz come in but it's only for 5 matches so it can be seen as a bit of a mercenary move I suppose.

Being sensitive to the current situation and keeping him on could forge a relationship, with a hopefully improving Handscombe, for seasons to come.

Good luck with that one Martin.

24 Jul 2017, 18:16 #19

Can Sarfraz play in the knockouts? If the answer is yes then he can replace Handscomb for me with Marsh playing CC.

25 Jul 2017, 10:12 #20

If I recall correctly, we had a similar problem last year. I think Sarfraz will have to be signed up before the k-o stages start for him to be able to play in those matches.

It needs sorting PDQ.

Is he or is he not coming? If he is get him signed up and his visa in place before the quarter-finals start (4 weeks today).

If we do sign him, he may as well play in the CC right up to the end of the season instead of Marsh or Hanscomb and alongside Marsh in the T20.